• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

(Laughing out loud), l will let you in on a secret...........since my bed is very close to their cage, :ph34r: l cheat :ph34r: , l prop a body pillow near their cage, and also they have a side door on their cage that is very low, so l open their side door and l put my arm through the opening and rest my arm on the pillow, so l can last quite a long time before getting sore :P

YOU CHEATER ! And here I was all ready to send donuts & start up Fund Raisers for your arm surgery ! ( glad to hear you can hang in there with their training .,. lets hope it works soon for you all ! )

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

If you have a recorder Tape your self saying the phrase you want and play it for 1/2 hour each day ....

BIRDLUV .... That is the BEST IDEA leaving your hand in the cage while you sleep (Laughing out loud)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

glad things are going well birdluv :ph34r:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

(Laughing out loud), l will let you in on a secret...........since my bed is very close to their cage, :budgiedance: l cheat :D , l prop a body pillow near their cage, and also they have a side door on their cage that is very low, so l open their side door and l put my arm through the opening and rest my arm on the pillow, so l can last quite a long time before getting sore :P

YOU CHEATER ! And here I was all ready to send donuts & start up Fund Raisers for your arm surgery ! ( glad to hear you can hang in there with their training .,. lets hope it works soon for you all ! )

:o oh nooo.....my doughnuts :budgiedance: :budgiedance: :D

If you have a recorder Tape your self saying the phrase you want and play it for 1/2 hour each day ....

BIRDLUV .... That is the BEST IDEA leaving your hand in the cage while you sleep (Laughing out loud)

that is a good idea to tape record myself and play it to them. l will have to try that out.

glad things are going well birdluv :D

Thanks Elly.

l have some exciting news to tell you all. Tonight before l put them to bed, l leaned very close to their cage and l started to talk to them. They both looked at me with interest, Claire started to come close to me and Hobbes also started to come close to me too :D

They started to climb all over their cage and where very excited. They made me feel so special, l can tell that the training to tame them is slowly working. l can hardly believe it.

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

Woooohoooo! A break through! Break throughs are so exciting. I have a sun conure I work with and some days he doesnt want to know me and other days he is "in love" with me. Feels like 2 steps forward with him and one step back. I'm sure that wont happen with your babies though :budgiedance: That's great news birdluv :D

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Yah!!!! That's great news. I'm so very pleased for you. It sounds like you are doing a great job and they're thriving on the interaction.

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Birdluv,

that is fantastic... Kazumi does that (comes as close as he can) when he is listening to me talk to him. He cocks his head to one side and listens really closely.

Congrats on the breakthrough.

Feathers.

That is so awesome birdluv in a few more days they will be running up to the cage to see you :D, what a wonderful journal to read daily here it brings such positiveness to budgie taming.

*** 2 Weeks already :wacko: ***

Wow, l can hardly believe that l have been at it for two weeks, it only feels like yesterday.

It is going very well.

First l will begin with Claire. She has begun to be very brave, she at first would sit on the millet seed while l held it but yesterday she put a foot on my thumb. However today, l shortened the length of millet seed that l gave them and she had no choice but to perch on my finger and she did. She sat their very calm and she looked comfortable :D

Hobbes is a little bit more shy. If Claire comes to the millet he will follow close behind her but is still a little skittish of my hand. So he will hang on to the sides of the cage and try to reach the millet. Yesterday he tried so hard to get to the seeds that he climbed onto Claire's back, he fell off. He then used his foot to cling on to Claire's tail feathers and pull her and the millet close to him. After that didn't work he kept on coming really close to my wrist and started to nibble on my palm of my hand. Eventually he decided to come onto my hand and started to eat the seeds :D He only stayed for a few minutes but that is a good sign.

Also they are becoming to get to know my voice, since l have been talking to them way more frequently then before. They like to watch me when l talk to them.

They have also become way more calm, when l put my hand in the cage. Today when l started their training session , they didn't hesitate to come to me in fact it looked like they where running to my hand :)

l will be not be training them for one day this weekend since l will be too busy to do it but l do not think that will make a big change to their tameness.

Starting this Sunday, l want to start to tame them individually, since l have seen a remarkable change in them and l think it will help to bond with them even more.

sorry that l didn't take any pictures this time, l will make sure l will take some at their next session. :D

everything is going wonderfully :D it sounds you are doing a wonderful job

Keep it up... great stuff! It's also helpful when you have willing participants :D

Keep it up... great stuff! It's also helpful when you have willing participants :D

yes is is very helpful to have willing participants :yellowhead:

l believe why l'm having a fast response to their training is because l started to train them when l first got them but l stopped for almost 2 years. they seem to have remembered their earlier training and also they have constantly been by my side for two years even though l wasn't trying to tame them during that time :)

Individual Training Session Day 20.

I first took Claire to the bathroom. She at first clung on to the side of the traveller's cage and flew off into the tub. I offered my finger to her and she took it. She sat on my finger the rest of the time. l even got her to do a few step ups. I offered her some millet seeds for being such a good little girl. I spent a half hour with her.

Here are a few pictures that l managed to take before my batteries died.

DSCF0255400x300.jpg

DSCF0254400x300.jpg

I then took Hobbes to the bathroom. He was a bit more hesitant to go on my finger but he eventually did. I spent a little bit more time with him just talking softly to him, he seemed to have calmed down and got comfortable. He was starting to close his eyes.

After awhile l started to teach him how to step up, he would only do a few and then l stopped because l did not want to force him to do it. I also gave him some millet for being such a good little boy.

Now for the pictures.

DSCF0258400x300.jpg

DSCF0257400x300.jpg

while l had him on my finger, l put him very close to my face so l could check his beak out because it looked strange to me. l do not think that it is mites, it didn't look like it but it looked flaky. do you think that it is dry skin?

l will probably set up an avian vet visit for him.

DSCF0260400x300.jpg

Edited by birdluv

Oh so excited for you (claps)

Thanks Elly :unsure:

here are some video of yesterdays training. l couldn't post them before because youtube was fixing their website so here they are now.

Claire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMCE8GFjmAo

Hobbes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inS7evAYIkU

today hobbes actually did dothe step up command. l'm so proud of both them :budgiedance:

P.S. sorry about the quality of the video's, l had to balance the camera on my knee so it is a little blurry. next time l'll try to use my tripod.

• 2 weeks later...

Today has now been 1 whole month.

I can hardly believe it, time sure flies bye.

I have seen a remarkable change in both of their behaviour, they are both more calmer and not timid anymore. I'm still training them one by one but in a slightly bigger room then the bathroom. They both will sit on my finger and l do not have to coax them with any millet seed( l now only give it to them sparingly).

Today, Claire sat on my chest while eating a little bit of millet, she also will do the step up command but l will continue to teach her that for awhile, l find she will sometimes forget :D I have a picture of her sitting nicely on my finger.

DSCF0306400x300.jpg

Hobbes has come along ways too. He will sit on my finger, he is still learning the step up command but he is starting to get the idea of it. I have made alot of progress with Hobbes, infact today he not only sat on my finger but he crawled up to my knukles and perched their, l was talking to him and he was falling asleep ;) l wish that l got a picture of that.

l have a picture of Hobbes too,

DSCF0312400x300.jpg

DSCF0309400x300.jpg

I have made a video of them today too, it is not the best quality since l was in a dark room with very little light, but l hope that you will enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTS1CkUlFw

Edited by birdluv

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  602
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

Nice work Birdluv ... you've done really well. I wish you'd gotten that picture of Hobbs falling asleep while you talked to him too, it would have been really sweet. I am impressed at how pretty your little Claire is. I like her colors & look, she still has that baby look to her.

Thanks Nicknack :)

l wish that l got a picture too, hopefully the next time he does that l will be lucky and get a few.

yes, Claire is a baby girl in my eye too but ssssshhhh l do not want little miss queen hear me say that :angry:

isn't it amazing with time and patience what can happen, you enjoyed them before I am sure but now it is even more rewarding to have them because you feel part of their flock and they are interacting with you...great experience here for all to read.

• 2 weeks later...

isn't it amazing with time and patience what can happen, you enjoyed them before I am sure but now it is even more rewarding to have them because you feel part of their flock and they are interacting with you...great experience here for all to read.

Yes, Elly it is so true, l really l'm starting to feel like l'm part of their pack. It is such a wonderful feeling.

***Update***

Both of my budgies are starting to be alot tamer then when l first started. Infact today l didn't even have to use any millet seeds or a wooden dowel perch :D

I'm so happy and excited to see them actually enjoying my company. I'm still taming them separately in another bedroom.

I think that soon l will start to continue to tame them but have them both together, and in the same room as the cage. I will see how it goes and l will keep this updated too :)

Sorry that l did not get any pictures this time but l will try to snap a few in the next few days :D

oh yeah, l almost forgot to tell you all, my budgie Claire use to bite me so hard leaving me with bloody chunks in my hand. when she would bite me l would bite my tongue and not react to her. well now she does still bite me alittle bit but it feels only like a nip and not hard at all. she only seems to bit when she is ticked off or when she is molting.

Hobbes seems to be more of a gentlemen, he hardly will ever bite me and when he does it is just a little nip, like he is tasting me. It doesn't hurt at all :)

Edited by birdluv
added more information to original post

Awsome news!!! It's so exciting. Good stuff by all three of you! YAH...

I am so excited for you this is such wonderful news and I do hope others even if they are not posting are following this wonderful journey.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3,993
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,745
  • Birthday:  27/11/1986

Hi Birdluv

I have been following your journal and it is very exciting, you are doing so well so fast! I was just wondering though, when you take them individually into bedroom/bathroom, what do you do with them? I am still trying to train my male budgie that has just started his first moult, I have had him for 3 ½ months and we are not progressing that much.

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Tam

Hi Birdluv

I have been following your journal and it is very exciting, you are doing so well so fast! I was just wondering though, when you take them individually into bedroom/bathroom, what do you do with them? I am still trying to train my male budgie that has just started his first moult, I have had him for 3 ½ months and we are not progressing that much.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you Tam :hap:

when l take them into the bedroom or bathroom, l usually will let them get on my finger and l constantly talk to them, whistle to them and l know this may sound silly but l have started to sing to them too. they do look at me like l'm crazy :blink:

have you been using millet to reward him?

unfortunately with some budgies, they might take a while to be tamed, another member had the same problems as you are having with her budgie too, the member is Elly, she wrote an article in the FAQ section on taming if you would like to read it http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/i...;highlight=tame

also, since you mentioned that your budgie is molting, he is probably grumpy at the moment but that will soon pass. my budgie Claire is also very grumpy and likes to bite me at the moment because she is starting a molt.

please keep us updated on your progress with your budgie, l would love to follow your journey with taming your budgie too.

• Member ID:  3,993
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,745
  • Birthday:  27/11/1986

Hi Birdluv

Any help appreciated!

Thank you Tam :)

when l take them into the bedroom or bathroom, l usually will let them get on my finger and l constantly talk to them, whistle to them and l know this may sound silly but l have started to sing to them too. they do look at me like l'm crazy :P

have you been using millet to reward him?

unfortunately with some budgies, they might take a while to be tamed, another member had the same problems as you are having with her budgie too, the member is Elly, she wrote an article in the FAQ section on taming if you would like to read it http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/i...;highlight=tame

also, since you mentioned that your budgie is molting, he is probably grumpy at the moment but that will soon pass. my budgie Claire is also very grumpy and likes to bite me at the moment because she is starting a molt.

please keep us updated on your progress with your budgie, l would love to follow your journey with taming your budgie too.

Thank you for that. I have been following the FAQ section article, but I guess I am afraid of Coco becoming older and harder to train before he has made much progress. I don't know whether this was just a silly thought :nest: Everybody on the forum has been very helpful though. I often seem to read about people who make really quick progress, and i don't seem to be getting anywhere :P And yes, i do use millet to reward him, but he doesn't seem to want it enough to jump on my finger for it. He is such a stubborn little birdy :P

How is your training going?

Hey Tam... all birds are different, like us humans I guess! Some are quiet and shy, some are loud and proud. Age does play a part, but some birds are just harder and more work to train than others. You'll need to keep at it, do it often (daily at the minimum). Keep positive, celebrate the small steps and remember to work at a pase he is comfortable at :nest: