Sign in to follow this  
Little one

Myth Or True?

I went to the Markets today to get a new bird (Roxii,) and we were also about to buy a second cockateil. All of my birds are in the aviary including the cockateil, one cockateil, 6 budgies. So I was going to get a second cockateil and the lady at our service told us that 'budgies are very territorial, if you want cockateils with budgies, you need more cockateils than the amount of budgies, or the budgies would kill the cockateils.' Now I'm really worried, the cockateil has been housed with the budgies for at least a year and so far so good. They get along great, there is an occasional 'nip' or 'peck' but all birds do that. Do you think that this could be true, iv'e never heard of that before? I don't know if the lady was an experienced bird person.

Edited by KAZ

Phew! that made me feel alot better! :budgiedance:

I don't know about all that but she is right about 1 thing budgies are very territiorial and can become nasty (especially if you intro any type of colony breeding). It has been suggested by many here never to mix budgies in an aviary situation and never in a regular cage with any other species because of their territorial attitude. If you have not had an issue then I would not worry but always keep a look out for a possible issue in the aviary.

I have a few paries of Cockatiels in each aviary with my Budgies & mostly it seems okay, but I have learnt from bitter experience that it is a risk to let them breed. I had a few aviaries with one pair of Budgie & One pair of Cockatiels & it went okay, but then I had one pair in an aviary with quite a few Budgies & when the first baby Cockatiel left the nest, it was attacked so bad that I removed the pair & babies, to another cage by themselves, but the baby was so injured it died. Then the other day I had a pair with young just leaving the nest & there were two baby Budgies just a couple of week old in the aviary even they attached & killed one baby. I can’t see that the number of bird has any difference [she might have wanted to seel you more Cockatiels] but breeding together, definitely not.

I have a few paries of Cockatiels in each aviary with my Budgies & mostly it seems okay, but I have learnt from bitter experience that it is a risk to let them breed. I had a few aviaries with one pair of Budgie & One pair of Cockatiels & it went okay, but then I had one pair in an aviary with quite a few Budgies & when the first baby Cockatiel left the nest, it was attacked so bad that I removed the pair & babies, to another cage by themselves, but the baby was so injured it died. Then the other day I had a pair with young just leaving the nest & there were two baby Budgies just a couple of week old in the aviary even they attached & killed one baby. I can't see that the number of bird has any difference [she might have wanted to seel you more Cockatiels] but breeding together, definitely not.

okay, so I suppose it's safe to just breed the budgies and leave the cockateil on it's own, we tried to do that once and it went okay, the only problem was the tiny aviary, so i'll only breed budgies on their own, not with cockateils. Thanks for your help. ;)

I would say have just budgies in your aviary to breed and don't have any tiels in there at all during the breeding season would be best.

I guess if the aviary is big enough there shouldnt be too many problems but in an inside pet situation housing together is a no. In my opinion anyways and from my experience owning both species.

Guest 4-birds-2-luv

I have had 5 birds total in my lifetime (yes, thats it). I have two birds that were my first birds EVER...they are 2 females, and are BFFs. They simply HATE other birds. So now, they are by themselves in a cage. Even with a huge cage, they just sit there all day. So I say, it depends on the bird. All of my other birds love other birds. They love making friends...(Laughing out loud)

Thanks alot guys! :) I was really worried.