Sign in to follow this  
the knights

Mice In The Aviary

I've got mice coming into the aviary to eat seed. Does this pose a health risk to the birds because of disease? The mice are too scared of the birds so I'm not worried about attack. :D

I've had the same problem with my outdoor aviary.

The mice droppings can contaminate food and this can cause disease and illness in your birds, I would suggest setting a few traps outside the aviary.

:D

I've had the same problem with my outdoor aviary.

The mice droppings can contaminate food and this can cause disease and illness in your birds, I would suggest setting a few traps outside the aviary.

:D

Thanks for your advice. I'll set traps outside the aviary. The mice can't get access to the feeder as its suspended from the aviary roof. I was wondering about contamination of the seed on the ground as the birds like to eat seed from the ground as well as the feeder. I wonder if a dose of worming medicine is in order? :mellow:

Mice urinating and pooping in the food sources can cause birds to die from salmonella very quickly. If your concern is the mice getting in through the mesh, the solution is to attach smooth tin or similar to the bottom section of the aviary going up around 2-3 feet. Or double mesh the aviary so the holes in thw wire are extremely small. Mice and rats can climb and jump almost anything.I have lost birds in the past due to contaminated food sources from mice. It IS something to be concerned about.P.S. Mice these days seem to know about traps and avoid them. Boxes with holes in and traps or poison inside seem to work...although a mouse can drag out bits of the poison and spread it in other areas.

Mice urinating and pooping in the food sources can cause birds to die from salmonella very quickly. If your concern is the mice getting in through the mesh, the solution is to attach smooth tin or similar to the bottom section of the aviary going up around 2-3 feet. Or double mesh the aviary so the holes in thw wire are extremely small. Mice and rats can climb and jump almost anything.I have lost birds in the past due to contaminated food sources from mice. It IS something to be concerned about.P.S. Mice these days seem to know about traps and avoid them. Boxes with holes in and traps or poison inside seem to work...although a mouse can drag out bits of the poison and spread it in other areas.

Thanks for your advice KAZ. I'll get onto blocking the holes ASAP.

Thanks for your advice KAZ. I'll get onto blocking the holes ASAP.

Mice can actually get through most aviary mesh, the one inch by half inch type and smaller too. It may not just be holes you have to look at :D

Edited by KAZ

I keep a cat in mine- seems to do the trick..... (Laughing out loud) sorry couldnt help myself- can I blame the heat!!

I go hard every now and again with poison- must keep an eye our though as the mice poo green poison afterwards and I reckon its something the birds would try.

you can buy special mouse traps from some pet stores and they are very successful and it doesn't use poison and cant hurt ur birds. it is a box shape with a hole in the middle and wire spikes pointing down, this means the mice can get in but not out. you attract the mice by using peanut butter. my friend used this method and in a matter of a week he caught and killed 20 mice. then you drown the mice while they are still in the trap

Edited by scottie

Guest lonebudgie

I use baits all the time for rats and mice ( not in the avairy ) , I place stations in the breeding room and around the outside of the avairy they are in old nest boxes or old show cages ,so that birds or other animals cannot get at it . I change brands all the time when it runs out , havnt had a problem with any mouse poop in the avairy as I clean each week.

I have noticed one thing though if you have mice then rats turn up the mice will go , once you kill the rats the mice will slowly come back.

Remember a rat Ive been told can travel up to seven kilometres in one night not sure if this is true , but they seem to find my place after a while.

Goodluck -_-