• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

Oh my gosh Shawna,that photo is amazing.Your son is amazing,there is no way I could lay there still.I had a mri scan recently and they had to give me something to relax as I couldn't lay still I was so nervous.

Will be praying and thinking of your son and family,hoping for a speedy recovery and a long life ahead.Sending you ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))).

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

:D What a brave little boy.. Geez there is no way i would be able to lay still enough in that cast, Its so wonderful that he can and maybe wont have to be sedated for the treatments..

Sad to hear about your birds but its for the best and they i'm sure know that, its a positive that they are staying with family and people who know how special the little guys are to you..

Hugs to you all

Una

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

oh hugs Shawna

Lucas is SO brave, give him a big hug from us

Keep us updated on everything

Is your mom taking some of your birds?

You are a brave mom and Happy Mom's Day coming up to you.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Lucas is so brave and strong, and so are you. *hugs*

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Shawna, what a little champion being able to stay still for his treatments. Have an absolutely fantastic Mothers day. I will be sending lots of luv and positive thoughts to you all on Monday. Keep strong.

*much luv*

Aly

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Shawna, my thoughts, prayers, and tears are with you, Lucas, and everyone in your family affected by this. I'm so glad Lucas is getting stronger and his outlook is better as the days pass. You have some difficult times coming up...try to be strong. I'm sure I can speak for everyone and tell you please know all of us are behind you and keeping you and yours in mind so much.

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: What a cooperative little man Lucas is, good vibes still being sent your way guy, you are doing so very well Lucas, your Mom is so proud of you! (And we are too!) :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Thanks everyone... and Happy Mother's Day. It means so much to me this year. We had a special service in church today and I absolutely fell apart. The more I tried not to cry the worse I sobbed. I think I'm anxious about tomorrow, have held so much in, etc. that when I started to cry the floodgates opened. I guess church is a good place to do it. Everyone was very supportive. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement from you all too.

((hugs)) sweetie and yes that is the perfect place to break down

We are not perfect we are human and we are so strong inside for our loved ones that we forget about ourselves.

You are a wonderful Mom and Happy Mom's Day!

Well Lucas finished his first week of radiation. He did very well. He is so good at staying still in his cast that we are usually done within 15 minutes. So far he is showing no real negative side effects other than being tired about 2 hours after the treatment. He has a little rest and then is good to go.

We have been discharged from the hospital. Next week we will stay at Ronald McDonald House. It is a long weekend for us so we don't go back until Tuesday. He has his first chemo treatment that day (vincristine) in addition to his radiation.

Here are a few pics of him at the hopsital having some fun. They have a playroom on each floor and on this day the fireman visited. He was being shown a heat seeking camera.

IMG_0309Custom-1.jpg

And this is buddy the clown who visits the rooms of kids. He does magic. Lucas had fun with him. Lucas wears the helmet to protect his head as he is still somewhat unsteady.

IMG_0359Custom.jpg

Shawna, I am so pleased that Lucas is doing so well with his treatments. What a great little boy you have there. All my love and positive vibes coming at you for your journey into chemo. Stay strong, you have a beautiful little boy who is doing so very well. My love to you all.

Aly

• Member ID:  2,952

Glad to hear things are going as well as they can.Your boy is such a brave soul.Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way for a speedy recovery.Hugs to you all and good luck on tuesday.

Shawna he is so handsome, I was thinking about you 2, I am glad you were able to come in and update. Your so brave Lucas hats off to you!!!

• Member ID:  2,477
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  510

Wonderful to hear the good news Shawna.

my prayer that the Lord will continue the work He started in leading Lucas to the full recovery and for you and the family to have the peace and comfort during this journey knowing that His hands are with you to walk you through it.

My love and prayers

<<HUGS>>

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

This is all very encouraging news to hear Shawna. And to see Lucas smiling and happy is just wonderful :D All my love and biggest hugs Kaz :wub:

• Member ID:  2,477
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  510

Any update about Lucas, hope we hear good news.

Thinking of you.

Shawna is doing really well coping with this catastrophic event in their lives. I'm sure she is aware that we all care for her so much, and we are behind her 100% with our thoughts and prayers for Lucas and the whole family. I am sure she will continue to update us as and when she can and, as keen as well all are to hear what is happening and pass on our love, I think we should wait for her to give us these updates.

Feathers

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Answering, to let you know how inspiring you are in you care and devotion to your son. How you give up everything for your little boy (even your budgies) shows us how much you love, cherish and care for him and that is really important. That love is what is adding the speed to his recovery.

And I wish you Lucas and your family well in these difficult times.

