• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  925
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi. I'm KathyW and I've been keeping and breeding birds, mostly budgies, as a hobby for over 35 years. I've also been using the 'net since '95 ... but never been a great fan of forums. So please bear with me as I have no idea what I'm supposed to do here yet :-)

Hoping I'm on the right track ... I'll forge ahead:

My first budgie was "George", but I've long since stopped naming them. Preferring to keep and breed my birds in large open flight aviaries, the main aim of my breeding program was to breed happy, healthy and hardy birds. Getting my birds to breed has never been a problem. Stopping them has been.

Uncontrolled flock breeding with a limited gene pool has had two other results - one unfortunate but predictable, the other a delightful surprise. My birds have not had the large size of "modern" birds, being closer to the wild budgie in size, stature and bearing. And a recessive pied strain started to emerge about 8 years ago and now over 90% of my birds are either full Danish Recessive Pieds or are carrying the gene.

I've been unable to breed them for the past two years due to a combination of factors not the least of which was building and moving to a new home (owner-builder) with new aviaries. The birds have been in small cages until mid summer this year when the aviaries were sufficiently finished/snake/mouse/dog-proofed to be safe. They have only just started breeding again.

My focus with their breeding has however modified over the past few years. The Pied strain is now very strong and I would like to improve the size of the birds, without losing the hardiness they have developed. My previous experience with the larger birds (I used to call them "meat birds") was not encouraging - they could not fly as easily and were not as active or hardy as the "smaller" birds. I hope in 30 years that has changed.

I guess that's what I'm doing here - trying to connect with other bird breeders and enthusiasts in a neutral and convenient environment. I have kept budgies for long enough to know I still have a LOT to learn.

I also keep and breed Gouldian Finches, have a pair of gorgeous clowns otherwise known as Varied Lorikeets, a one-legged Eastern Rosella (long story) and an odd assortment of King Quails. In the past I've kept Superb Blue Wrens, numerous finches, galahs, rosellas, crested pigeons and a cranky Little Corella. I've also had moderate success hand-rearing orphaned. rejected or injured babies (birds).

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Welcome Kathy Sounds like you have had a LOT of history with these delightful little birds.

I hope you like the place we all love to learn and share knowledge. We also LOVE pictures :P.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Welcome KathW to the forum. We have a broad spectrum of owners and breeders here. Some just have pet birds and enjoy the antics of them. Some breed as a hobbie and some breed for show.

We have those that breed in their bedrooms to those that have specially designed breeding rooms and flights.

I am glad you droped in and hope you feel welcomed.

My interest is in Spangles, Dominant pieds and Danish recessives.

You can read my back ground in my web site. Just click on my signature below.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

KathyW,If you would like to join a club.There is the Border Club.Address, RMB 1030,Wodonga 3691.

They meet the1st Sunday of the month.

Guest AAEBudgie

welcome :P We're relatively new to the budgie world... we've only been breeding for about 4 months now... But this forum is absolutely amazing and we look forward to picking your brain too :) You must have a lot of knowledge to share with everyone

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

You have come to the right forum :) Welcome aboard!!!

• Member ID:  3,348
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,980

hello and welcome.