• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Poor little Oz seems to be a bit sick. I started noticed some unusual poops in the cage about 2 days ago so yesterday i separated Ozzie into another cage and have been watching him. This morning he's done nothing but unusual poops, so it's been him that's the sick one because in the big cage with Blinkie all poops are normal. I've also been weighing him. At the weekend he was 46-47g, yesterday he was 44-45g and today he's 41-42g. So it's steadily going down which in a budgie who likes to eat as much as Ozzie is really worrying. I'm waiting for dad to get out of bed so that he can tell me when he's got meetings today and when he can take me and Oz to the vet. He's still active enough, he's hating being in the little cage and is doing lots of pacing and jumping around. I'll keep you all updated, let's hope he's alright.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Gosh Bea, I hope he'll be okay. Keep us posted.

• Member ID:  860

He's got a 4:30pm vet appointment. This is going to use up the last cent from my bank account, just for the consultation. Dad'll have to pay the rest. The symptoms make me think of what ever he had when he got sick 2 weeks after i got him, that was treated with an injection of some kind and medication for a week.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Oh Bea, I am sorry Ozzie seems ill. Can you think of anything he would have been exposed to? It most likely would have come in from outside the house, don't you think? It is great that you can take him to the vet same-day! Sometimes that is very hard to negotiate, especially if you take him to a busy practice. I hope it is not a serious illness.

Let us know what the vet said as soon as you get back home!

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

hugs sweetie, I remember he was sick when you got him to a couple days later. I do hope he is okay, I wonder if this is something that is laying dorminant in him and come with stress? Do you feel he has been stress by the tiels or maybe the new babies (has he seen them?)

I was thinking that moving to a new cage may have been stressful. Or it could have been that he found being in his cage on my bed in the same room as the tiels and breeders stressful while the new cage was set up? Who knows.

My vet is really good about seeing you on the same day if you say you have a sick bird. They're very aware that a lot of the time people don't notice till it's almost too late so want to see any bird showing symptoms of illness ASAP, they have appointments blocked out that can't be booked till on the day so they can fit people in. :P

Ozzie's still whinging about being confined. Jumping about and chirping at me. He's eaten and drunk, but still isn't pooing normally. We'll just have to see what the vet says.

Guest Phoebe
:P Very upsetting to hear about Ozzie not feeling good, hope he makes out okay at the vets' and I am positive that he will :ygbudgie:

Vet says he's got psittacosis, poor baby. I didn't even notice till we were at the vets but he's barely touched his food today. :budgiedance: He got an injection at the vet and Baytrill to go in his water for 5 days. We have to go back to the vet in one week to see if the meds are working. If they are i think i have to continue them longer, if not then we have to find something else. No treatment for any of the other indoor birds just yet, he says it's so common for it to be carried in birds that he doesn't usually treat unless they're showing symptoms. So i have to watch all the inside birds carefully. Ozzie's in Tim's room for now, and will potentially be in there for a month depending on how long i have to treat Ozzie. I tried to tempt him with millet, and at first he dug in, but he quickly lost interest. Now he has his seed, pellets, millet and a piece of carrot to hopefully lure him into eating. I hope he gets better. :(

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

:( Oh Bea.. After being away from the forums for so long i'm wandering about trying to catch up a little, this is a sad topic and i hope that your little man gets well soon.. It's good that you got him to the vets and that hes now being medicated.. as soon as i started reading your post my mind also wandered back to just after you had first bought him home and he got sick.. it felt like his quarantine was never going to end :(Laughing out loud):

All my best to you and your little guy

Oh Apple said to say "Watcha dewin?" :budgiedance:

Aww, tell Apple thanks. :budgiedance: I think the stress of the car ride and needle was a bit too much for my little man. He's sleeping right now. I wish he'd eat something, it's really make me relax a bit more. *sigh*

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Vet says he's got psittacosis, poor baby. I didn't even notice till we were at the vets but he's barely touched his food today. :budgiedance: He got an injection at the vet and Baytrill to go in his water for 5 days. We have to go back to the vet in one week to see if the meds are working. If they are i think i have to continue them longer, if not then we have to find something else. No treatment for any of the other indoor birds just yet, he says it's so common for it to be carried in birds that he doesn't usually treat unless they're showing symptoms. So i have to watch all the inside birds carefully. Ozzie's in Tim's room for now, and will potentially be in there for a month depending on how long i have to treat Ozzie. I tried to tempt him with millet, and at first he dug in, but he quickly lost interest. Now he has his seed, pellets, millet and a piece of carrot to hopefully lure him into eating. I hope he gets better. :(

Psittacosis ? We had that go through Ken's aviary and its quite serious. I also caught psittacosis from the birds and was very , very ill with it. Very unusual to treat only one bird. Usual to treat ALL birds with doxycycline considering how contagious and serious it is Bea. The treatment for psittacosis is a 6 week treatment with doxyclycline in the water for all birds you have at the time. Also, no vegies during the time on the doxycycline as they must have no other source of water.

http://z14.invisionfree.com/Metro_Club/ind...view=getnewpost

Edited by Bubbles

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Information on the desease This might help you understand the illness.

More reading

...and some more

Hope this helps Bea

Edited by Daz

Psittacosis ? We had that go through Ken's aviary and its quite serious. I also caught psittacosis from the birds and was very , very ill with it. Very unusual to treat only one bird. Usual to treat ALL birds with doxycycline considering how contagious and serious it is Bea. The treatment for psittacosis is a 6 week treatment with doxyclycline in the water for all birds you have at the time. Also, no vegies during the time on the doxycycline as they must have no other source of water.

http://z14.invisionfree.com/Metro_Club/ind...view=getnewpost

Hmm, well i was told it's EXTREMELY unusual for humans to catch it off their birds. I specifically asked about treating the other indoor birds and he said that we could go crazy treating everyone and he would love to spend my money but that as so many carry the disease that unless they're actually showing it that treatment does very little...

