• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,715
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/07/1987

Oh my goodness,

i have a HUGE phobia of cockroaches, and l barely ever go out to see my birds after dusk as l like to let them sleep, but l went outside and noticed their feeders were both low, so l thought l'd fill them up while l remembered.

As l was filling them up (both external to fill up) l noticed there was a cockroach on the bottom of the cage, under the wire at the bottom but on top of the newspaper. Then l noticed there was one more, and another, and another. There were a total of 6 cockroaches on the bottom of the cage.

Naturally l freaked, called my boyfriend and he came out and got rid of them (took out the bottom section and threw it on the grass, no chemicals were used)

Now, l don't know if this happens all the time, or only tonight.

The only thing that was in the bottom was seed/husks and poop, which wouldn't be many because l cleaned the cage yesterday.

Is this normal? Is it okay thats its happening? What are the cockroaches attracted to?

Thanks, this is really bugging me - (no pun intended! :budgiedance: )

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

There is something "dirty" around or in the cage that they are drawn too. It have to get rid of them because they can carry disease and can make your birds sick. I don't deal with them much where we live and I am sure others will come and and give you better advice then myself.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

A cockroaches favourite place to be in the seed mess in those trays. You need some sticky paper baits in there and that will catch them ....or the flat cockroach baits where the cockies go into them to eat.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l hope you will are able to get rid of those icky bugs.

l know how you feel......ewww l just **shudder** when l think of them.

• Member ID:  3,618
  • Topic Count:  34

Could l simply move the cage, spray cockroach spray around the area the cage is normally in, then when the fumes are gone, put the cage back?

I ask only because there isn't really enough room to put those things like the bait - won't my birds eat it? I haven' got a very big cage, the base is about the same as any normal "pet shop" cage, but its taller, yes, l know, after l bought it and showed it on here l was told l bought the wrong one ^_^ But anyway, l don't know if l have enough room?

They were all underneath the wire on the bottom, where the birds put their feet, but on top of the newspaper.

It scared me so bad, my poor little things, l wonder how long its been going on.

I have an extreme aversion to using any kind of toxic sprays. You could raise your cage up on blocks or something like that and use baits under.

I have an extreme aversion to using any kind of toxic sprays. You could raise your cage up on blocks or something like that and use baits under.

The cage is on a wheel-around stand, should l put the bait around the ground under and near the stand?

The cage is on a wheel-around stand, should l put the bait around the ground under and near the stand?

That kind of makes them pretty determined cockroaches doesnt it ^_^ is there the usual gap between a cage grate on the bottom and the tray underneath where the baits could go ? Failing this a daily dump of tray contents and disinfect. I like the sticky traps ...they work well for moths and cockies with no toxins. You can get the sticky pantry moth traps...they might work in this case. Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

ewww. yucky... they must be exterminated... at all costs... death to all cockroaches... ^_^ Good luck with that... I hate them too.

That kind of makes them pretty determined cokcroaches doesnt it ^_^ is there the usual gap between a cage grate on the bottom and the tray underneath where the baits could go ? Failing this a daily dump of tray contents and disinfect. I like the sticky traps ...they work well for moths and cockies with no toxins. You can get the sticky pantry moth traps...they might work in this case.

Haha, thats what l thought!

Yes there is a gap, about 2cms l'd say? maybe more.

That kind of makes them pretty determined cokcroaches doesnt it :wub: is there the usual gap between a cage grate on the bottom and the tray underneath where the baits could go ? Failing this a daily dump of tray contents and disinfect. I like the sticky traps ...they work well for moths and cockies with no toxins. You can get the sticky pantry moth traps...they might work in this case.

Put a thick layer of paper on the bottom of the budgies cage then and bait the tray with either cockroach baits or the sticky trap baits.

That kind of makes them pretty determined cokcroaches doesnt it :wub: is there the usual gap between a cage grate on the bottom and the tray underneath where the baits could go ? Failing this a daily dump of tray contents and disinfect. I like the sticky traps ...they work well for moths and cockies with no toxins. You can get the sticky pantry moth traps...they might work in this case.

Put a thick layer of paper on the bottom of the budgies cage then and bait the tray with either cockroach baits or the sticky trap baits.

Won't Sherbet and Fizzy try and eat the bait?

Won't Sherbet and Fizzy try and eat the bait?

Cant you keep them away by the thick layer of paper ?? How are they able to get to the tray underneath ?

One type of bait is just sticky paper. The other kind keep a food bait inside of a plastic disc.

I am sure you will work something out :wub:

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

Kaz ... I did a study on these dirty dang beasty bugs in University. And one of the main thing we were told by professional exterminators was is that roaches are attracted to NEWSPAPER. People often use newspapers to line shelves in pantrys or cupboards or drawers with the paper & then found they were overwhelmed by these industrious bugs.

Cockroaches are also attracted to wallpaper because of the paste or glue on the back. The paste has a flour which is a gluten they eat. They will also crawl into your phone or tv, radio or any electrical appliance & chew the rubber insulation off the wires to live if they cannot find any other food once they are in your home.

They like newspapers because it is where they lay their egg pouch & the pouch stays warm & hidden in the paper. The babys hatch & can live off the paper fiber as it also is a gluten base. GLUTENS are what is starch, starches that are in pasta, breads & rice.

Newspapers are recycled paper made with a flour base & shredded paper fiber.

Each cockroach is built to have both the male & female sexual organs. They can meet up with ANY another cockroach even of the same sex & mate ONCE & only once & both roaches will now have enough sperm & eggs inside them to lay eggs for up to 5 years.

5 YEARS !

Providing nobody finds them running across the kitchen floor & squishes them before they or it hides or gets away. That's 5 years too much time for baby laying egg pouches for me ! HEAT & high warmth are a major contributor to why roaches can be hanging around. This is the temperature they need to multiply & lay egg pouches. Because their pouches of babys can't hatch in the cold. THUS THE NEED FOR NEWSPAPER. Newspaper is a warm insulator.

We have this cockroach chalk here in Ontario. It comes from China. It's also called BABY CHALK because its safe to write lines on the floor or walls where babys will touch.

It's sold in most hardware stores. It's pet friendly. A cat or dog can lick it & it won't affect them. So it should be safe for birds. You can draw lines around areas that the roaches go. If they have to climb up the walls to get into the feed dishes then draw lines around the aviary walls & lower. Anywhere the bug will cross. It will drop the bug to the floor & it dies.

I hope this helps. I HATE THESE DANG BUGGIES. But learning about them was fascinating. But it still won't stop me from killing one if & when I'd see one. Good luck with your problem.

Oh ya ... Boracic or Borasic Acid Powder ... which is an eye wash & sold in Pharmacy's is also used to kill & control cockroaches. I don't know if it's safe around your birds. I would think it be somewhat safe. You use it to wash your eyes !

boxes.jpg

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

WOW... 5 YEARS!!!!! That was very interesting reading there NN. I bought some for my Lizards to eat once and NEVER again... They were just repulsive. They climbed up everything and stunk to 'kingdom come'... :wacko:

Good luck with getting rid of them Missy!

Oh l see, put a layer of thick paper OVER the wire at the bottom, as in on top, and put the bait underneath so its enclosed. Do l keep the tray in or remove the tray?

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

There is something "dirty" around or in the cage that they are drawn too. It have to get rid of them because they can carry disease and can make your birds sick. I don't deal with them much where we live and I am sure others will come and and give you better advice then myself.

Fresh Fruit and Veg can also bring these Make sure that you COMPLETELY remove all traces - If you slip a bit of Fruit or veg between bars these too need to be cleaned ......

I HATE COCKAROACHES WITH A PASSION :( they are the only thing that makes me Quiver and Freak out ... Good Luck

• Member ID:  3,752
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  180
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

I know what you are going through because I also have a phobia for cockroaches. :(

If I see 1 cockroach around there is always a possibility that there is more. I had heard that rosemary and garlic can deter cockroaches. I am not sure exactly how this works. I think it may be an old wives tale. Anyhow, I sometimes place some rosemary in my kitchen cupboards. I'm not sure if this has worked but find that I don't have too many cockies around. I dont know if your cage is indoors or outdoors but maybe you could try having some rosemary or garlic outside the cage or under the tray as it may harm your birds if inside the cage.

I wish you the best of luck in getting rid of these nasties.

Edited by Vickykh

I did a major thorough clean of the cage, l even sprayed the stand with cockroach spray..

I have a question though, l let the stand air-out for about 20-30mins, so there shouldn't be any fumes coming off it, but l got down on my hands and knees and vacuumed up the seed off the concrete ground, and l then sprayed the area where the cage normally goes with cockroach spray.

The concrete is underneath an awning, so l moved the birds outside on the grass more than 5m away.

Just wondering how long l have to wait to let the fumes go away so l can put the birds back?

• Member ID:  3,238
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  83
  • Achievement Points:  520
  • Birthday:  16/06/1963

I did a major thorough clean of the cage, l even sprayed the stand with cockroach spray..

I have a question though, l let the stand air-out for about 20-30mins, so there shouldn't be any fumes coming off it, but l got down on my hands and knees and vacuumed up the seed off the concrete ground, and l then sprayed the area where the cage normally goes with cockroach spray.

The concrete is underneath an awning, so l moved the birds outside on the grass more than 5m away.

Just wondering how long l have to wait to let the fumes go away so l can put the birds back?

Ask the manufacturer they have a 1800 number (free call) most times or a web address, just have a look on the can.... :D