Just bought 16 budgies

Guest eaglesoaring11

Guest eaglesoaring11

I just bought 16 budgies, and they all have been paired up with 8 large cages, But what I domt know is How big does the breeding cages have to be? and will I need 8 or 16?

Thank you,

jay :parrot:

Guest budgeover

i have no idea. I would think you need an aviary of some kind. I wouldhave researched all that before buying 16 budgies. (Laughing out loud)

Arethey nice colours?

Guest eaglesoaring11

yes, I do have an avairy, I breed 35 pairs of lovebirds, 20 pairs of cockatiels, and 8 pairs of Yellow Canary's. plus other single pairs sets of parrots. No, I have never had the chance until now to have any experiance with Budgies, Im just sorta diving into the deep end here. I bought them all for 35.00 from a pet store that was going under, and the cages for 8.00 per cage (2'x2'x3') so I couldnt pass up the opportunity, and they told me they were 8 males and 8 females. 2 are all yellow, 4 are all white, 4 white w/light blue under the face. 2 yellow w/green spots and 2 blue with black stripes that look like this :P and 2 green with black strips. But am just a begginer with budgies, not breeding.

Thanks,

jason :P

Guest eaglesoaring11

And this is where I am hoping that you can help me with some questions when they pop up, You guys seem to be pretty quick with the answers and I really appreciate that thank you very much.

Thanks,

Jay

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

okay as pixie25 said you will find lots of information over in the breeding area. Also I would suggest finding some books about budgies to read, your local library should have a few. To me the cages sound a bit small for one budgie let alone two. Are you planing on making a space for them in your aviary? Or are do you have all the bird in together, that can work as long as each type of bird have there own space to get away from the others. Now, breeding cage, well I would say the bigger the better. Something around 15 X 25 inches would be a nice size.

2 are all yellow, 4 are all white.

Now I'll try not to confuse you with colours too much but there are two ways to get an all yellow or all white budgie. If your yellow ones have red tinted eyes then they are called Lutino. If not they are dark-eyed clears. With the white ones the same thing again. A red eye means Albino a normal eye means dark-eyed clear.

Confused yet? IF you don?t care then just skip over this, but if you are interested with breeding it does help to have knowledge of the genetics and how they come about so you can set about getting the colour you want.

4 white w/light blue under the face. 2 yellow w/green spots 

These would be pied birds. the blue and white ones sound a bit like recessive pieds, you can tell if they have a white ring around their eye called a iris, If the DO then they are Dominant, if not Recessive.

and 2 blue with black stripes that look like this  and 2 green with black strips.

Theses are normals in the blue line and green line of colours :P I've read that these are good to have in your breeding stock to keep genetics strong.

Hope this didn't mess you all up and I hope to hear more about how your new flock is getting on, tell us which ones have you paired up? Any chance of seeing some pics?