• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  50
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Any experts out there please, I have 2 budgies 1 x male 1 x female the male was very chatty then all of a sudden I noticed large amounts of poo and pools of what looks to be water on the sand paper, Iam changing the sheets every 2 days and the sheets stick to the tray when cleaning. The birds seem okay but it's like having a child you know when something's wrong, they have had lettuce and a fruit stick about 4 days ago along with their seed. I haven't given them more and Iam sticking with seed. I have had them for 3 years with no problems until now, can you help please. Mick

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

It does sound like your bird is not well. Giving the benefit of the doubt lettuce can make runny poos but I would assume it would have within 24-48 hours.

When birds change significantly like yours has it does mean that there is something wrong. If I told you to wait and see if the bird bounces back it may be to late it may not so it will be a decision you will have to make about a possible vet visit. I have had a personal experience where my bird was singing in the AM flying around and by evening he passed away in my hands (this is not to frighten you but to show you how delicate they are).

Please read Signs of a Sick Budgie from our BBC FAQ Section

If it was me I would find out if there is an avian vet or a vet that knows about birds in your area. Many times it could be a bacterial infection and if given antibiotics immediately may help the bird recover.

This is me though..this is what I would do personally.

• Member ID:  3,743

It does sound like your bird is not well. Giving the benefit of the doubt lettuce can make runny poos but I would assume it would have within 24-48 hours.

When birds change significantly like yours has it does mean that there is something wrong. If I told you to wait and see if the bird bounces back it may be to late it may not so it will be a decision you will have to make about a possible vet visit. I have had a personal experience where my bird was singing in the AM flying around and by evening he passed away in my hands (this is not to frighten you but to show you how delicate they are).

Please read Signs of a Sick Budgie from our BBC FAQ Section

If it was me I would find out if there is an avian vet or a vet that knows about birds in your area. Many times it could be a bacterial infection and if given antibiotics immediately may help the bird recover.

This is me though..this is what I would do personally.

Thanks Elly. I have change their sand paper this morning doesn't look to bad, they are a bit "groggy" yet as it still 7.00am I will look in on them later. will keep you informed. thanks Mick

how are they? If they bounce back it could have been the lettuce it is pretty harsh sometimes on the stomach. Even rabbits are to be kept away from it. Now Romaine is better but Iceberg (no nutritional value)

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

As Elly has advised you Lettuce is not a recommended green food for birds. What is that fruit stick you mentioned also? If it were some confectionary thing for humans I wouldn’t be using that also. It could have excessive sugar & other things that humans could tolerate but could be fatal to a bird.

• Member ID:  3,743

As Elly has advised you Lettuce is not a recommended green food for birds. What is that fruit stick you mentioned also? If it were some confectionary thing for humans I wouldn't be using that also. It could have excessive sugar & other things that humans could tolerate but could be fatal to a bird.
Hi Norm, the fruit stick is a Avia Health Treat (Fruit & nut) I usually give them one a month I have given them Avol Mixture which over here is a remedy for poo problems, it seems to have worked their back to normal beak fighting over the toys and creating "holy ***" thanks for your input will take note of the lettuce thing.
how are they? If they bounce back it could have been the lettuce it is pretty harsh sometimes on the stomach. Even rabbits are to be kept away from it. Now Romaine is better but Iceberg (no nutritional value)
Hi Elly, I disfected all the toys and cage took me three hours, I gave them Johnson's Avol Mixture which over here is a medicine for the poo problem I have left out the lettuce as you & norm said and "hey presto" they are back to beak fighting and making lots of noise the tray bottom is looking as it should with no wet patches. just like to say thanks for your input, it's the first time I have used a forum like this one and Iam very impressed with the layout and members who contributed to the disscusion. Over here if your not in a club your on your own which is a shame, but that the British for you. Thanks once again. Mick

Wonderful to hear Mick that they are both doing well and back to normal. If you go in our FAQ section you will see a part on food and nutrition and it gives you good healthy options of veggies and fruits :)

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Glad to hear that things have improved Mick.

:ygbudgie: Glad all is well Mick! Nobody mentioned it but we don't recommend sandpaper cage liner for birds, they can chew and ingest it which is not a good thing. Just like sandpaper perch covers as it can hurt their feet and again, they can eat it. :)