David

Guest ellulah

Guest ellulah

I picked David up from the RSPCA yesterday. He was going to be up for adoption to the public, but I thought he needed a bit more care than a simple 'pet' budgie so I brought him home with me. He has very bad feet, they don't open so he has to balance on perches. As a result he has sores that will need constant care, he is also under weight... i hope to get him nice and healthy, and keep him happy for the rest of his retirement, however long that may be.

Here he is do a balancing act on the perch (i am in the process of making some perches that won't hurt his little feet!)

David.jpg

I will get some more photos once he has settled in. :blush:

Edited by ellulah

• Member ID:  3,296
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  465
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Aww! He looks like he needs a hug! Bless you for being so caring! Best of luck with him! :angel1:

• Member ID:  3,317
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  845

Go bless you and David. He will now finish his life in a loving enviroment.

• Member ID:  2,952
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

He is absolutely beautiful and looks like a bit of a character.

What a wonderful thing you did,making sure he had a nice home.I don't think I would have been able to resist him either.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I spotted him on their lost birds page and thought something looked a bit wrong with him. Glad he's got a wonderful home to live in now. :D

• Member ID:  2,561
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,235
  • Birthday:  29/06/1979

He really looks like a little old man. Very destinguished though :D He's lucky to have you :(

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

glad you rescued him is does he look that way because of the way he perches or is he fluffed up? He is very pretty, are you sure a he if his cere is during brown though? He looks like a dominant pied and in that case I am going to say you have a female not a male because his cere would be blue. :rip:

Guest ellulah

The middle of his nostrils are still blue, around them is pinkish brown (like a recessive pied boy). He fluffs up when he sits, he is certainly not 100% healthy. He is eating alot! He loves french white millet. :rip:

Guest Phoebe

:rip: That's great! And after he has had his fill of millet, let's get him on some vegetables and other stuff, you will have him back to ideal weight in no time at all. :(

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Could we have some other photos of him ? He looks like he may be a double factor dominant pied to me. which could account for his funny coloured cere.

The middle of his nostrils are still blue, around them is pinkish brown (like a recessive pied boy). He fluffs up when he sits, he is certainly not 100% healthy. He is eating alot! He loves french white millet. :rip:

Gotcha :(

Guest ellulah
Could we have some other photos of him ? He looks like he may be a double factor dominant pied to me. which could account for his funny coloured cere.

Camera battery is flat atm, I will take some more once it is charged. He is either a heavily expressed Clearflight Pied (like your custard) or a DF Dom Pied. He has iris rings. Can a DF Dom pied have uneven coloured nostrils? Perhaps he is not as old as I thought he was!

That's great! And after he has had his fill of millet, let's get him on some vegetables and other stuff, you will have him back to ideal weight in no time at all.

He won't know what do do with all the different food he will be getting! I plan on spoiling him... :o I don't think he has had a very easy life up to know and I hope to change that.

Camera battery is flat atm, I will take some more once it is charged. He is either a heavily expressed Clearflight Pied (like your custard) or a DF Dom Pied. He has iris rings. Can a DF Dom pied have uneven coloured nostrils? Perhaps he is not as old as I thought he was!

That's great! And after he has had his fill of millet, let's get him on some vegetables and other stuff, you will have him back to ideal weight in no time at all.

He won't know what do do with all the different food he will be getting! I plan on spoiling him... :o I don't think he has had a very easy life up to know and I hope to change that.

Double factor dominant pieds often have ambiguous cere with parts of both colours on it and they do have iris rings. Some even have one iris ring on one eye and none on the other. The reason I think he may be double factor dom pied is due to the cere colour and the photos seems to show him with a lot of white. I am almost sure he is DF dom pied. A photo will help. His funny feet seem to be result of lack of calcium to the parents when he was hatched.

He sits hunched up so not in brilliant health. Keep an eye on his weight. Has he been wormed ? If not, may be a good idea.

Edited by Kaz
Guest ellulah

He is underweight, I don't know his exact weight yet as I didn't want to stress him out by handling him too much (he isn't tame). I think I will have to bite the bullet and just weight him and worm him all in one sitting...

If his feet are a nest problem he may well be quite young! His nails (which would not get any wear the way he sits) are the perfect healthy length, not overgrown at all!

He is underweight, I don't know his exact weight yet as I didn't want to stress him out by handling him too much (he isn't tame). I think I will have to bite the bullet and just weight him and worm him all in one sitting...

If his feet are a nest problem he may well be quite young! His nails (which would not get any wear the way he sits) are the perfect healthy length, not overgrown at all!

I dont think he is too young as he has iris rings so that makes him over 5 months. Is he a good size ? He seems to be. The feet are a result of lack of calcium from parents to chicks in the nest and as it wasnt sorted out at the time, he has it for life. I have had a few like that due to parents not processing the calcium properly.

When you catch him up. hold him close to your chest for awhile and calm him. Let him hear your heartbeat and talk soothingly to him before you do anything else. Some birds like him with "issues" can get very stressed by being caught...so catch quickly, but take the time to sooth and calm him. Do everything gently and all should be okay.

Guest ellulah

I just weighed him, not good. He is 33g he should be atleast 40-45g! I will worm him once i've measured out the right amount.

Is he a good size ?

Bigger than a pet budgie, probably about 8inches from top of his head to tip of his tail.

I just weighed him, not good. He is 33g he should be atleast 40-45g! I will worm him once i've measured out the right amount.

Is he a good size ?

Bigger than a pet budgie, probably about 8inches from top of his head to tip of his tail.

All the DF dom pieds I have had have been long birds :o

Guest ellulah

Here are some more photos. Both eyes have iris rings.

David1.jpg

David2.jpg

David4.jpg

This one shows hie cere:

David3.jpg

All the DF dom pieds I have had have been long birds

My other DF Dom Pied (Kricket) was quite long too, she was a gorgeous bird.

He is definitely a Double Factor Dominant Pied and that too explains his cere colour :o

Guest Phoebe
:o Poor sweet guy! Do the best you can with him, give him lots of food and love, he sort of reminds me of an English Budgie that a former bird supplier (mostly bird food, actually GOOD food ) asked me to take off his hands. Poor Lucky only lasted a couple of months, I fear your guy may have the same congenital anomalies but I hope not, let us be aware. He sure is pretty. :(

• Member ID:  2,952
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

I love the blue on his back between his wings.He is so adorable.

It is hard to tell a budgies age he could be just unwell and have abnormalities as Pheobe suggested. Have you taken him to an avian vet? This is where I would start personally myself. :o