Sign in to follow this  
Tam

Talking Budgie?

Taming advice is a bit like parenting advice ^_^ . Every one is different and different methods work better for different birds :D . If you feel the tonnel method is not working, give Elly's method a try and see if your little bub prefers it better. ^_^

does your budgie actually chirp and make noises and move around in its cage while you are there? mine has been here for two days now and all it does is sit there looking at you ive only heard it click its tounge twice and i can feed it millet... but today i managed to get him on my finger a few times and he didnt seemed stressed at all... in fact he didnt even try to get away i was very happy!

so i hope you enjoy your budgie as much as i am enjoying mine except for the fact that it doesnt move or talk or anything (Laughing out loud) ^_^

Hey Andrew, Coco does move around, he still watches me lots though - always keeping an eye on my next move. If I am sitting infront of his cage, he will even come down to eat with me watching now. He does do a lot of sitting though, and will then have a burst of energy and try to play with one of his toys and run around for a bit.

Coco seems to only chirp when I am ignoring him. If I am talking with my boyfriend he will keep chirping until somebody pays him some attention or if I am cooking dinner or something. It took a couple of days before he started making a noise though. It is not a real pretty chrip though like some budgies I hear, it is not an angry sounding chrip either(like he made when they put him in a box at the pet store) but kind of loud, look at me (well that's how I interpret it though)! I don't know if that is normal or not.

Until then.....he just started chriping and I went out to see him, and he stoped and started again while I was there talking to him. Never happened before though.

As for your birdy taking millett from you I am so jelous, I have tried that so many times and he just stares at me and the millett....until I get a dead arm from having it stuck in the cage and give up. ^_^ I have had it in his food bowl and he eats around it, and peged up in his cage but he is not interested. And having it on your finger, I am so impressed, was he in the cage when it jumped on your finger?

That angary sound he/she is making is a very "Hen" thing to do. Boys have the pretty voices and will even sing to them selves if there is no one there to listen.

Dont be upset ^_^ . He/She will come around. persistence and patience. Dont give up, It will get better ^_^

Edited by **Liv**

yes well i think i kinda overfed it some millet ^_^ hehe and i was slowly moving the millet further away and putting my hand at its feet and then after about 2 minutes of holding my finger there my arm was getting dead so i pushed on his/her belly and he/she hopeed on for about 4 seconds then i put him/her back down and gave him/her some more millet and then left it for about 5 minutes and tried again and this time he/she would hop off! i dont no whether it was scared or not but i was slowly moving my finger around the cage with it on my finger and then left my finger next to the perch and he/she didnt get off!

the strange thing is though that i have never seen it move its feet when im there or just watching it, when i offer it some millet it moves away abit until it realises that im giving it millet and it eats form me but it is very cautious... it will look at me then at the millet then hesitate to take another bite then quickly lunges for it and chomps away for a bit and does it again... but i hang it on the cage bars next to the perch and it doesnt eat it? its soo wierd...

ive never heard it chirp except for clicking its tounge twice... and it moves its beak around likes its trying to chirp but nothing comes out...

its poos are getting solid so i think it is becoming less stressed but is still scared to do aynthing when i am around and also when im not around... i put it too sleep last night (put a blanket over its cage... not killed it (Laughing out loud) ^_^) and when i uncovered it again today it was in the same spot hadn't moved an inch!

its just very wierd.. Elly did Pretty move around?? at all?

PS. I have not taken it out of it's cage yet

Edited by Andrew

Hi Tam (and Andrew), All of the behaviours you describe are NORMAL!!! Your little ones are just getting used to you. Every budgie is different, some can adjust to you like butter to toast, others can take weeks or months! Patience and persistance is the key! Whatever your training plan is, do it every day!!!! When you're not doing it, talk to them until you go blue in the face ^_^ . This doesn't have to be just trying to teach them to talk, it could be about your day etc... Spend as much time with them as possible and they WILL get used to you. I know it must be hard at time, but both of your little ones will get there, and when they do, all that time and effect will be worth it ^_^

Edited by maesie

(Laughing out loud) okay thanks for the reassurance maesie i just find it so awkward that it doesnt chirp away like they are made to do, i thought it would chirp like crazy because its so scared!

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Oh no, so my little Coco could be a hen! What a confusing little birdy, he is doing boy and girl things.

I will just have to be patient with everything ^_^

hehe and mine could be anything cause it doesnt do ANYTHING!!! (Laughing out loud) ^_^

Edited by Andrew

hehe and mine could be anything cause it doesnt do ANYTHING!!! (Laughing out loud) ^_^

Hahaha ^_^

AMAZING I ACTUALLY SAW IT MOVE 2 CENTIMETRES i am very happy i think he starting to adjust to his new home ^_^ i fed him/her some millet and put it on the cage wall and it started moving closer to the millet and stoppedamazing update! my brother just informed me that my budgie was chirping!!! like every 2-3 seconds it was letting out a cheep.... cheep. is that a good chirp or a bad chirp? either way im very happy! ^_^

Edited by Andrew

AMAZING I ACTUALLY SAW IT MOVE 2 CENTIMETRES i am very happy i think he starting to adjust to his new home ^_^ i fed him/her some millet and put it on the cage wall and it started moving closer to the millet and stoppedamazing update! my brother just informed me that my budgie was chirping!!! like every 2-3 seconds it was letting out a cheep.... cheep. is that a good chirp or a bad chirp? either way im very happy! ^_^

Sounds like a good cheep :D

That is so exciting :D

hows Coco coming along Tam?

Pretty was a boy and didn't move for months or make a sound so saying it is a hen is not always accurate.

A cheep is a good sign :wub:.