• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  225
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/01/1968

I thought I would let my indoor boys see what life is like outside. I wheeled the whole cage out - figured it was also an easier way to clean out all the old branches and tray etc without making such a mess inside. Anyway, the boys seem to be quite enjoying the fresh air and sunshine and listening to all the other wild birds around. (hope they don't get jealous and not like being indoor budgies anymore) I was just wondering whether it would be okay to take the cage off the stand and sit it on the grass? Would they eat the grass, is it good or harmful to them - you can hardly see Charlie in the photo, he blends in quite well with the gum tree branch...he is sitting on the bottom right side water container .. http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg219/b...es/IMG_3879.jpg

Deb

Edited by maesie
slightly over the 450x450 size for pictures, turned to link (Elly), Fixed link (Maesie)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

You can let them eat the grass as long as you have not treated the grass with chemicals of any kind.

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

I wouldn't put the birds on the grass here in Canada ... grass here is where our lovely

annoying flea's live. Cat's dogs & other lovely little crits can catch fleas from our lawns. Once on the animals body the fleas can jump up to 15 meters.

So imagine kitty on your sofa & you on your recliner & feeling a bite & itchy all of a sudden. Also in & on your bedding & in your carpets etc.....

Once the fleas have invaded your home. You have some serious spraying & pest control to deal with. I don't know what your grass's have in Oz ... but better to check before you allow the bubs some splender in the grass !

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

When i was younger (and dumber hehehehe) i used to let my tame budgies loose in the back yard to munch on the grass... they LOVED it!!!

I am older and wiser now and wouldn't let them loose any more, but like Kaz said, if your lawn is chemical free... pop your cage on the grass and they will love it ;)

You will need to worm your birds regularly though...

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I thought I would let my indoor boys see what life is like outside. I wheeled the whole cage out - figured it was also an easier way to clean out all the old branches and tray etc without making such a mess inside. Anyway, the boys seem to be quite enjoying the fresh air and sunshine and listening to all the other wild birds around. (hope they don't get jealous and not like being indoor budgies anymore) I was just wondering whether it would be okay to take the cage off the stand and sit it on the grass? Would they eat the grass, is it good or harmful to them - you can hardly see Charlie in the photo, he blends in quite well with the gum tree branch...he is sitting on the bottom right side water container ..

Deb

Yep... go for it. They'll love it I'm sure. My birds love the grass when I put it in the avairy. Above (in red) you mention you cleaned the cage outside. Was this just removing the tray etc... be carefull about opening the cage door to remove things. Even if your budgies never try to get out when you open the door inside... they may when you're outside. I'd hate for them to fly away on you!

Just keep yer budgies away from my house & my grass ... my lawn has cakes & cookies & donuts & all sorts of yummies growing there that will make them TOO FAT TO FLY !

:parrot: <---- see this bird ? too fat to fly ... can only wiggle & woggle too & fro.

You can see by his face he was eating my raspberry cream donuts.

• Member ID:  4,089

Just keep yer budgies away from my house & my grass ... my lawn has cakes & cookies & donuts & all sorts of yummies growing there that will make them TOO FAT TO FLY !

:parrot: <---- see this bird ? too fat to fly ... can only wiggle & woggle too & fro.

You can see by his face he was eating my raspberry cream donuts.

Hi NickNack - Sounds like you live in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory. Do you have a chocolate river too???

Maesie - yes, I had just meant the tray and I pull the smaller leaves out through the wire. Will take birds inside later and give cage a proper clean down.

Maesie - yes, I had just meant the tray and I pull the smaller leaves out through the wire. Will take birds inside later and give cage a proper clean down.

Cool! It may take them a little while to get used to their feet on the ground... but when they do, I'm sure they love it! ;)

.......and the usual rules too....watch all the time they are outside for predators and dogs etc.

