• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  245
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all, I need some advice. I have Buzby booked in thursday for a vet appointment, but I am a little concerned about him. He's been okay up till today, but today he has been quiet on his perch, not fluffed up or head back, just sat there moving now and again to clean, prune himself, move up and down the perch and also moved and perked up to come on my hand like he always does, then goes back to sit there.

I have known that he has a fatty lump underside of him, as it was diagnosed last year, but it really haven't given him any problems and he has been really healthy with good appetite. I have kept the corner warm for him, and to look at him when he prunes himself and plays on my hand he really looks okay. I have give him water through the day, and tonight he took a few bites of food. Then he comes to life a bit and moves perches tonight before I cover him for bed and he looks his normal self.

Yesterday I had a new 3 piece suite delivered and it is a different colour and type and the corner where he is has always been next to my chair so he can play when he wants with me and can see me. Could it be that he has not taken to the 3 piece suite or a little scared by it, as it all looks different. I tried out in the middle of the room of the table where we do place him, and he was still the same, though he can see the whole 3 piece suite. The 2 seems to be linked, but I can't see it affecting him today and not yesterday. Though he was up a lot earlier yesterday than normal.

Sorry for the long post and will update you tomorrow if he survives the night. Thanks.

Anthony

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Might sound weird, but a lot of soft furniture and carpets have been treated with chemicals....some to deter spillages spoiling the sofa etc, and carpets can have formaldehyde in them. Can he have a sensitivity to something in the new furniture ?

• Member ID:  1,650

Thanks for that, I will keep that in mind. Just an update, I got up this morning and expecting the worse I undcovered buzby and he was quite well and after he woke up he was chirping, and went straight for food. I took him to the vet who could not see nothing unusal with him and said to monitor him. Unfortunately, I think were he did not eat, his poos are a little runny, but the boy is back to himself at the moment.

I will keep an update on buzby on this thread as to how he is doing. Thanks.

Anthony

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Glad to see he is doing well today. As Kaz said maybe it was the fumes they could have affected him birds have very sensitive respiratory systems so if you paint, recarpet or anything they suggest that you move the bird to a completely different part of the house.

You didn't mention any dietary changes or new food that you could have given him if so that could have played an affect but if not I believe as Kaz said it could have been the fumes.

• Member ID:  875
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

What kind of suite is it - I find it highly unlikely that fumes is the issue. No new sofas have anything chemical used on them unless you have requested it and PAID for it. I know I got a new sofa delivered a while back and I was NO WAY paying an extra £200 to have it coated with something that in my opinion are not worth it.

Well thats the case in this country anyways :hap:

Edited by Boomberry

in the US you can get them sprayed as you said Booms with tephlon for stain resistance the glue is more of what I was thinking about when fumes come to mind too if they used glue.

Yeah I know what you mean Elly but its not done for free here, in fact its really expensive so unless Anthony has requested this done, there will be nothing chemical wise added to it :hap:

What kind of suite is it - I find it highly unlikely that fumes is the issue. No new sofas have anything chemical used on them unless you have requested it and PAID for it. I know I got a new sofa delivered a while back and I was NO WAY paying an extra £200 to have it coated with something that in my opinion are not worth it.

Well thats the case in this country anyways :hap:

New furniture contains chemicals.......primarily the one to be concerned about in a room with a budgie in it is FORMALDEHYDE.........commonly a part of the manufacture of soft furnishings such as loungesuites and carpets.

QUOTE Formaldehyde

Almost everyone, at home, work or in the community is exposed to formaldehyde. It is a colourless gas with a strong and pungent odour which is known to cause skin, eye and respiratory damage, and which, in sufficient doses, affects the heart and lung function and the menstrual cycle. It causes allergic reactions and mental disturbances and is a known cause of several types of cancer.

Hazards

Even very short term exposure to formaldehyde irritates the eyes causing pain, redness, blurred vision and severe eye watering.

It can irritate the nose and throat causing sneezing, soreness, coughing, shortness of breath, headaches and nausea. In severe cases of exposure to elevated levels it can lead to accumulation of fluid in the lung (pulmonary oedema).

Long term exposure causes chronically impaired lung function, skin hardening, swelling and flaking, dermatitis, allergic eczema, and cancer.

Formaldehyde is a skin and respiratory sensitiser. It is a sensitising agent which can stimulate the body's immune response so that a subsequent exposure to even a very small amount is likely to trigger an allergic response.

Exposure at Home

The main sources of exposure to formaldehyde in the home are furniture, which may contain formaldehyde in the glues, resins and board materials used in its manufacture, and urea formaldehyde foam products used in upholstery. Formaldehyde based resins are also used as a binding agent for mineral fibre based insulation products used for cavity wall and loft insulation and gap filling foams. HSE have published guidelines on work with urea formaldehyde. Formaldehyde vapour can be emitted for several years after installation. Additional exposure may come from formaldehyde-containing cosmetics and cleaning agents. Some carpets and soft furnishing textiles and wall coverings also contain formaldehyde based adhesives, finishes and preservatives which can also raise domestic exposure levels.

Adhesives, non-toxic

Adhesives are an essential part of the furniture making process because they bond materials together. Non-toxic adhesives are often water-based and help eliminate Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) from entering our homes and are safer for the environment. VOCs can be highly toxic and dangerous to human health. The World Health Organization noted in 2004, for example, that formaldehyde is a human carcinogen. Forward-thinking furniture designers, therefore, recognize the benefits of avoiding noxious, formaldehyde-based wood adhesives.

NEW FURNITURE

VOCs are Volatile Air Compounds which are a class of chemicals that are carbon-based that can evaporate at room temperature. This ‘off-gassing’ is associated with ‘sick building syndrome’. Sealants, paints, lacquers, varnishes and adhesives tend to ‘off-gas’. Off-gassing is more prominent in newer furniture and in most cases reduces in intencity over time. A lot of new furniture contains formaldehyde, which is considered a carcinogen and can lead to skin, eye and respiratory irritation.

Identifying the source of a particular VOC is difficult, but if you are experiencing symptoms related with VOCs and have recently bought furniture, then the new furniture is most likely off-gassing.

Try to increase the ventilation in areas with furniture, especially new furniture. Avoid buying new furniture if possible when pregnant. – Increased ventilation reduces exposure to VOCs, buying new furniture when pregnant is dangerous because VOCs can ‘cross’ the placenta to the foetus.

Although most furniture reduces its amount of off-gassing over time, generally the problem does not cease, it just decreases. Ventilation is the best option.

Edited by KAZ

Very very true Kaz...I have read many article about this, it is a reality that people want to ignore.

That is why I automatically become concerned seeing budgies walking around on carpets :hap:

Well you can hardly live without furniture :(Laughing out loud):

no you can't

but we can be aware how it affects our pets when we get new furniture etc....:hap:

Edited by Elly

No, I had no coatings sprayed on the suite, and I did take him out of the room when the suite was being delivered. He shows no sign of breathing problems just was quiet and still. Seems to be getting better, but only eating little bits of food and still soft poos.

Anthony

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l'm glad to hear that he is doing better :hap:

No, I had no coatings sprayed on the suite, and I did take him out of the room when the suite was being delivered. He shows no sign of breathing problems just was quiet and still. Seems to be getting better, but only eating little bits of food and still soft poos.

Anthony

The concern wasnt just for coating sprayed on the suite but the formaldehyde which is part of the manufacture of the suite. I was just trying to point out a little known fact that most people are unaware of. Like non stick cookware which can be harmful and toxic, so also can new furniture and carpets.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Was the vet you saw an avian vet, and did he do any tests at all? It sounds like something is up with Buzby, with the loss of appetite and soft poos. Maybe seek a second opinion?

I agree on that if they haven't firmed up by today you need to seek a 2nd opinion as Bea said. :D

Good news, now Buzby has returned to his normal self, including appetite and firm poos now. It was a very strange one though and something I can't really explain as it was no warning signs the day before or nothing as I always keep an close eye on my boy. Now he got plenty of energy and chirping (making up for lost time I think)

Thanks again

Anthony

Edited by acharris