Baby Budgie Questions

Guest Newbie

Guest Newbie

Hello All, I have not posted in a while as busy building a new aviary and have been overseas but just have a couple of questions.

My budgies recently had two gorgeous babies which would now be between 3-4 months old but the female

seems to be pregnant and her dad is hanging around her allot and is displaying jealousy if another bird comes near her. I have her mum in a seperate cage as she doesnt seem well atm so just looking after her inside until she is well enough to rejoin the gang

My questions are:

Are my baby budgies (3-4 mths) too young to be breeding?

If so what should I do?

When can I take babies away from thier parents and will both baby and parents be okay

I have two house birds insde in a big aviary can i put two babies from the aviary in there, will they be okay?

and

How many males to females should there be in an aviary?

Thanks

Bec

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Are my baby budgies (3-4 mths) too young to be breeding?

If so what should I do?

Yes, they are still only babies at this point. It sounds like you are colony breeding ( as in nest boxes in the aviary) If this is so if it is possible remove ALL nest sites from the aviary. Some hens will still lay eggs for a few days but should ignore them.

When can I take babies away from their parents and will both baby and parents be okay

babies can be removed from parents between week 6 and 8 depending if they are able to feed themselves. If there are fights or babies are being attacked by a parent they can be removed earlier but need to be watched extra closely, soft foods, millet sprays and fresh food should be offered as well as seeds.

I have two house birds inside in a big aviary can i put two babies from the aviary in there, will they be okay?

If the cage is big enough to house 4 birds there should be no trouble with bringing the babies inside to join the flock.

How many males to females should there be in an aviary?

As long as they are not breeding in the aviary then it doesn't matter how many of each you have.