An Odd Sickness!

Guest Imotive

Guest Imotive

About a year ago my green budgie died due to an unknown illness. It started with a faint clicking sound and turned into a loud clciking sound which made the tail go up and down a lot. During this time the budgie lost conciousness and fell from its pole and i was almost sure he was a goner. He then made it trough 3 more months! Then he died :) I was very sad

I would like to know what killed it!

Plz help me!!!

Edited by Imotive

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

it sounds like some sort of seizure to me imotive, ive just done a quick search, but as yet i havent found an exact match regarding symptoms. If i come up with anything that may be of help, i will paste it in for you. I have found however that it is not totally uncommon for budgies to suffer from seizures. If I can come up with something more precise, i will get right back.

Anne

okay, here's a bit of info, i will find more detail if i can..

*quote*

Listen to the bird breathe. If you can hear 'clicking' sounds this may be a sign of air sac mites or other respiratory problems. A wheezing budgie is not a healthy budgie.

okay, on further investigation, (far too many to c and p unfortunately) everything seems to point to some sort of respiratory disease. This is often accompanied by the 'clicking' sound you describe, tho not the happy beak click that budgies sometimes do. It is possible that at these times, there wasnt enough oxygen getting into your budgies blood, and, like us humans, lack of oxygen can cause 'fainting' or brief unconciousness. Air sac mites are often a cause of respiratory problems, and can be hard to detect, its not like they are as noticeable as headlice in a fine haired blond child. Respiratory disease can often be fatal in small birds, so its well possible this was the cause of your birds demise.

why dont you ring up your local/own avian vet and ask if yuo can have a quick chat on the phone, and see what he/see says regarding these symptoms?

Im so sorry you lost your pet, and sometimes investigating WHY can be quite painful, bringing back sad memories, but it can also be a valuable learning curve from which you can only benefit.

I hope ive been of some help, and Im sorry i was unable to find a deffinate answer for you. My admiration goes to you for seeking out answers.

Anne xx

Edited by chirpy
Guest Imotive

Oh thank you so much Chirpy I really appreciate your efforts and not that I know any better I would think it was the air sac mites, but i wonder how do they get there...maybe it was my sisters lice she had when she was 6...maybe...(I am not going to torture her...)

Thank you,

Steven Anthony Le Piane

heh, they deffinately not from yur sis! most likely they came from another infected bird, did you get him from petshop or an aviary/breeder? thats the most likely place they'll have come from if it was that. human lice cant invade a budgies resiritory system, so please dont boil your sis! :)

ah, right, so it probably wasnt mites in that case, unless they had been lurking unnoticed in his feathers all that time (possible, but unlikely) It does sound like a basic respiratory infection then, and even the slightest chill or cold can kick that off. Other trigger factors can be fumes from airfreshers or any airosols, cooking fumes from highly heated none stick pans (teflon) scented candles, etc. All of these can fatally irritate a birds respiratory system, and I have heard many times that the fabric freshener Febreze is suspected as being one of the worst offenders.

Anne

Guest Imotive

AHHHHH!!!!!1 my mom has air fresheners everywhere and she uses frebreeze...better go give her a mouthing or something along those lines...I won't be using that anymore thankyou very much I never knew....