• Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,585
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1984

I've been wondering (in case you don't know yet, I often wonder stuff. :wacko:) can I handfeed my chicks here and then? Not because they need my help (they're doing great!), but just for the fun of adding up another bond? Or will mommy birdie not like that?

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

It really isn't necessary unless the parents stop taking care of the babies. It won't necessarily create "a better bond". If you want tame babies that are unafraid of people the best thing to do would be to regularly handle them during nest box cleanings and (I think this is so very important but seems underrated) talk to them often! As they begin to show interest in their nest box, the poop on the bottom, their toes, their siblings toes, etc. start offering small pieces of millet and steamed or cooked soft foods like peas, carrots, couscous. They will play with them at first, and will only eat it by accident, but this will help them be more accepting of different foods. If you give them millet by hand while they are in the nest box (after 3-4 weeks) it will also help them to remain unafraid of people and their hands. The idea is to make sure all their interaction with people and their hands are positive in nature.

Too much can go wrong when you try to handfeed formula to baby birds. I think regular attention and interaction is the better way to go.

Edited by Rainbow

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

I totally agree with Rainbow, you can't beat, fed by mother...it may even give them tummy troubles. Just do what Rainbow & others have said, handle them lots, even if you get a young bird just out of the nest that hasn't been handle much at all, they soon become very tame, so if you handle them every day when you have the time, I'm sure they will be as tame as you could get.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I agree totally with both Norm and Ann :P too much can go wrong and when you can handle them daily that is best.

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Michelle, I am with the rest. I wouldn't do it unless it was neccesary. Spending time with them and handling them daily will develop a good bond with them. My blue nest seems to look forward to play time, and the green girls, even though they squawk whenever I come into the room, quieten down as soon as I hold them.

Feathers.

• Member ID:  3,281
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  520

Thats what I have been doing. We take the babies out for a while everyday and when they get hungry we hand feed them all a good crop full of Formula. They love it and we seem to be letting the parents get a break. I don't do it more than once a day so the parents do most of the feeding but next to hand feeding them myself this is the next best thing. I also beleive that the formula that I buy is higher in vitamins minerals and protein than the seed mix and vegies my budgies are eating and feeding the babies. So It cant hurt. I think they will be more tame for it.