• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  750
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  14/09/1978

I have been trying to get my budgies and teils to eat vegies with no luck, even the babies dont cause the parents arent. At least they will eat some pellets I guess.

Today I was out in the garden and thought what the hey ill pick the grasses that are growing from the seed i throw out there,I also picked some dandelion. Well low and behold they werent on the (clean) floor of the cage more then 5 seconds and in all cages all birds were on the floor digging in and going crazy. Do you guys reckon that form of greens will do it they wont touch anything else. :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Its a good start Kerrie. :) The thing is a lot of budgies start out not eating vegies. Its all down to perseverance on your part, to keep offering the vegies until the day ( just like the grasses )...they get down and eat it !! :)

Can be alot to do with food preparation and timing as well.

Parents eat or try new vegies when they have babies.

They eat vegies if perhaps you fine slice and grate.

They eat vegies if you sprinkle food they do eat, like seeds, throught the plate of vegies.

Try firstly with easy stuff.........finesliced bokchoy or pak choy with some sprinkled seed through it. Its green...will remind them of the grasses and they should try it. Next time add some grated carrot as well and sprinkle some seed over the top. Mine go crazy over sweetcorn, so you can add that in the form of full cobs of corn or defrosted frozen sweetcorn kernels.

Offer it on a large flat tray.

Once one budgie starts they all will. Then you just keep trying different things with them. Pretty soon, they'll be looking for it.

Also if you offer the vegies at a time of day they are feeding and hungry....for mine here in Perth W.A.....its around 4 or 4:30 pm in the evening or around 7am in the morning.

See how you go.

Cheers Karen

• Member ID:  2,384
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,172
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  7,460
  • Birthday:  25/08/1981

They can also like certain colours- grass seems to be that certain colour!! To get mine to start eating vegies I would feed grass as they loved it, then move the grass to a dish in a certain spot, then sprinkle some corn kernals (tinned/frozen) over the grass. You can use grated capsicum, carrot or whatever mine just LOVE corn!!. Keep it consistent til they try it. Once they do and understand what the tray means they usually try anything.

Mine now get into anything I put out there.

• Member ID:  2,365
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  374
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,845
  • Birthday:  29/10/1955

Its a good start Kerrie. :budgiedance: The thing is a lot of budgies start out not eating vegies. Its all down to perseverance on your part, to keep offering the vegies until the day ( just like the grasses )...they get down and eat it !! :angry:

Can be alot to do with food preparation and timing as well.

Parents eat or try new vegies when they have babies.

They eat vegies if perhaps you fine slice and grate.

They eat vegies if you sprinkle food they do eat, like seeds, throught the plate of vegies.

Try firstly with easy stuff.........finesliced bokchoy or pak choy with some sprinkled seed through it. Its green...will remind them of the grasses and they should try it. Next time add some grated carrot as well and sprinkle some seed over the top. Mine go crazy over sweetcorn, so you can add that in the form of full cobs of corn or defrosted frozen sweetcorn kernels.

Offer it on a large flat tray.

Once one budgie starts they all will. Then you just keep trying different things with them. Pretty soon, they'll be looking for it.

Also if you offer the vegies at a time of day they are feeding and hungry....for mine here in Perth W.A.....its around 4 or 4:30 pm in the evening or around 7am in the morning.

See how you go.

Cheers Karen

Thats great advice Karen........and I know how your budgies love their veges.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

one thing too is always offer it to them daily when you are working on getting them to eat new stuff. I remember with Pretty I used to chop it and it would even get mushy because of certain fruits but when I stopped doing that I had to start again because they he wouldn't touch it. He was very picky in that realm loved his seed and millet. I offer daily to Merlin :budgiedance:. It took me 3 months to get them to even start to taste so you are on a good start. Offer different colors too mine didn't like carrots because it was orange but would eat anything green under the sun.