My sister hung her budgie cage outside thinking she was doing them a favour. Didnt watch ( she doesnt listen to me either ) and came home to birds killed through the bars of their cage by a predator bird.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I agree with NickNack on the grass thing I think about bugs, fleas, mites and whatever they may pick at so I personally wouldn't do it. You have the same exact cage as I do that is what I do to clean it I just wheel it outside on a nice day and hose it off good first. Outside always supervise and you may want to put a lock or a tie around the cage in case anyone opens the door on accidently or it isn't closed well enough. Anything can happen. Make sure you don't put them in direct sunlight just indirect. :P

I dont know ....you guys in the states and Canada and places must live in fear of even walking on your lawns for fears of mites and fleas and boogeymen :P

Fleas here live in sand ( sandfleas ) and only during one season. To be honest, anything else tends to stick to its own favourite critters. Dog and cat fleas to their critters and so on. Budgies actually like to eat insects...its protein, so if they can eat the odd lawn beetle...well and good for them. Worming works for birds on soil and grass floors, that arent their whole life an indoors birds.

I say let me feel the grass beneath their tootsies, watch them so they are safe, and let them eat the grass. You could always hose that section of grass down first.

hehe....I think I view a dog and my feet much stronger then a budgie (maybe because I don't have an aviary and the way Pretty suddenly died) but personally I do wear shoes you just never know when you are going to step in something nasty :(Laughing out loud): especially with 2 dogs :D.

hehe....I think I view a dog and my feet much stronger then a budgie (maybe because I don't have an aviary and the way Pretty suddenly died) but personally I do wear shoes you just never know when you are going to step in something nasty :lol: especially with 2 dogs :P.

:D :D :D I know exactly what you mean ....you dont want to walk down to the aviary at night without shoes on in case the dogs have been up to mischief :hap:

Elly, I know what you mean about the flea's thing. If they only lived in sand like Kaz said, then I wouldn't worry & would let my birds feel green grass between their little toes. Heck I'd get a gaggle of budgies & let them chew the lawn down & be my mower.

But here in Canada ... GRASS is the enemy. Fleas LIVE & Love in the grass & weeds here.

Cats & dogs all get it from the lawns & parks & just the weeds on the sidewalks here. It's just common in Canada & maybe the States too.

Once you have fleas in your home ... it's a nightmare to get rid of them. Expensive & smelly chemicals are used & a this can leave fumes that might harm your birds.

Then there is the continuous vacuuming & more spraying & cleaning & doing your laundry over & over & over & over & over & over & over again to try & combat these little bugs. The fleas don't care about living on your pet once in the house ... they like human blood just as much.

YOU can treat your cat & dog instantly by placing a single drop on their neck, of a liquid Prescription purchased at any Vets office. But once them little bitting master jumping bugs are in your house ? WHOLE Different story .... And there is no chemical single prescription drop to place on a humans neck to make them fleas go away ! Take my advice. I went thru it 2 years ago & was not a happy camper.

Sand fleas would be a breeze compared to the durable Canadian FLEA !

But ... if you feel safe ... take yer babys out & let them check out the lawn. Or Steal some Astroturf of the Football Field ... place it in the bottom of the birds cage & then let them enjoy the grass that way !

I agree with you completely NickNack that is the way it is here. Fleas are a nightmare and hard to get rid of. I treat my 2 dogs with the monthly topical ointment, my cats are inside so there is no worries. Just paraniod I have been there with fleas before with all my animals, knock on wood we have been flea free for over 10 years and that is wonderful. The most amazing thing is it is not when it is 100F outside in the middle of summer when you get them as much flea season here is September & October :D:.

I have had fleas in my house once or twice and they are a pain in the backside. Not in recent years, but a long time ago. I think thery arrived when the cat had an issue with fleas and they lived in the carpet for awhile.

I find because I have an outside avairy, I don't worry about that sort of stuff. I'm also an 'outside' girl... I prefer not to wear shoes (unless I'm in the avairy), the bottom of my feet have that hard crusty feel from a summer in bare feet, they're often dirty and need regular scrubbing. That's just me... all my pets are pretty tough. They've just grown to be that way. Like kids I guess. If you wrap them up in cotton wool, they'll end up getting sicker than the ones who aren't. But... that's just me. Things are obviously different over were you guys are... and I can't say I understand because I've never lived over there... but each to there own. Our lives are very different... :)

:blink: I lovesssssssssssssssssss barefootieness. I hate to wear shoes ... I always laugh here in Toronto as you go into any Mall or major Grocery store ... PLASTERED on the Doors of the Entry ways says .... " NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO ROLLER BLADES. NO BIKES, THIS MEANS YOU ... NO SERVICE '' !

