Sign in to follow this  
Budgiefreak123

Food For Breeding

Hello my name is sean and i was just wondering if anyone new of foods that are good to feed your budgerigars as a so caled Aphrodisiac as I have had trouble with breeding with eggs being chucked out time and time again. I have increassed next boxes and would like to try again. So what are some foods. Or do you have any advice to help me out breeding. I am a colony breeder well not yet but hope to be.

Thankyou :budgiedance:

Hello my name is sean and i was just wondering if anyone new of foods that are good to feed your budgerigars as a so caled Aphrodisiac as I have had trouble with breeding with eggs being chucked out time and time again. I have increassed next boxes and would like to try again. So what are some foods. Or do you have any advice to help me out breeding. I am a colony breeder well not yet but hope to be.

Thankyou :budgiedance:

Sean, It's not about the food. Its more to do with how many birds in what space and conditions, how many nestboxes etc. The hardest thing you will ever do and is the most stress on the birds is COLONY BREEDING. It isnt the best way to go about things at all, will present you with the most problems, and requires that you spend ALL YOUR TIME watching them and changing birds around, nestbox positions, and removing troublemakers. And thats only the beginning of the nightmare you may end up with. Could you possibly buy or make a couple of breeder cabinets just for a couple of breeding pairs at a time, and keep the non breeding birds in the aviary for your viewing pleasure ?

Edited by **KAZ**

If anyone knows of a Aphrodisiac fror budgies,let me know & I can bag it up & sell it. :oliveb:

I think we need a flashing sign for new breeders,don`t try to colony breed before reading the instructions, of how to colony breed,better still don`t try. :nest: It not very hard to make up a

breeding cage & nest box.To breed yourself some budgies & less hassles& you can pair up,the

pair you want to breed :budgiedance:

If anyone knows of a Aphrodisiac fror budgies,let me know & I can bag it up & sell it. :budgiedance:

Geez Macka ... my birds are bad enough with the flirting and bonking as it is :nest: ... don't know if it'd be safe to give them your (patented ;) off course ) "Aphrodisiac" if you ever made it - they'd wear themselves out! :oliveb:

Seriously Sean, a well fed and healthy budgie has an irresistible urge to breed. That is not your problem. Budgie eggs and chicks being kicked out is a sure sign of jealousy and competition over nesting boxes. Cabinet breeding is the ONLY way to stop that.

I used to colony breed, and although it was extremely successful, it was not uncommon to have eggs and chicks evicted and/or attacked. Tracking down and isolating the offending hens in a large, high, open flight was no easy job either.

Good luck,

KathyW.