• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  180
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Last weekend we were out browsing at a local shopping centre. As always we wandered into the pet store (well known chain store), only to overhear two staff convincing a lady to buy a budgie rather than a couple of zebs. I stopped nearby to eavesdrop, and I am completely disgusted a what ensued.

The lady was quite elderly, and was looking for a companion bird. They advised that zebs were too independent and she should get a budgie (fair enough comment) The lady then told them she was scared of getting bitten, and therefore woud go home and consider it further with the help of her family. These two sales women we very pushy, and proceeded to tell the poor lady that the pretty blue budgie she'd liked probably would be sold that day, and they don't hold birds for people... that blue budgies were rare and usually much dearer than this ones $40 price tag, that it was just a baby and babies don't bite, and if she handled it every day for 10 minutes it would never bite. They emphasized not to handle it for more than 10 minutes a day.

The budgie in question was definitely a female, with a dark brown cere and a big white cap on her head. The lady was bullied into taking it and they caught it with a huge glove on as it ground its beak into the material they dropped it into the box, then shook it roughly to get it to let go.

At the counter they told the lady she'd need a cage, and promptly picked up a large black one with a hefty price tag. The lady told them she had cage at home that wasn't quite as big, and they told her that it wasn't suitable (they didn't ask exactly how much smaller her cage was, but the one on the counter was sufficient to house a couple of cockatiels.) One lady then went around the store adding various other accessories, toys, seed, medications, a book... none of which were requested, and then announced the total.

It came to $270... for one old budgie and a heap of junk. The shock on this poor womans face as she handed her card over. Horrified, I stepped in, tapping the woman on the shoulder and asking for a word. The woman on the other side of the counter glared at me as she waited for the lady to proceed through eftpos, but thankfully the lady stepped away to see what I wanted.

I told her she was being taken for a ride, she could get everything for less than $50, and that I had some babies at home that were tame that she could have for free if she walked away, I also told her that the bird she was buying was an adult and would not get tame. She agreed, I went back to a barrage of abuse as I collected the ladies card and cancelled the sale (the lady was too scared to say anything) then I was banned from the store as I walked out... ummm GOOD!!!

The ladies name is Heather, we sat down for a coffee and was shocked when she told us that the money she was about to spend was her grocery money, but she was too intimidated to say no. She hadn't even gone in to buy a bird, just look. She will be the proud new owner to a little bub that came out of the nest yesterday, once weaned. (see the budgie pictures thread, she's chosen the bright blue one) The cage she already owns is more than sufficiant and we've set up a pack for her including wormer, seed, millet, cuttlebone and toys so her new addition is well looked after.

Not only have we made a lovely new friend, we've saved a poor old lady from being taken for a ride by these unscrupulous pet stores. I tried to call to speak to the manager of this store but was told he was not in... not sure if he'd do anything anyway :wub:

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

All I can say is GOOD FOR YOU!!! :D

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Well done! It's nice to see people helping out one another! The poor old lady :D and what horrible store workers!!! Glad everything worked out for the lady well :D and your baby has a good home :D

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good job....That poor lady was being bulldozed !! I am so glad you had the courage and b***s to do what you did. Big congrats to you and great save for the little old lady.

Cheers kaz :D

• Member ID:  3,867
  • Topic Count:  198
  • Content Count:  1,737
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  11,910
  • Birthday:  25/09/1970

that is really great what you did for the old lady, there are some really pushy salespeople out there.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

What a lovely story. Brings a tear to my eye. You saved that lovely lady from a making a horrible mistake! Well Done! :D

:D OMG, I know salespeople can be PUSHY but I didn't think THAT pushy!!! Good on you for helping out the old dear, I am sure she appreciates it very much!!! :angel1:

• Member ID:  2,626
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,460

Well done!!!!

Your halo will be shining brightly! :angel1:

• Member ID:  3,981
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  24
  • Achievement Points:  200

thankgod the poor older woman happened to have an angel like you there to help her. It is disgraceful and so unaustralian the way people try to sell things today.

• Member ID:  3,562

I just thought it was pathetic that these two women ganged up on this lady. I wonder how many sales they make working this way. I called the manager again, no luck... so I called the head office to make a formal complaint about the pushy sales tactics used, the misinformation provided, and the deceit. Nobody who had half a clue would suggest that the bird offered was a baby.