Hi everyone. Another week of radiation treatments over with. Lucas is still doing well coping with it all and so far no major side effects. The other day he said he didn't want to have his treatment but he never puts up a fuss. I know he'd rather being doing normal little boy things. His biggest complaint is about his g-tube. The skind around it is easily irritated.

He had his first vincristine (chemo) on Monday. He was terrified to have his port accessed but child-life helped him through it. It had been numbed with emla cream so he really didn't feel anything. He has a fear of needles.

We decided to travel to Halifax for his treatments instead of staying at RMcD house. We live about an hour away and just found that we are so much happier at home. If Lucas gets too sick for travel then we will stay in the city, but so far we are ALL much happier at home. It is much easier to keep a routine at home and Lucas really needs that.

His walking is now back to normal and physio will only be keeping an eye on him because of potential side effects from the vincristine. So the old Lucas is almost back. The biggest change I see in him is in his personality. He lacks the patience he used to have. He gets frustrated easily.

My most recent challenge has been with my employer. They have an insurance company review all stress claims and the insurance company denied mine. They said that it is "sad" but doesn't qualify for stress leave. I can't imagine anything more stressful that when your child has a life threatening illnes. Agh. Anyway, I appealed it and just got the call that it was approved until June 8 at which time it will be reviewed. My husband's company has been fantastic giving him whatever time he needs. Even my mother's company has been supportive with her bosses giving her $ and her union giving her a huge check for travel back and forth to the hospital.

Thanks again everyone for your concern. I REALLY do appreciate it!

PS. I really miss the budgies. It is so quiet around here. I've been trying to enjoy the finches that visit my feeders daily but it isn't the same.

Edited by Shawna

• Member ID:  2,952

I'm so glad that everything is going okay for you.I think its great that you can stay at home for Lucas and for yourself aswell.I hope that your job hassles stay away from now,I also can't imagine a greater reason for leave.Stay strong and know that there are angels watching you from everywhere.My thoughts and prayers are with you and thanks for the update.

Sending ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

• Member ID:  3,348
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,980

thats great.

Shawna, I am glad he has gotten through this week well and coped okay with his first lot of chemo, thank goodness for emla cream. I am especially pleased about his improvement in walking, he will be feeling so much better for it, so I hope the vincristine doesn't knock him about too much.

I'm sure the support staff would have warned you about his ever changing moods going through this. Personally I think it is a positive that he has the strength of emotion to be getting frustrated, so hang in there. Your beautiful brave Lucas is just fighting the 'enemy' the best way he knows how.

As for your work situation I think it is criminal that you had to appeal such a decision, but having dealt with an ongoing insurance claim for 5 years now, it doesn't surprise me.

Lots of love, positive healing energy and prayers for you, Lucas and the whole family are continuing to come your way, Shawna.

*hugz*

Aly

I am glad Lucas is being such a brave boy (big hugs and kisses from us)

It is nice to have supportive employeers like your mom and husband have and then there are those that are not as favorable but I am glad they did approve up until the 8th. You are an amazing mom Shawna, keep strong and remember it is always okay to break down here and there.

Guest Phoebe
:D Hi Shawna, I haven't been on the forum much the last couple of weeks due to illness and other issues but I briefly check at work almost every day to see how Lucas was doing, it sounds like all is going well, he is a trouper and is just awesome and so is his Mom. :)

:) Hi Shawna, I haven't been on the forum much the last couple of weeks due to illness and other issues but I briefly check at work almost every day to see how Lucas was doing, it sounds like all is going well, he is a trouper and is just awesome and so is his Mom. :sad:

Phoebe, I hope you are feeling better now.

We started Phase II of Lucas' radiation treatments today. They are no longer treating the whole head and spine. Now they are treating the back of the head and the tumour bed. It was a long appointment but he was so good. It wasn't until the last picture that he started getting restless. We had a brief discussion with his radiation oncologist after and he is very pleased with how Lucas' treatments are going. I'm really optimistic now that this treatment protocol will be successful.

We have had to start feeding him through the tube as he is losing weight. His appetite is very minimal right now. He doesn't seem to mind the tube feeds now that things have healed.

This weekend is our IWK telethon. Every year the hospital raises millions of dollars this way. Lucas will be making a presentation of a check from his school on the air on Sunday morning. He seems pretty excited about doing it. It means an extra trip in this week but we want to do it in support of this hospital. He was born there as a 28 week preemie, was treated for Kawasaki Disease there, and now is being treated for his cancer there. We owe them so much!!!!

I'll try to get some pics of him doing the presentation and post them. Have a great week everyone.