Davegf28

Mother Budgie Lost All Use Of One Leg ?

I found two dead babies and then I noticed that mom was stuck on the floor all stressed out. She acts like it is broken or something but I can't feel any breaks. Does anyone have any ideas. She has been in a hospital cage for a two days and she is alive but still can't use her leg. I am hand feeding the last baby so she doesen't have to worry about it. I am giveing her vitamins and minerals in her water now and I don't know what to do for her?

It sounds like getting her to the vet is the best thing you can do for her right now.

Are you colony breeding where another cock got to her or where is her partner?

As for the use of that leg she needs to be seen by a an Avian Vet ASAP to give you an answer.

Guest Phoebe
:D As per everybody else, off to the vet , ASAP! Good luck to you and your girl. :(

she could have suffered from a stroke or her nest got attacked but l really don't know, it is best if you go and see an avian vet. so she can be properly diagnosed.

Edited by birdluv

quote.....

"Budgies often suffer from a myriad of tumors as they age. Budgies that develop a limp or weakness of one leg often have a tumor pressing on the sciatic nerve, causing the leg problem. The tumor may be of the kidney, gonad or adrenal gland. Other tumors may occur in almost any organ"

A budgie that is ill, in this case the hen, will immediately stop caring for her babies. Its her instinct for self preservation.

She needs looking at by a vet.

Edited by **KAZ**

Yep I agree with every one about this because it does not sound good.

Yes if it is in one leg I would say that it is a problem with the sciatic nerve of that leg. This can be caused, like Kaz said, by a tumour on or around the kidney. She could have also experienced problems while laying an egg which pressed on the nerve. My budgie Saffy had a similar problem, after nesting, her right leg was only 30% functional. I have taken her to the vet and had xray's and bloods done, but no sign of anything, so I am assuming it is due to an egg.

However you must take her to a vet as soon as possible as this poor little bird is probably in pain for every minute that you wait, so even if you can't get a diagnosis, you may be able to get pain relief.

For it to come on this quickly is a worry. Get her to a vet ASAP

If it is a problem with the nerve I have found that physiotherapy has restored Saffy's function in her foot back to about 70-80% so far.

It sounds like a stroke,if she broke a leg,that would`nt stop her from getting off the floor.

If that is the case & it was a stroke.Budgie heaven,would be the best place for her. :angel1:

I disagree with her going to budgie heaven. If it is just a problem with the leg and the rest of her is fine, then she can live a perfectly normal life. Humans do it all the time and animals are very adaptable.

Thanks everyone! I know I need to take her to the Vet, the problem with that is there isn't one close by that specializes in birds or anyone who will look at one and at this time we are really tight on money. I don't want to lose her, she was such a good parent.

To the one who said they had something similar happen with them, did it cost a lot for what you had done. I want to be able to help her but I'm afraid I can't pay for the service so that's why I was hoping there was something I could do at home to help her. Her mate is left in their cage and I put her in her own cage with no perches or anything, just a low dish for her food and water. She already seems like she got the hang of it with one leg by using her beak to climb. Also she doesn't seem in pain because when I examined her leg she didn't move, jump or make any reaction to me touching, moving it. Though she might still be in some pain, I'm not sure!

I feel really bad for her about her not being able to use both legs as I'm learning they are very important for budgies! I also feel bad because I think I could have notice before hand because there was slight change in her behavior early on. For instance, when I would usually go check on the babies, she would jump out of the nest box when I open the door in the back. But she started not getting out, just hanging out in there and wouldn't move off of the babies. She never did that before, I mean she would still be in there sometimes but once I shine the light in the box, she would get out. So, I think her leg was giving her problems then but not as bad because she was still doing good in the cage outside of the nest box.

So any advise would be greatly appreciated and needed! Thanks everyone!

You got the best advise anyone can give you and that is to take her to an avian vet or at least a vet around you because we can not diagnosis her or give you answers for no cost we would be guessing and that is not fair to you or your bird.

Calling vets and asking them upfront what the fees are is best. We live all around the world so it is different and even from city to city vets charge difference.

Please don't take this wrong but if you can't afford to vet your budgie in a time of need then maybe you should reconsider rehoming them until you can care for them properly. Also breeding is not very responsible to breed if you don't have the funds because again just like parents and babies may need vet care and it does cost.

I don't mean to be harsh but they are living creatures that will need vet care. If our kids where hurt we wouldn't say I can't afford to take them to the MD because they are sick.

This is a really great read from our FAQ section Do Birds Need Vets

Of course if you know you wouldn't be able to take care of animals, it's best not to have one but there is a difference in money being tight in someone life during a time then not being able to afford pets. Now I think that was very rude and judgmental because I had said that right now money is tight, doesn't mean I can't take care of my animals. That is very unfair of you because you have no idea what is going on, someone could have a major event happen, where it could take all of their income away, so would that then be right for you to say what you did? As in anyone's life, when it comes to children or pets, sometimes things might become hard to pay, specially when you have other mouths to feed and take care of. So since I ask someone what they paid for service, makes me unable to take care of my birds, in your opinion where I should give them up. Now I didn't say I wasn't going to take them to the vet, like I said the biggest problem is there isn't a Vet close by that specializes in birds, so that makes it very difficult to bring my little bird to the vet if its hours away. Like I said I was hoping there was something I could do at home, and I wasn't asking for anyone to diagnose her or tell me what to do for no cost, I just wanted some advice, not someone being judgmental when you have no idea what is going on in our life to make such comments. That would make anyone upset specially if their birds are their children, but because they are like my children, doesn't mean the world sees them that way. So I don't have any control over where a Bird Vet where to take location or that health care for pets are not like children or humans where if in an emergency I was able to take my bird for care then be billed or be able to make payments specially when I don't live in the same county as the closet Bird Vet.

So I ask nicely that if anyone feels that something isn't right or is wrong in a birds home to ask questions, so you better understand the situation before making comments that will only cause drama/emotions on a post! Thank You!

Dear Davegf28

You were, obviously, very hurt about Elly's comments, but I feel sure she didn't mean to be rude or hurt you. She probably forgot about the part where you said that money was tight for you RIGHT NOW when writing her post. She answers a lot of posts and it would be easy to make this mistake. Elly is such a supportive and helpful person, I can assure you. She cares about birds so much and goes out of her way to help people on this forum. I feel sure that she would never be deliberately hurtful.

I am in the same position as you, having spent well over £300, so far this year, on vet bills for my budgie. They still don't know what's wrong with him either and he may need even more tests and Xrays. I also don't know how we will pay for it, but we will find a way somehow, even if I have to sell something!! I have decided to start a little saving account for my bird. for future vet bills. I had no idea, when we got our bird, that the costs could be so high! I hadn't researched it nearly enough before getting him. As your present financial position is only temporary, you are, fortunately, not in our position. I must say, that even though I would be heartbroken to lose him, I would re-home my bird, if he was suffering and I could not get him the help he needed.

I am not experienced enough to give you any practical help, unfortunately,Davegf28. Wish I could help. Until you can see a vet, I should imagine, all you can do really is to keep her warm and fed and also make sure she has lots of rest in a quiet place.

As for the costs, the Xrays here in the UK, cost £70 and blood tests cost anything from £25 to £45 each depending on the type of test they do. I think it could be much less expensive in the USA - I notice that many things are much less expensive there, so hopefully vets charge less too! Someone on the forum mentioned that some vets may allow you to pay off the costs over a few months - you could just ask and see what they say. I also have to drive a long way to the Avian vet. There are just not enough of them for some reason. I find that mine always seems to be off duty as well, when I need him most!! I really think your best choice is to phone the avian vet and explain that you have a temporary cash problem and would he consider treating your bird, whilst allowing you to pay off the costs over a couple of months or so. He may be a caring person who wouldn't want your bird to suffer unnecessarily.

Please let us know how things go. I will pray that you will find a helpful vet.

Luv

Vonn

Guest Phoebe
:D Nobody is trying to be rude, they have all been helpful but collectively, they have exhausted all their resources and knowledge and the vet is the only option left and this condition sounds very serious. Everybody can appreciate that you are short of funds and hopefully this is of a temporary nature. Maybe breeding should be put on hold for now until things get straightened out financially? Good luck to your girl, some vets can be cheaper than others but you have to shop around. Over the lifetime of my dog (who had various medical problems) I probably spent the equivalent of a small import car but I don't begrudge one cent, I just had to cut back on other things. :D

Unfortunately because I am vet student, I get my consultations free and my xrays and meds and blood works done a lot cheaper.

The vets couldnot diagnose Saffy's problem, but like I said doing physiotherapy on her leg has really worked a treat.

Try taking your budgie's leg and extending and flexing it gently and then move it in all natural positions and ways as if she was walking. Flex and extend her toes. This works by increasing blood flow to the area and helps to heal any nerve or muscle damage. Do it for about 5 minutes every day and you might start noticing differences in a week (I know I did).

Regarding pain in budgies: Because budgies are a prey animal, they do not tend to show pain as this would make them more susceptible to attack.

Budgies therefore do not show many reactions in pain. Saffy didn't really do much she just bit extra hard, while I have her her injections. Most signs in pain are fluffing up, looking sleepy, sleeping more and tail bobbing. They don't tend to react as much as say a dog would.

Edited by Sailorwolf