Sign in to follow this  
Guest AAEBudgie

Bread For Birds?

Guest AAEBudgie

We had a breeder come to our budgie club last night and tell us that instead of soft food she feeds her budgies a quarter slice of Tip Top Nine Grain... I've heard that bread is no good for birds, and I spend a lot of time making them a very yummy (I think) soft food mix.... Does anyone have any opinions or information on bread?

Quite a few show breeders use bread as part of their soft food diet for birds...not a lot just a little. My birds get wholegrain bread made into a mush every now and then :)

I feed my breeders & young ones,grain bread.I put a loaf through the garden mulcher once a week & let it dry & feed it to them have done that for 3 years now.

Guest AAEBudgie

haha... loving the videos.. I take it you can't get your birds to eat bread then ;) I might try a little tip top in their cages...

I give my birds the crusts from my sandwich on the weekends. There is never any left over.

Guest Phoebe
:P:) Yup, they sure do hate bread!! I give my tiel's multigrain toast on the weekend but the budgies and lovies aren't particularly interested. We always tell people at the Wildlife Shelter not to give bread to wild birds in the winter as it swells up in their stomach (and there aren't bakers in the wild) but to give bread in this state is is a treat and supplement! :)

I've used bread to bribe my birds to take their medicine (soaked in worming solution). In a previous large aviary complete with a large concrete, rock-lined (fish) pond it was difficult if not impossible to safely cover the pond to make them drink their treated water (and treating the pond was out of the question). Strangely they seemed to prefer the worming solution soaked bread to the occasional dry crust and there was never any left. Go figure ...

KathyW.