• Topic Count:  198
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,737
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  11,910
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  25/09/1970

i just wondering if budgies during winter are quietier. The weather is getting cooler and it has been raining for 2 weeks now so i have noticed the birds in the aviary are not as active. Even my inside birds are quietier, is this normal behaviour for budgies to do when the weather changes.Does anyone else notice any differences in their budgies.

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I have noticed a little change. More keeping warm, but they are just as noisy. This constant rain has got them all primed for breeding. Night time rain often results in night chirping.

• Member ID:  2,384
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,172
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  7,460
  • Birthday:  25/08/1981

Mine do go quieter during cold weather, they are still noisy but its a tolerable noise- not like the summer morning wakeups I usually get!!

Our weather seems to go from hot to real cold in a matter of days and it seems to take the birds a bit of time adjusting to the cold.

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

I think they probably do get a little quieter in the cooler time of year, but I think if they are quite at the moment you wouldn't blame them, like you say two weeks rain every day & the last two days here have even been wetter, pouring rain, hardly a sign of sun, cold, it's getting me down, don't know about the Budgies, but I'm worried about disease with everything so soggy.

Really thinking back it's almost three weeks here, we were getting our solar hot water put on, on the 7th, they almost didn't come because it was raining at Port Macquarie, [bit less than an hours drive from here] but we told them it was fine here, so they came, but before they finished it was raining heavy showers here too. Since then it hasn't stopped, I mean some days we only had showers, but every day since then. After two days we turned on the electric booster as the water was still cold, we left it on for one day then switched it off & up till yesterday we were still getting hot water, hot enough for a shower, so I'm pretty impressed with that, shouldn't have any need for the booster in normal times, as they are saying on the TV that the eleven days they have had straight rain in Sydney is the first time in fifteen years.

Glug!…Glug!!…Glug!!! as we sink into the ooz…

As Dorothy Mackellar says "A Land Of Droughts & Flooding Rains"

Edited by Norm

• Member ID:  3,867

I think they probably do get a little quieter in the cooler time of year, but I think if they are quite at the moment you wouldn't blame them, like you say two weeks rain every day & the last two days here have even been wetter, pouring rain, hardly a sign of sun, cold, it's getting me down, don't know about the Budgies, but I'm worried about disease with everything so soggy.

Really thinking back it's almost three weeks here, we were getting our solar hot water put on, on the 7th, they almost didn't come because it was raining at Port Macquarie, [bit less than an hours drive from here] but we told them it was fine here, so they came, but before they finished it was raining heavy showers here too. Since then it hasn't stopped, I mean some days we only had showers, but every day since then. After two days we turned on the electric booster as the water was still cold, we left it on for one day then switched it off & up till yesterday we were still getting hot water, hot enough for a shower, so I'm pretty impressed with that, shouldn't have any need for the booster in normal times, as they are saying on the TV that the eleven days they have had straight rain in Sydney is the first time in fifteen years.

thats great that your solar hot water works well, we have not seen the sun for 2 weeks now and i am also worried about diseases in the aviary. normally the floor of my aviary does not get wet but it is damp now because of all the constant rain. They are predicting the weather to fine up tomorrow, i hope so. My kids are on school holidays so it will fine up the first day they go back. :lol:

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Yes Deb, my aviaries are all completely closed, but the air is so wet that everything is moist. Yes the kids going back to school that’s our only hope …LOL…Mum’s in the east must have had a busy time.

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

Mine do go quieter during cold weather, they are still noisy but its a tolerable noise- not like the summer morning wakeups I usually get!!

Our weather seems to go from hot to real cold in a matter of days and it seems to take the birds a bit of time adjusting to the cold.

PIE ! THE PIE ! Where have you been ? I missed you so !

Oh ... Winter. Yes deb, even over here in Canada I noticed in late October & going into November, (our winter) ... that my birds were less active. They seemed more quiet & not interested much in playing & they had a light molt also. I would put on more lights in the den during the day to give the impression that there was sunlight in the room. But they knew the difference & settled into the season being laid back & boring & lazy. Interesting to watch that ! Now that Spring is on ... I have 2 bird maniacs to deal with. Bright & early chirping & playing & another dang molt too !

Do you get snow where you are ? or just cold & rain ?

• Member ID:  3,867

i do not get snow, just cold and wet especially at the moment very wet.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Birds across the board wild or tame are less active, I always though Robins go south but learned that they hang around but they are quiet when spring comes everyone is chirping and flirting it is nature's way, it is due more to the daylight hours in the winter being shorter and spring getting longer then the weather. This affects all animals not just birds.