It's even against the law here to drive your car without wearing SHOES of some kind. Strange eh ? I love summer ... sandals & flip flops. But when I'm around my house. My toes are bare & wigglin ... ! It's the only way to be.

You are right Maesie ... different worlds ... & we all live in it. I think its great the differences.

:blink: I lovesssssssssssssssssss barefootieness. I hate to wear shoes ... I always laugh here in Toronto as you go into any Mall or major Grocery store ... PLASTERED on the Doors of the Entry ways says .... " NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO ROLLER BLADES. NO BIKES, THIS MEANS YOU ... NO SERVICE '' !

It's even against the law here to drive your car without wearing SHOES of some kind. Strange eh ? I love summer ... sandals & flip flops. But when I'm around my house. My toes are bare & wigglin ... ! It's the only way to be.

You are right Maesie ... different worlds ... & we all live in it. I think its great the differences.

barefeet.jpg

Yep agree Nick Nack... maybe we are long lost twins... longing for the world where shoes don't exist!!! (Laughing out loud)... I also love the differences in our worlds. In the few months I've been here, I've learnt sooooo much. It's awsome... Sorry for all this :D talk... I get distracted very easy!!!

I find because I have an outside avairy, I don't worry about that sort of stuff. I'm also an 'outside' girl... I prefer not to wear shoes (unless I'm in the avairy), the bottom of my feet have that hard crusty feel from a summer in bare feet, they're often dirty and need regular scrubbing. That's just me... all my pets are pretty tough. They've just grown to be that way. Like kids I guess. If you wrap them up in cotton wool, they'll end up getting sicker than the ones who aren't. But... that's just me. Things are obviously different over were you guys are... and I can't say I understand because I've never lived over there... but each to there own. Our lives are very different... :)

Maesie....were you and I twins in another life ??? :rip:

Yep agree Nick Nack... maybe we are long lost twins...
Maesie says.

Maesie....were you and I twins in another life ??? :blink:
Kaz says.

Ah ... wouldn't this make us triplets ? SEES NO EVIL ... HEAR NO EVIL ... JUST PLAIN EVIL ... !

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

(Laughing out loud) :blink:

I find because I have an outside avairy, I don't worry about that sort of stuff. I'm also an 'outside' girl... I prefer not to wear shoes (unless I'm in the avairy), the bottom of my feet have that hard crusty feel from a summer in bare feet, they're often dirty and need regular scrubbing. That's just me... all my pets are pretty tough. They've just grown to be that way. Like kids I guess. If you wrap them up in cotton wool, they'll end up getting sicker than the ones who aren't. But... that's just me. Things are obviously different over were you guys are... and I can't say I understand because I've never lived over there... but each to there own. Our lives are very different... ;)

Maesie....were you and I twins in another life ??? :hap:

I'm starting to think there is a very high possibility of this!!! :D

Yep agree Nick Nack... maybe we are long lost twins...
Maesie says.

Maesie....were you and I twins in another life ??? :hap:
Kaz says.

Ah ... wouldn't this make us triplets ? SEES NO EVIL ... HEAR NO EVIL ... JUST PLAIN EVIL ... !

:hap: I'll be see no evil , Kaz can be hear no evil, and you Nick Nack... are definately Just plain evil!!!

:) I'll be see no evil , Kaz can be hear no evil, and you Nick Nack... are definately Just plain evil!!!

8db9daa1.jpg

• Member ID:  4,089

Maybe I am the long lost quad everyone forgot about....

I admit I treat myself once every 4 to 6 weeks and go to one of those little foot spa places to get my feet de-scaled. (would be the worst place on earth to work). **** I know, off topic....

Anyway - back to the topic.... thanks for the opinions - I did give my boys a nice little filtered sunny spot under a gum tree. They didn't actually get off the perch to touch the grass. Will try to make it a regular thing for them so they get used to it. One day, I might end up with more budgies and decide to put them outside for good. I figure best they experience both worlds.

re fleas.. we have a dog & cat too, and fleas aren't a problem. Keep up the spot on stuff. We also have tiles inside, so makes for easy cleaning and no soft cosy flea breeding environment.

Deb