Sign in to follow this  
Max101

Help! Hen Possibly Pregnant

Hi all this is a great forum! I've had a male budgy who i love for about 6 years now. I also currently have a female budgy who is about 1 and a half years old. I have a small house and my 2 budgies live in a faily big cage indoors. Before i got my more recent hen, i had another hen paired with my male about 2 years ago. I saw them mate so i put a breeding box in. The hen never went near the matting box and just got fatter and fatter (as if there was and egg inside her) and was pulling feathers out of her bum and seemed tired (the top of her peak was also brown and looked ruff) . Sadly, she eventually died :) .So now when i noticed my new hen having the same symptoms, i put in a breeding box in. She too is ignoring it. I fear for the worst, and i dont have enogh money to take her to a vet.If there's anyone out there who can give me some advice, it would be greatly appriciated.Cheers, Max P.S I have never succsefuly breeded before, but would like to :wacko:

Hi Max,

Budgies DO have recreational sex. Just because we see them doing that does not mean a "pregnancy" nor does it mean you need to put in a nesting box. It doesnt work for birds like it does for humans. Budgies can have birdie sex BUT only when you put anesting box in is it YOU giving them PERMISSION to go further and have babies. So...ignore the budgie sex and make sure there is nowhere they can have or make babies and you will be free of budgie babies. If, however you want babies, then you put anesting box in. BUT you need to plan ahead and learn all you can first. You also need to have them on the best diet available in preparation for babies. They need to be the correct age which is 12 months or older. etc.

Your other hen that died seemed to have another health issue entirely. Perhaps at that time she should have seen a bird vet to work it out.

I would remove the nesting box at this time, as it seems you arent quite sure what budgie breeding is all about, as a pregnant budgie isnt quite the way it works. Take some time to learn and what better place than this forum to do just that :)

Hi max, Karen has given some excellent advice...

Remove your nesting box for now, until your birds are in peak condition and you've learnt more... You don't want to risk the life of your new hen when breeding if she's ill or else you could possibly have alot more deaths on your hands... (the chicks)...

There's Thousands of articles on this forum of proper care and breeding help so take your time, get your birds healthy and once you've learnt as much as you think you can find, re-attempt it once they're in better health.

Don't forget if you're ever curious you can ask forum members experienced in breeding if there's something you dont know, are unsure of or just genuinly interested :hap:

Good luck to you and your birds :)

There is a fair chance,there is a build up of fat, or dare i say it a tumor,some hens have this problem,

Hi, welcome to the forums :budgiedance:

Guest Phoebe

:ygbudgie: Hello and welcome to BBC! Yes, please DO remove the nesting box, ensure your budgies have an adequately sized cage as you say you have, fresh water, seed/pellets and vegetables every day. That should make everybody okay. AS you say you cannot afford a vet, perhaps breeding should NOT be in your future, remember that the well being of your budgies is your first priority. :budgiedance: