• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  303
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,270
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  25/09/1993

ive had Bing for 6 days now and today i decided to give out of cage time another try, but now he/she doesnt even want to come out of his/her cage, ive bribed him out with millet and i make it out but then after being out for like 15 seconds he just flys straight back into its cage, i dont want to have to resort to grabbing him to get him out, will he ever just want to come out and explore the outside room?

also i never realised how much the budgie eats but he is always chomping down food like a good handful of seed every day is this normal?

Edited by Andrew

• Member ID:  3,695
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  415
  • Achievement Points:  3,125
  • Birthday:  27/03/1994

I had the same problem with my bird, Baby. Good Luck :wub:.

• Member ID:  3,906

would you care to elaborate on how you fixed itt little one?

• Member ID:  3,695
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  415
  • Achievement Points:  3,125
  • Birthday:  27/03/1994

I didn't sadly, my bird Baby was sooo terribly stubborn, I wish I had a solution :P.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Give her time... she will come out eventually. I'd be waiting for it and/or offering treats (as you did) rather than yanking her out into the wild scary world. She will decide to check things out in her own time, she just needs more :P

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

That is their safe haven and what you can do once you bird feels trusting of your hand when in the cage is to take the cage in a small room such a bathroom (with the toliet seat down) and have the bird step up on your fingers and bring him out. If you have not yet mastered the step-up command then really your bird shouldn't be out flying without some type of control.

In the FAQ I have a training article on how I trained Pretty (who was a pet store budgie) and he was a challenage to train. I don't remember if his wings are clipped but if they are not it would be good to do this first. Only a suggestion since wing clipping is debatable but when you are talking about clipping for safety and the wings come back in with 6 months I don't see it as something to make a deal about (that is me though)

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Well said, i beleive elly has given some excellent advice, wing clipping seems to be needed (for safety aswell as training purposes) when he realises he has no where else to perch but your finger he'll quickly get used to you and realise you're not so bad... It may require you to remove the bird from the cage (physically) but he shouldn't be too stressed by this if he's planned to be a tame bird anyway or else you'll have some worries ahead... He'll calm down after a minute or two and then you can request him to step up and repeat the process over and over again with both hands.... He'll jump off several times but just ask him to step up again by pressing your finger lightly onto his belly and he'll realise what's going on and stop doing that eventually (make sure you're not doing this too high from the ground)... good luck :P i know you really want this bird tame

I agree there with Libby even if you have him finger tamed he may jump off when you get to the front of the cage that is okay and you may have to do it by force I had to do it with Merlin at times. Once they realize that it is fun and safe in and out of the cage you will have a budgie that may even start to come out on his own. I have read articles about training your budgie ONLY to come out on your finger vs letting him just come out.

Pretty did what he pleased he was a true stink pot but Merlin let me train him that way so I can take him in and out with no issues. Pretty would do as he please and when he got flighted there were times I had issues. In the beginning, withPretty it was SO bad in the beginning that I used to have to cover his cage with a towel because he would hang on it and funny as it sounds once he realized he could fly and have fun he then turned around and wasn't worry about his cage.

Another thing is once he is out close the door on the cage because even now if I don't Merlin will just go back in. When it is closed he stays by me or on the top of his cage or he explores my room when I am there with him. Merlin is flighted and I love that aspect of being tamed and flighted. Then you know they really want to be with you and that can take months but the feeling the first time is awesome.

• Member ID:  3,906

well today i did a few step ups in the cage to get him used to me for abit and then borught him out while he was nibbling on seed, he comes out and flys around and always lands on these photos up on a ledge in the corner of the room and chirps there? i dont understand why he does it? if he chirps like every 2 seconds like cheep.......cheep......cheeep........ is that good or is that an alarm? but i brought him down and put him on my shoulder but he is still quiet skittish and scared so yeh but he wasnt as hard to get out as yesterday and he didnt fly around as much as well :)

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

well today i did a few step ups in the cage to get him used to me for abit and then borught him out while he was nibbling on seed, he comes out and flys around and always lands on these photos up on a ledge in the corner of the room and chirps there? i dont understand why he does it? if he chirps like every 2 seconds like cheep.......cheep......cheeep........ is that good or is that an alarm? but i brought him down and put him on my shoulder but he is still quiet skittish and scared so yeh but he wasnt as hard to get out as yesterday and he didnt fly around as much as well :)

Relax matie :(Laughing out loud): Considering you have only had Bing for a week, you are both doing great! Possibly moving faster than many others. Just remember to work at his pase. His chirping is good, and he will eventually fly around more and check things out. All good progress so far. Enjoy the journey :)

The cheeping is probably the short call sound when they are calling for another budgie or for you as he bond with you more. Since he is flighted be careful with windows make sure you have the drapes, blinds closed because the do fly into windows until they realize they can't get out that way but you also don't want them to break their neck.

Everything sounds good if you do this everyday you will find the bonding to be quicker and he will get used to his surrounds with a week :).