Davegf28

Fith Egg 1 Day Late Is There Any Reason Why?

I thought that she was done at four eggs on the 5th because on the 7th there were still only four eggs. I candled them and all four are good even the fourth one had a vein showing. Anyway today at about 5:00 pm which is the time she layed all the other eggs, she layed another egg. That is five total now and maybe more coming? Is it normal for them to skip two days instead of one? Also one of the eggs is twice the size as the others. It was the first or second egg layed. Is it normal for egg size to vary? Thanks Dave

Hi Dave, Last year I had a hen that laid every three days on her first round then the second round was normal every other day.

But I have had hens lay like you said every other then a 4 day difference, don't know why either but they all hatched.Yes I do have some hens that when they lay some eggs are bigger than other and they all seem to hatch.

But at the moment I have this one hen who is a bit on the buff side and all her eggs are huge but this year she had one egg really an odd shape so I took note of it for my records but the egg was no good any way because it had a little hole in it. I think she knew it was a bad egg and what ever and put a hole in it.

It looked like it got stuck half way coming out of her, that's how badly it was distorted.

Any way I hope this helps, Yes she could also lay more eggs yet.

Cheers Julie :blush:

sometimes maiden hens (first time breeding) can skip a day in the cycle. Other times it's is becuase they have had trouble passing the egg. A sudden drop in temperature (like has happened in my area) can cause some issues with egg laying. Keep an eye on her for the next few days.