babys weaning

Guest dozybeak

Guest dozybeak

i have a 4 week old baby, just left the nest but i havent seen mum feed him yet. she is with him constantly and is cleaning him lots and lots but i have yet to see mum or dad feed him. will he start feeding by himself on normal seed or should i be putting special food on the floor (soft food) or give him millet spray?? i am very worried about the best thing to do. he has come this far from mum and dad i dont want to intervene but i dont want to sit back and watch if he is hungry. hark at me i souund like a real mum :(Laughing out loud):

• Member ID:  70
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

the **** bird should feed him i would put some egg food on the floor also some soaked seed

Guest dozybeak

no the **** bird wont feed them, frankie has been doing it all by herself up till now. in fact tonight charlie actually went for one of the babys and even though frankie kept pecking him away he would wait till she was out of the way and then try again, really pecking it so i have had to put charlie into another cage for nowjust next door so they can still see each other but he cant get at the babys. i dont know what is happening. i will do what you say and put soft food down for them. will it hurt them to try the seed that is on the floor?? i assume they are only playing for now. with the soaked seed.. how do i best do that just soak normal seed in water for a while???

sorry to ask all these questions but i am worried for my little fella.

• Member ID:  70
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

no problem ask as many questions as you like charlie sounds like he wants to breed again did you have a hidy hole for your chicks to get in mine are basically a little platform 3 inches high that the chicks can get under if attacked i put my soft food on top of this.it will not hurt the chicks to try the seed on the floor infact thats a good sighn,i soak my seed for 24 hours

Guest dozybeak

is it quite common for the **** to try and attack the chicks then?? maybe i did the wrong thing in removing him. i will try and put the hiding shelves in and then reintroduce him again. but keeping an eye on things. Charlie definately wants to breed again.. he keeps trying to and i think frankie wants to too but because he isnt helping her i worry that she will take on too much to try again now. The chicks are all getting along well though she is a good moma.

thanks again hath.

it will be nice when i can help others by sharing all i learn.