Budgie About To Die?

Guest Anthony

Guest Anthony

Hi all,

I have had 'Winky' my blue bird for 12 years now, 2 days ago he has hit the wall while flying (we do not clip their wings). He has never done this but on the floor he hurt is foot, looked like it was nearly broken.

We went to the vet today and he said that it was just swollen and made him a makeshift cast for the leg and also clipped his nails as they were a little long.

Anyway we brought him home, and he was fine until make 15 minutes later when he nearly fell backwards off his perch. I propped him back up and he was fine for another 5 minutes.

He then fell off and was flapping around the bottom of his cage. He wasn't able to purch any more and was lying on his side. I held him and it seemed like he was fitting ferociously. Currently he is shivering and what looks like seisuring. He is frothing from the mouth as well and is not able to keep his legs in the normal position (they are stretched out while he is shaking).

He is on his last legs? I feel this is so because he has been falling off his purch for quite some time. But it looks like he may be on his last legs. I currently have him on my chest warm with a thin blanket over him to keep him warm.

Is there anything else I can do? Anything else you can suggest?

Thank you.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I am sorry you are having to go through this Anthony. It does seem like his last moments, doesnt it ? :) At the age of 12 years it seems he has had a very good life and the injury may have taklen its toll on him. You could try a run to the vets or you could just hold him close to your heart for a little while. You will know whats best to do right now, I am sure :angel1:

Guest Anthony
I am sorry you are having to go through this Anthony. It does seem like his last moments, doesnt it ? :) At the age of 12 years it seems he has had a very good life and the injury may have taklen its toll on him. You could try a run to the vets or you could just hold him close to your heart for a little while. You will know whats best to do right now, I am sure :angel1:

Thanks for your reply Kaz. I personally think another trip to the vet isn't a good idea considering his state. He may die either on the way due to shock or when we get there.

Is this how budgies generally die? Or do they normally fall off their perch and instantly die?

It's just terrible to see him suffer like this.

Thanks again.

• Member ID:  3,234
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  190

I'm so sorry to hear Winky is so sick, Anthony:( I'll pray for him and you, to get through this time. What a wonderful 12 years you've had together. I hope my little budgie lives to such a great age :)

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Anthony, He may have suffered a heart attack.I would put him in a box in the dark & let him go quietly.

Is this how budgies generally die? Or do they normally fall off their perch and instantly die?

Thanks again.

It's possible he suffered a head injury during his "crash" into the wall that was not detected. This can cause Fits like epilepsy. But it may just be his age and the trauma he has been through. Budgies usually poass away within half an hour when its at the end. Hopefully he wont suffer and if you hold him and keep him warm against your chest it will help. I understand the decision about the vets. Only you can dicide that. If he brightens up a bit, you may wish to get him checked over again. Best of luck. BIG HUGS :angel1:

Guest Anthony

Thanks again.

It's possible he suffered a head injury during his "crash" into the wall that was not detected. This can cause Fits like epilepsy. But it may just be his age and the trauma he has been through. Budgies usually poass away within half an hour when its at the end. Hopefully he wont suffer and if you hold him and keep him warm against your chest it will help. I understand the decision about the vets. Only you can dicide that. If he brightens up a bit, you may wish to get him checked over again. Best of luck. BIG HUGS :angel1:

Thanks all.

It has been about an hour and a half he has been doing this :). Thats why i'm worried. He hasn't gotten any better.

Thanks for your kind words all, much appreciated.

• Member ID:  2,155
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  1,162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  7,840

unfortunately birds will fight till the end, so there's no 'quiet end'. birds will usually live the world with a 'last fight', and then that's the end. :) so sad. I'm very sorry that your little Winky is going through this, and you have to go through this as well. :) I recently lost a precious one due to head injury, and I really hated the time right before he died as he was seizing and fitting a lot. :( I'll thinking of both you and your little Winky.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.24
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Please let us know what happened :( 12 yrs is a wonderful life and everyone has given you excellent advice I wish I was on last night but your morning is my night.

Pretty was not even 2 when he passed away. It started as being fluffied up, the he couldn't perch and he layed on his side. I had him in a small cage with a towel on it with it covered. Pretty was tame so I picked him up and help him in my hand as he passed away to birdie heaven.

The best thing you can do for a bird is to cover it and let it lay on the towel and keep it covered in the dark. It will feel safe (we hope) in it's last moments.

I am sadden for you and hope you are okay.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Perhaps you could call the vet and ask them about it.

• Member ID:  3,348
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,980

good luck. I hope he survives but if he doesnt 12 years is a great life for a budgie.

• Member ID:  3,447
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  165

how's winky doing? ;)

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Yes sad news, but it happens to everything, including us one day…12 years that a really great achievement…I think there was nothing you could have done, better than what you have. I’m pretty sure at that age, hitting the wall was a part of the problem in the first place, as you said he never did it before. I think he hit the wall because something was wrong. It didn’t help I’m sure, but I don’t think it caused his problems.

We have opened a new topic under In Memorium for Winky :D:wub: