• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Thought you might like to see my new cabinets I built using pine. I build them with a divider position in the middle in case I need to divided, for any reason, sometimes I use them to breed canaries & they don’t need such a big cage. Also I thought they might come in handy if I decided to try using one cock with a number of hens. I have a couple of cocks that seem to be infertile, I was going to get rid of them, then thought with that idea of using a good cock with more than one hen, maybe I could make use of them. I could run them with the hen, then confine them to one side & run the cock in that I want to mate with them, then return them to the hen, after to help feed the young, that I “hopefully” will get. :budgiedance:

newcab.jpg

I used cage fronts that are secured using those plastic things, that hold fly screens in place [don’t know their proper name sorry]. This enables me to remove them to clean out the cages when necessary. I was looking on here & I notice others were also looking for cage fronts, I eventually got mine from Chandlers [the ring people] from Sydney, I think they are just the middle people, don’t know if they make them themselves.

Edited by Norm

• Member ID:  3,278
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,130
  • Birthday:  02/10/1972

Thought you might like to see my new cabinets I built using pine. I build them with a divider position in the middle in case I need to divided, for any reason, sometimes I use them to breed canaries & they don’t need such a big cage. Also I thought they might come in handy if I decided to try using one cock with a number of hens. I have a couple of cocks that seem to be infertile, I was going to get rid of them, then thought with that idea of using a good cock with more than one hen, maybe I could make use of them. I could run them with the hen, then confine them to one side & run the cock in that I want to mate with them, then return them to the hen, after to help feed the young, that I “hopefully” will get. :budgiedance:

newcab.jpg

I used cage fronts that are secured using those plastic things, that hold fly screens in place [don’t know their proper name sorry]. This enables me to remove them to clean out the cages when necessary. I was looking on here & I notice others were also looking for cage fronts, I eventually got mine from Chandlers [the ring people] from Sydney, I think they are just the middle people, don’t know if they make them themselves.

Norm,

It will be interesting to see how you go with One COck to Two Hens, Not a bad idea when you think of it, but will it become too stressful on the Cock trying to bring up two clutches at once if the Hens both rear young at the same time.

Please let us know how you go.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Great job, Norm. :) I am in the middle of making some new breeder cages too, in a series of three across with slide out dividers too. Yours look great :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  3,495
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  925

Wayno,

as I read Norm's post, the biological father may not have to raise ANY of the chicks! He's got some cocks he suspects are infertile, but might make good "foster" fathers. The desired male gets to spend time with the ladies to produce fertile eggs (see Daz's post of Stan Richardson article An Unorthodox Breeding Method )

As I read Norm's post the infertile cocks get to go back with the hens to make themselves useful (feeding / raising chicks). It happens quite a bit in nature, cocks raising chicks that are not their own.

Cheers,

KathyW.

Edited by KathyW

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Yes that is how I read it as well Kathy.

Great looking cages and a neat idea with the clips (or what ever they are called) makes for great access to clean after breeding.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

excellent job :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Yes Kaz & KathyW, got it right, I hope the idea of the infertile cocks will work. I have sort of had it work, not exactly, but I had one of the infertile cocks with a hen & non of her eggs hatched, so I gave them a couple of foster chicks from another pair, then after the chicks were a few weeks old, I took the infertile cock away & substituted another cock, who after a few days helped her finish feeding the chicks & then got all her next batch [8 eggs] fertile. So switching can work, but maybe certain birds will be better than others. Hens seem pretty promiscuous, I read in an article that wild hens have been seen mating with several males, it’s quite common, as this gives the hen a much bigger genetic spread with her young, more chances of survival of her chicks. One of the infertile cocks I dearly want to get some young from, so if he scores some chicks it will be a bonus anyway.

Kaz most of my cabinet units are three also, but I built them for breeding canaries, so I can have three lots breeding, then remove the dividers in the non breeding season, so they can fly the full extent. But now that I am using them for Budgies, I thought the bigger [double unit] was better, so only made two, as then the other one unit wasn’t much use for breeding budgies.