Is Golden/yellowface Recessive Or Dominant?

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

I'm a little confused so I'm just wondering if goldenface is recessive or dominant? Can my goldenface birds be split for another colour? We get a very eclectic mix of coloured babies but I basically only have three different colors in males GFT2, GFT2 greywing and skyblue greywing. In females I also have a couple of yellow/blue pieds but I haven't seen these breed, which leaves one skyblue greywing and one GFT2.

The three babies I have at the moment are GFT2, blue(darker than skyblue) greywing and a normal blue. Where would the normal blue baby have come from as I don;t have any adults this colour. As far as I kno these are all from one clutch BUT mum may have slept around :offtopic:

Sorry meant to add that mum is the skyblue greywing

Edited by melbournebudgies

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I'm a little confused so I'm just wondering if goldenface is recessive or dominant? dominant

Can my goldenface birds be split for another colour? We get a very eclectic mix of coloured babies but I basically only have three different colors in males GFT2, GFT2 greywing and skyblue greywing. In females I also have a couple of yellow/blue pieds but I haven't seen these breed, which leaves one skyblue greywing and one GFT2. Golden Face is the term referred to the coloring of the face of the bird not the base color of the bird which is yellow (green series) or white (blue series bird). Golden Faces are a blue based bird with a yellow face so they can only produce blue series birds since blue is recessive to green. Greywing is another gene in itself and is recessive which means both the parents need to carry this gene to be expressed you can find this gene in both green and blue series birds.

The three babies I have at the moment are GFT2, blue(darker than skyblue) greywing and a normal blue. Where would the normal blue baby have come from as I don;t have any adults this colour. As far as I kno these are all from one clutch BUT mum may have slept around :offtopic: What are the parents of the normal baby? Colors are produced by dark factors and how many are there or even absent. There are 3 shades sky blue - no dark factor, cobalt - 1 dark factor and mauve - 2 dark factors so when you say blue what type of blue or is it a violet? Do you have a picture of parents & baby so we can determine better there are so many reasons why. Now if the mom as you said slept around and you colony bred they will mate with more then 1 male that is why when you want certain expections it is best to close bred, budgies are not ones to mate for life. So if both your parents are greywings then that is what happened and how you got the normal.

Sorry meant to add that mum is the skyblue greywing

• Member ID:  3,708
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,285

Good genetic articles on the parblue mutations (YF1, YF2 & GF)...

http://www.bestofbreeds.net/al-nasser/article12.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/k_jones/clwyd/gray.htm

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/c...d/parblu04.html

http://birdhobbyist.com/parrotcolour/peter/yface01.html

But here is the summary of the combined articles:

Yellowface Mutant 1

The Yellowface type 1 variety visually is a pale lemon yellow that replaces the normally white areas of a blue budgerigar and does not mix with the body color. Although a green can carry this gene, it is only visually seen in the blue series. This includes albino (creamino), dark eyed clear, grey and violets in all their three depths of shades. There are currently two schools of thought on this mutation genetics/inheritance. Perhaps eventually we’ll know with certainty which form is correct.

The currently established thought is that this is a mutation that has a single factor (byf1b) which visually produces a yellow face, and double factor form (byf1byf1) which visually produces a white face blue that is separate than the normal “true” white face blue variety (bb).

A new viewpoint takes this a step further that the yellowface is a representation of a combination of two types of blue genes. With this line of thinking the two types of blue (b1b1 and b2b2) when paired with itself is a white faced blue, but when combined (b1b2) produces the visually recognized yellowface variety.

Yellowface Mutant 2

The yellowface type 2 mutation is dominant in nature and comes in a single factor and double factor form. In the single factor version you find the same yellow face with an evenly colored sea-green blue body color. The double factor form is a pale lemon yellow that replaces the white areas of the blue series and changes the upper portion of the body color a blue-green color while the bottom areas of the bird remain blue in color. The spread of the yellow into the body color becomes more progressive with each successive molting.

Goldenface

The goldenface works like that of the yellowface mutant 2, except it is a separate mutation genetically. There is however a difference in the color of the yellow, where the goldenface is described as a rich golden buttercup yellow instead of it’s paler cousin. In a single factor form it creates an even deep sea-green color. In the double factor form the head is golden and the yellow bleeds into the upper portion of the body color creating a dark blue-green while the lower portions retain the blue coloring. The spread of the yellow into the body color becomes more progressive with each successive molting.

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

It is a dominate gene ...

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

okay, well here goes, I'm pretty sure my males are double factor type 2 goldenface, they are very bright yellow. The babies are the three shown in my budgies for sale notice. The only one that I would say has a lemon colored face is the baby and given they are baby feathers I figure it will brighten up after the first moult.

The mother is a skyblue greywing, the baby greywing is cobalt. The male she has mainly been seen 'cavorting' with is a cobalt greywing like the baby but we have a goldenface baby as well so I gess she has slept around. It sounds as though the normal can come from the two greywings?

I always thought the Double Factor Yellow Face Gene shows a visually white face blue series bird? :D

it does Elly, in the YF type 1

not in Type 2? then...I always thought so I learned something new

correct... the YF2 and GF do not turn into white faces in double factor form... but it does change the "look" of how the yellow bleeds. Which gives a very similiar effect, by reducing the amount of yellow produced but whereas the YF1 double factor removes the yellow completely, the YF2 and GF double factors only remove the yellow partially (from the lower areas of the body) where the single factor would have been evenly spread throughout the body.

I do have some YF2's and GF's in my breeding and found the information provided by the research I did to match with my own experiences with them. Was very enlightening to learn, and explains why some people consider the yellowface genetics to be 'complex'.

Edited by Ravengypsy

so the question I have is that a light yellow face 2 is a double factor then?

I have photos of the single factor versus the double factors on the color guide so you can compare between them... the YF2 double factor vs single factor has more to do with how it spreads through the body feathers not the darkness of the yellow involved. The lighter yellows are generally YF2 and the darker yellows are generally GF in my experience, I'm not sure if that's what your meaning by 'lighter'?

They say that GF and YF are 2 different genes in saying this it would make them one and the same? Sorry for so many questions I love learning about this stuff.

they are genetically seperate mutations but act similiar in how they work as far as distribution of the yellow coloring, the intensity of the yellow is different though depending on YF2 or GF.

If you pair a (SF) YF2 x (SF) GF = the goldenface is dominant to the YF2, so you'd have genetically:

25% YF2 (SF)

25% GF (SF)

25% YF2 (SF) GF (SF) {looks like a GF single factor}

25% normals

If you pair a (DF) YF2 x (DF) GF =

all chicks would be YF2 (SF) GF (SF) and look visually like a GF single factor.

If you pair a (DF) YF2 x (SF) GF =

50% YF2 (SF)

50% YF2 (SF) GF (SF)

Now lets try something fun, a (SF) YF2 x (SF) YF2 (SF) GF =

YF2 (DF)

YF2 (SF)

YF2 (DF) GF (SF)

YF2 (SF) GF (SF)

GF (SF)

Normals

.... as you can see they are seperate mutations, and could come up with some interesting looks... this works similair to how the German Fallow and English Fallow are similair in apperance and inheritance but genetically seperate mutations.

okay so are their color differences between the

Double Factor GF

Double Factor YF2

Then the single factor of both of them?

How can you tell?

see if this helps any... you should be able to tell all 4 of them them apart visually.

single factor YF2: (lemon yellow face with even body color in a teal-ish color)

YF2 sky

image027.jpg

double factor YF2: (note how the yellow/green color is not even in the body)

YF2 sky

image030.jpg

single factor GF: (a golden yellow face with an evenly colored green-tinted body, usually blue under the wings and vent)

GF Cobalt

image031.jpg

double factor GF: (golden yellow face with the green at the top of the body and blue at the bottom, not evenly distributed)

GF Cobalt

image032.jpg

...and just for refrence here is the YF1 (single factor):

YF1 Cobalt

image025.jpg

also note that the sky is more teal in color whereas the cobalt would be more green in color... you'd be surprised how easily it can be to misidentify a single factor cobalt GF from a normal green.... the example shown of which is one of my birds which is in fact a cobalt GF but looks at first like a green type.

Edited by Ravengypsy

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

a double factore type 2 yellowface just gets less bleed of the yellow into the body it will not strenghten or weaken the colour of the face. the bleed that does happen can appear more patchy.

raven's pics are correct in showing how the double and single works.