Help Needed-i Have A Baby Budgie Abandoned By Mum

Guest Sandy

Guest Sandy

Hello everyone. One of our budgies hatched four eggs between one a half weeks and two weeks ago. The youngest was being pushed aside and was considerably smaller than the rest. When the youngest was nearly a week old he/she did not look much larger than when born. I took him/her out and have kept him inside and hand fed since.

This is my first attempt at breeding and I don't know what is usual. When I brought the baby inside he looked like his crop was stuffed with seed. This took a couple of days to pass and then I guess his crop looked normal but would only go down at night.

Yesterday his crop did not seem to reduce in size at all, and this morning it is still full. Would he have a bowl blokage? If so, is there anything I can give him? Should I feed him some water? Do I continue to feed him the formula and hope it will pass?

Any suggestions? :budgiedance:

Guest stacey1
Hello everyone. One of our budgies hatched four eggs between one a half weeks and two weeks ago. The youngest was being pushed aside and was considerably smaller than the rest. When the youngest was nearly a week old he/she did not look much larger than when born. I took him/her out and have kept him inside and hand fed since.

This is my first attempt at breeding and I don't know what is usual. When I brought the baby inside he looked like his crop was stuffed with seed. This took a couple of days to pass and then I guess his crop looked normal but would only go down at night.

Yesterday his crop did not seem to reduce in size at all, and this morning it is still full. Would he have a bowl blokage? If so, is there anything I can give him? Should I feed him some water? Do I continue to feed him the formula and hope it will pass?

Any suggestions? :budgiedance:

hi sandy, dose he have pooh caked around his bottom? if so put some droplets of warm water around that erea when you think it is soft enough gently take it off (finger nails work best). also if his crop had food in when you took it out of the box then the mum was feeding him. hope this helps. stacey

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

He may have crop problems...sour crop or something like that if his crop isnt working well. Try a drop of pineapple juice or pure raspberry cordial in with his next feed. It may help. Sometimes the rejected ones are rejected for a reason. I have tried with some like that and in the end problems become evident. But I still try as you are. I have saved a few that way. You dont give up until they do :budgiedance:

Best of luck

Edited by Kaz

• Member ID:  2,384
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,172
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  7,460
  • Birthday:  25/08/1981

Make sure the formula you are feeding the baby is runny enough- if not this can cause major problems like you have got. What formula are you using?

Give the baby a feed of very very runny formula or even flat lemonade and massage his crop very gently all over and try to loosen the impaction. This can sometimes help clear and loosen up his crop. Have you handraised before?

Good luck.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

update? :)

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

Give the baby a feed of very very runny formula or even flat lemonade and massage his crop very gently all over and try to loosen the impaction. This can sometimes help clear and loosen up his crop. Have you handraised before?

Good luck.

Crop massage is very tricky and needs to be done carefully as it is very easy to aspirate the baby in the process. You need to make ABSOLUTE sure that the crop is NOT pushed up while massaging as this will cause the chick to aspirate the food which can result in aspiration pneumonia or immediate death.

GOOD LUCK :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sandy

Hello, thank you all for your tips. The little guy did not survive. We do however still have three healthy babies.

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Hello, thank you all for your tips. The little guy did not survive. We do however still have three healthy babies.

Sorry for your loss :angel1:

I am guessing that is why mum left it - they have this sixth sense about their young

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

((hugs)) on the loss and I am glad the other 3 are healthy and doing well.

• 12 years later...

• Member ID:  8,887
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  20

Hello, out of 6 eggs, 2 have hatched this morning. I gave found them in the box freezing cold and stiff, I was able to revive one baby but not the other. I have given the baby very runny formula and put it back in the box with mumma budgie but I don't think she is helping the baby. What should I do ? Hand raise it ? If so, how ? Please help.