• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  35
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hey all,

This is my secound post :fear I have two budgies (a male and a female) , both that i no are of breeding age. They are also healthy, and very alert. They also have a cage big enogh to house at least 6 budgies comfortably. Also connected to the catch is a breeding box. I've had the pair together for almost a year, yet they dont seem to want to mate, although they do stay close to gether and a friends!

I ve been reading all the different topics on this forum for hours and cannot understand why they do not want to mate :rolleyes: , from what i've read they can apparantly breed like there's no tommoro. Is it becase they just choose not too mate?

Anyway, does anyone no any suggestions that could mabey help "spice" up my budgies relationship? Or encourage breeding?

Thanks, Max

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Do you have pictures of your birds? Perhaps they're not actually Male and Female?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Max please post a photo of the cage and nesting box and the birds so we can work it all out for you. We helped another person on here recently and once we problem solved the cage and nestbox setup he has eggs and babies. So please do the photos and we can advise further.

Cheers Kaz

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Just stabbing in the dark here,

You may find that one budgie that you think is female, is actually a male, especially if its a yellow or mostly white bird. Not all males turn blue above their beeks, instead they stay pinkish, purple....

Or you may have a female who is white or very pale tan above her beek - this will meen she is not in good breeding condition and in need of more vitamins and minerals in her diet - and thus, will not breed.

hope this helps a bit.

liv

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Hi Max. I was re-reading your previous post (quoted below) and I notice you said you don't have the money to take your bird to the vet...

Hi all this is a great forum! I've had a male budgy who i love for about 6 years now. I also currently have a female budgy who is about 1 and a half years old. I have a small house and my 2 budgies live in a faily big cage indoors. Before i got my more recent hen, i had another hen paired with my male about 2 years ago. I saw them mate so i put a breeding box in. The hen never went near the matting box and just got fatter and fatter (as if there was and egg inside her) and was pulling feathers out of her bum and seemed tired (the top of her peak was also brown and looked ruff) . Sadly, she eventually died :huh: .So now when i noticed my new hen having the same symptoms, i put in a breeding box in. She too is ignoring it. I fear for the worst, and i dont have enogh money to take her to a vet.If there's anyone out there who can give me some advice, it would be greatly appriciated.Cheers, Max P.S I have never succsefuly breeded before, but would like to :)

Please, please, please reconsider breeding until you have the funds for any 'unplanned' problems. You may be one of the lucky ones who breeds with no problems at all, but there are many things that can go wrong with hens and chicks, that require vet treatment or result in death, and I'd hate for something to happen because you can't afford to get them the proper treatment. I don't mean to sound bitchy and am not trying to put you off breeding altogether, but this can happen. I'd also be researching heaps!!! (something members here can help you with). That way you'll be prepared for when breeding does begin. Good Luck when the time is right :D

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I completely agree with maise it sounds like taking a step back and reading up, collecting an ER fund for an avian vet is in order. Your right budgies can breed like there is no tommorrow that is why there are so many homeless budgies out there in shelters and many that are not cared for properly. Have you considered what you will be doing with the babies? Will you keep them but can you keep them all? If you don't keep them who will you adopt too? Along with that many times once you get them breeding even it you just want to do it 1x do expect that after it the hen may be an egg layer that you can't stop (it does happen).

I don't want to come over offensive that is not my intention but also want you to possible think of things that you have not thought of yet.

Welcome to the forums :hap:.

• Member ID:  3,990
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  35

Hello again. Here are some pictures, hopefully they will be able to help.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

I am sorry Max. You will have no success with that setup. You have bought a small finch/canary cage...totally unsuitable for budgie. They cannot fly in it and they need to fly from perch to perch across a cage. That cage is not really suited to one budgie much less two. You have been given very bad advice to have bought that cage. Also the wires taper at the top and budgies feet can get caught in it.

Nestbox will not stay level either.

You need a much larger cage and wider not tall. And perches so they can fly across the cage.

All they can do in that cage is sit and look at you. I am sorry. Wrong cage all round. :D

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

okay... Definatly a cock and hen... The cage set up isn't suited to breeding though, nor housing Two budgies... It's too high and not wide enough... The nest box should be connected to a wider cage higher up and there should be more than one perch for them to be able to jump inbetween and give them some exercise atleast!

Sorry KAZ :D posted at the same time!

Edited by *libby*

Hey all,

I have two budgies (a male and a female) , both that i no are of breeding age. They are also healthy, and very alert. They also have a cage big enogh to house at least 6 budgies comfortably.

This cage is both unsuited to budgies and definitely not suited to house 6 budgies. You may have to look for a better cage Max.

A cage set up like this

cage.jpg

this kind of cage but with the perches running front to back

cage7.jpg

Edited by KAZ
  • 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Kaz and Libby are absolutely correct about the cage set-up and more. Just my personal suggestion would be to get a budgie cage like Kaz suggested or you can see other member's set-ups first before you even get into breeding. Make sure your birds are condition, healthy, eating their veggies & fruits, pellets, seed and more to ensure healthly parents and babies.

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

For some reason I can only see pictures of your birds, not a picture of your cage. Often Budgies will breed in even cages that are too small for them, but this might be the reason that your bird got fat & then died, as to be healthy they need to exercise. Your Budgies both look healthy from those pictures, but some pairs will just not breed & often it’s very difficult to understand why. Certainly a cage in which they can get the right exercise would be a good start.

For some reason I can only see pictures of your birds, not a picture of your cage. Often Budgies will breed in even cages that are too small for them, but this might be the reason that your bird got fat & then died, as to be healthy they need to exercise. Your Budgies both look healthy from those pictures, but some pairs will just not breed & often it’s very difficult to understand why. Certainly a cage in which they can get the right exercise would be a good start.

I will try and repost the cage photo for Norm

IMG_1177.jpg

If it doesnt show Norm...the cage is the cylinder shaped on with the dome top....not wide enough to fly in and the nestbox has been attached at the side. Only room for the two budgies to sit on a perch.

• Member ID:  3,733
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1,820
  • Birthday:  16/01/1972

I agree with the others change your cage to one like in the pictue

• Member ID:  2,121
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  775

Just stabbing in the dark here,

You may find that one budgie that you think is female, is actually a male, especially if its a yellow or mostly white bird. Not all males turn blue above their beeks, instead they stay pinkish, purple....

We have a male who is the father of about 12 who has a very pink, female looking cere. Everybody who has seen him insists he is a girl. However we have witnessed him mating and there is absolutely NO question that he is a male, no matter how feminine he looks.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Hey all,

This is my secound post :) I have two budgies (a male and a female) , both that i no are of breeding age. They are also healthy, and very alert. They also have a cage big enogh to house at least 6 budgies comfortably. Also connected to the catch is a breeding box. I've had the pair together for almost a year, yet they dont seem to want to mate, although they do stay close to gether and a friends!

I ve been reading all the different topics on this forum for hours and cannot understand why they do not want to mate :yellowhead: , from what i've read they can apparantly breed like there's no tommoro. Is it becase they just choose not too mate?

Anyway, does anyone no any suggestions that could mabey help "spice" up my budgies relationship? Or encourage breeding?

Thanks, Max

How are you doing??? I am so sorry that you recieved poor advice when purchasing your cage. Don't feels it's you fault. I have a single canary in a cage just like that. I think there needs to be some regulations when it comes to bird cages etc.

Have you been able to get another cage???

Perhaps you could make one. It's not that hard and much cheaper.

Avairy wire (13mmx13mm square wire mesh), some untreated pine or metal, make a frame of atl east 90cm long X 60cm wide X 60cm long. Cover with wire etc etc.... really easy :)

Would be great to hear how your birds are going. :o

Edited by **Liv**
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

I Soooo can understand your fustration with wanting to breed so badly - I was there over a year ago !!!!

I havea few questions -

Have they gone into the nestbox and had a looky around????

Are they showing signs of Mating???

Budgies will pretty much mate and lay eggs if they [b]FEEL SAFE AND COMFORTABLE [/b]....

The dome cages are sooo pretty and etc But really aren't any good for most birds ....

There is not "safety Net" ( Corners ) for them .....

If you can't get your hands on a different cage or make one try moving the nest box up higher ....

If no good after 3 - 4 weeks take the box out and try again Fingers crossed you'll get a different cage by then... IF your are near Go - Lo or Crazy Clark they have Good size cages for around $20 -$30 ..

But You need the right set up to get going ....

Just like us a few candles & the right place and we are ready ....

But once those eggs come it is worth the wait !!!!!!