I have a couple of young girls I was trying to sell for $10, the boys went fast but nobody is really interested in girls as pets... never in a million years would I lie about what they are to make a sale. They are getting a little too old to make good pets now anyway so we might need to get a hold of a new aviary to house them in.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Oh... I have a lump in my throat!!! You are a ledgend!!! You have a golden heart! And Heather is one lucky lady to have you as a friend and one of your babies!!! Good on you for having the nerve to stick up for the poor old lass, and I'd be proud to be banned from that horriable excuse for a pet shop!!! :parrot: Thums up to you, and a welcome hug to heather!!! maesie xxx ooo xxx

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

I have been on the recieving end of this. When I was looking for another girl I was in a pet store and looking at their babies they had one female who was older almost the same size as my Harley and tried to tell me that she was only a few months old. Next thing I know they lady is asking me if it will be cash or charge, somewhere along the line I got bullied and railroaded and I was about to buy a bird that I did not want or need. Lucky I sort of pulled myslef out of my trance like state and left. But it was strange. I know how Heather feels at the time you are sitting there thinking why am I doing this but you are to scared to say no it's really strange.

Heather is lucky that you where there.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

that was so nice of you to help her out.

• Member ID:  3,776
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  556
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  4,660
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

Good on you! Two big thumbs up, that must have taken alot of courage to do, I am glad that Heather will find a new friend in one of your little bubs :) .

Guest lonebudgie

There is so many negatives in this world and so many bad people , thats all you seem to hear about . I want to say thankyou for all that you did and also for reminding me that there are Still some nice people around , maybe our world does have a chance with people like yourself willing to help others .

Thanks again :)

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

That is an awesome thing you did for Heather. They have no right to ban you from that petshop anyway, you didn't do anything wrong.

You saved a lady from buying a bird that she wouldn't have been happy with, you saved her her money so that she could eat that week, you made a new friend, you secured a home for one of your bubs and you taught those evil sales ladies a lesson!!!

• Member ID:  3,618
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,715
  • Birthday:  08/07/1987

well done,a big pat on the back for you! Just curious as to how old the sales ladies were?

• Member ID:  1,546
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,950
  • Birthday:  27/08/1993

wow that was such a nice thing for you to do!

i know we cant say what pet shops are called but is it... p p?

Edited by Rainbow
shortcut correction

• Member ID:  3,562

Missy, the sales staff were both in their early 20's at a guess.

BudgiesRCool, you are on the money.

I also saw at the same chain but different store, a young couple looking at $900 puppies, they were advertised as "designer dogs" AKA cross-breeds... (these were some kind of bulldog X possibly sharpai) and the one they were interested in had a massive umbilical hernia, bigger than a 50cent piece and raised about 15mm, almost certainly would need surgery in the future. I heard them question the lump and the girl laughed at them like they were fools and said all puppies have a belly button... unfortunately I didn't say anything to them but I'm sure they bought a problem that day.

That's the problem with petshops the sales assistants have to try and make as many sales as possible to get paid.

• Member ID:  3,695
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,125
  • Birthday:  27/03/1994

Great job! I have seen similar things happen and have been so close to ripping the tag "Baby Budgies" off the adult birds cage and throwing it at the workers! :budgiedance:. It just makes me so mad.

Ha ha, wouldn't that be funny if you smuggled your own signs in and then attached them to the cages without the sales assistants noticing. hahha

• Member ID:  1,546
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,950
  • Birthday:  27/08/1993

and to think i wanted to work for them......and did any one hear about the pond it had insufficiant water it was disgusting and have you seen the tiny little bowls which they sugest to hold a fighting fish! there is no room to put in plants or rocks! oh well when i turn 16 i can volunteer for the rspca and has any one seen seen the silly things they do at some of the chain stores? what they do is they sell so called baby and mother budgies....i'd doubt that they are even babies and i know they are not the real mothers...so they charge for a baby budgie, normal budgie and a bit extra...disgusting

shortcuts

please avoid the overuse of unapproved shortcuts

Edited by KAZ
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

The story brought a tear to my eye also. Well done and good on you, as Kaz said, that would have taken some guts.

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

Wonderful job there! Should put in a written complaint to the head office about the store.

At the same chain at **** I had a young lass tell me that budgies a 6 months old were still babies, I just laughed at her.

The new ****** in ***** I had to catch my own bird as the girl was afraid of birds!

Edited by KAZ
Edited name of store