• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  55
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

I have given into my daughter and allowed to new feathery additions to my family. It has been over 30 years since I had any birds and well my 11 daughter had been nagging with backup from mum for a budgie for her 12 birthday. I gave in and 2 avian friends have been made welcome to my family. I know they are unlikley to talk but I would rather have a content budgie than a lonely one. I have bought a couple of books before getting the new arivals to the family, which has been a good source of revision for me. I had forgotten how much these small feathery bundles can add to a family so though I originally said no I am glad that we have these comical charecters.

I will add pictures later of 'Cheeky' albino Budgie and 'Nosher' a grey (same age differnet clutch). Both birds are about 14 weeks old according to my local (decent) pet supplier. that care about the animals that pass through thier hands and are pet owners themselves.The grey really named himself (Nosher) because that is all he does nosh. Both have a habit of going for food from the same hopper at the same time. This of course adds some rivalry to meal times but overall they get a fair share. Not content with this Nosher has developed a habit over the last few days. He steals food. Not from the hopper but from Cheeky. Nosher is using the reflex that chicks use for feeding from thier parents, so he is literally stealing food from Cheeky.

This is not covered in the books that I have, nore can I remember our birds from when I was a youngster sucessfully breeding budgies (at the time we have 40 breeding pairs, 2 Indian Ring Necks and 2 Austrailian Parakeets.). As it stands I do not think there is any real concern but I thought I would rather make sure than risk any harm to the birds as it not a light decision bringing them into the family.

So from the noisy 2 and myself Hello

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

The one is probably begging to be fed and the othe one is giving it food which is normal. He won't go hungry he will just eat more :D. So I don't think there is any cause for concern at this point.

Welcome to BBC, look forward to pictures and we have a great contest going for July Budgie of the Month so if you want you can enter your new additions in the contest too.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Welcome to you and your family. It sounds to me that you are doing a wonderful Job. Reading up and studying the behaviors of your two new friends.

The feeding is normal sometimes young one like to continue begging for food for a while after leaving the nest.

Do you know their genders for sure? Feel free to post some pictures of them, nice bright clear ones of the cere and we are normally correct in telling genders.

• Member ID:  3,523

Thank you for your welcome.

Also thank you for your advice it has been comforting to the family especially my daughter. I will try and get her to start an account and join in herself.

I should of said about their sex's when I asked sorry. Cheeky (the albino) is unclear as the Cere is blue at the top and brown at the bottom with lilac in between. Nosher is male with a solid blue cere.

Nosher is a klutz take yesterday evening.

Their cage is large enough for the two of them with a corner perch that has a larger hole than my fist and about 10 rungs up and 2 sections back is a main undulating perch. On the other side of their home (I do not like cage) there is another perch with a swing large enough for a parakeet that has a sand papered dowel in between.

Now that the scene is set here we go.

Cheeky did a double hop through the swing to the other long perch via the swing. Nosher thought he could go one better and not bother with the swing and make the journey in one hop. Needless to say he did not make it and with a chirp had to fly up just missing the bottom. So it was 1-0 to Cheeky.

Nosher was not happy and squawked in frustration. The corner perch caught 'his' eye. So down he reached and the perch was out of reach of his stretched open beak. Losing his balance reaching down a little flap recovered 'him' and his dignity was restored. Then he tried again and once a gain a small flap of his wings restored 'his' composure.

Not learning 'his' lesson from the other two goes he stretched out that little bit further and swung down. Missing the corner perch for a third time down 'he' continued until claws lost their grip. Mid fall there was this suppressed chirp from Nosher and Cheeky just burst into song as if laughing. Fortunately Nosher was not hurt and he went straight back to his favourite pass time. Eating!

We count our selves fortunate that we have two wonderful birds to enrich our lives.

:D

Edited by AlexB

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

-_- Nosher sounds like 'he' can entertain all day.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/index.php

have a look on the FAQ for pictures and information about cere colours.

The age of them will help when there are no pictures. But normally mixed colours on a cere tend to be females. Albino hen get the normal brown cere when older while the males keep the baby pink.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi , Welcome to the forums :(Laughing out loud):

can hardly wait to see pics of them .

Edited by birdluv

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Alex, welcome to the BBC forum. It sounds like you have a couple of lovely birds with great little characters. It would be great for your daughter to join in too as there is so much to learn about caring for a budgie and she might enjoy the interaction and seeing other peoples budgies too.

Feathers.

• Member ID:  3,523

Here are the 2 rascals as promised.

Nosher is guarding Cheeky which is farly normal for these two.

EDIT

NosherCheeky2.jpgCheekyandNosher.jpg

As promised more natural couloured images that really do capture these two loveable characters.

Edited by AlexB
Guest Phoebe
:wub: Thanks for the pictures, they are very pretty! My two foster(rescue) budgies cling together like that as well, they are to be adopted only as a couple as they are bonded, just as your two. Good idea to let your daughter get involved in the forum as well, we have several younger members and we carefully scrutinize every post for content. :ausb:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Nosher and Cheeky are gorgeous :blink:

• Member ID:  1,938
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,201
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,740

They are both very pretty :ausb:

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

they compliment each other nicely :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  3,450
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  54
  • Achievement Points:  465

Hi welcome to the forum. I too am fairly new here and have found this forum and its FAQ's to be an invaluble source of information. Lovely birds that you have too :wub:

Their cage is large enough for the two of them with a corner perch that has a larger hole than my fist and about 10 rungs up and 2 sections back is a main undulating perch. On the other side of their home (I do not like cage) there is another perch with a swing large enough for a parakeet that has a sand papered dowel in between.

I too used to do that until a couple of weeks agountil I read this http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/i...=136&artlang=en in the FAQ's. Hopefully the FAQ's will help you as much as they have me :)