And the treatment definitely isn't doxycycline, it's Baytrill, and i wasn't given any instructions not to feed veggies either. :budgiedance: This guy is a trained avian vet and i would rather not do anything he's not instructed me to do. I'm seeing him again in a week and will ask again about treating the flock as a precaution.

Information on the desease This might help you understand the illness.

More reading

...and some more

Hope this helps Bea

Thanks Daz. I actually jumped on the computer first thing when i got home and read up on it, i read the last page you posted already and the other two pretty much said the same. The vet also gave me a fact sheet on it. :(

I am worried for you and Ozzie Bea. If psittacosis...the treatment Ozzie is on sounds like he is treating only side effects...i.e. any infections. Baytril is a normal antibiotic where doxycycline for 45 days is the recomended treatment.

Please do some research.

Psittacosis is highly transferable to humans. It is rare to pass it from human to human but you CAN get it from your birds. The first thing my avian vet asked me, when he diagnosed psittacosis for our birds was....was I having any unusual symptoms and I was. Tests revealed I had psittacosis and was on doxycycline myself.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/psittacosis.html

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/diseases/psitta_facts.htm

http://www.avianweb.com/psittacosis.html

Psittacosis

by Dr. Rob Marshall

After consulting with you, looking at your bird and from the tests I have taken, your bird has been diagnosed with Psittacosis. I have performed a Psittacosis test that has returned positive using a special ELISA test. When this test returns a weak positive result I like to confirm the accuracy. This is achieved by culture testing the throat and droppings. This culture test takes up to 24 hours to process. Please phone me for the results tomorrow evening. I will, however, begin a Psittacosis treatment immediately as a wise precaution.

What is Psittacosis?

Psittacosis is a serious infection of birds and humans which is caused by a virus-like bacteria called Chlamydia psittaci. Veterinarians call the disease Chlamydiosis and doctors call it Psittacosis. I will call it Psittacosis to avoid confusion. Most birds have been exposed to or may carry a disease but in this state it does not cause any problems and they are not contagious. However, Psittacosis may become highly contagious (it is spread by the air or by the droppings) from bird to bird and even from bird to human when stressful conditions arise. Stressful conditions for the bird may be anything which upsets the bird’s normal routine such as overcrowding, poor food quality, fungal and viral infections, a new home and so on.

So why has your bird got this problem? Either it has been under stress or exposed to high levels of the Psittacosis germ. We must understand exactly how and why your bird has got this disease in order to prevent reinfection after the treatment programme has been completed. Unfortunately, birds do not develop immunity to this very serious illness.

How is Psittacosis treated?

Psittacosis is a life threatening disease and the treatment programme includes an initial injection of Chlamydia treatment (doxycycline) which renders the bird non contagious within two days. Your ill bird must be hospitalised if it is not eating and crop fed until it is well enough to go home. Birds that are eating well are best treated as outpatients receiving a weekly injection or by medicating the drinking water or a soft food.

The complete treatment takes six weeks. It is a very long course of treatment because the germ lives inside the cell for up to 45 days and the medicine must wait until the germ leaves the cell before it can be fully effective. Of course the treatment will not be effective if the bird does not drink enough of the medicine so you must check the water intake daily. Often the weekly injection course is the best avenue to follow. The germ in the cage or aviary must be killed at the same time as the germ in the bird to prevent reinfection. This is achieved by disinfecting with an appropriate cage cleaner today then once weekly for the six week Chlamydia treatment course.

Are there any other special instructions?

If the medication is given by treating the drinking water or soft food with Chlamydia treatment, Megamix must also be used. The addition of Megamix allows vitamin and mineral supplements to be given during the course of treatment. These supplements are important in accelerating the recovery process as Psittacosis is often related to vitamin, mineral and protein deficiencies.

I recommend birds receive Turbobooster and F-Vite on a sterile seed, each day during treatment. Those receiving injections should also receive Dufoplus/Ioford in the drinking water daily for one week then twice weekly after this time. Following the Chlamydia treatment treatment your bird should revert to Dr. Marshall’s special health programme.

I would advise your bird to return one week after the cessation of the Chlamydia treatment for a repeat ELISA test. This test ensures that your bird has fully recovered from the disease and is no longer contagious to you or other birds.

Are there any long term problems?

When detected early, the treatment for Psittacosis is remarkably successful as long as there are no underlying illnesses. This is why I recommend a culture test. Unfortunately when an underlying illness is left undetected, Psittacosis may become fatal irrespective of our every effort. In long standing but non fatal infections, Psittacosis can damage the immune system permanently making the bird susceptible to illness in the future. Psittacosis is commonly associated with infertility and the deaths of babies in breeding aviaries. In such aviaries we medicate before the breeding season to prevent problems. To protect your bird from stress related diseases like Psittacosis, follow one of Dr. Marshall’s health programmes.

Is this disease contagious to humans and other birds?

Psittacosis causes many different symptoms and is contagious to other birds and humans. All birds in contact with the ill bird must be treated for the full 45 day course. You must consult your doctor for a blood test to see if you have contracted the illness. The treatment in humans is a course of tablets if you have caught the illness and are not very sick with it. Humans can get kidney failure, severe liver disease and may even die if the disease is not identified and treated early enough. Signs of Psittacosis in humans include chronic fatigue, headaches, flu-like symptoms, nausea, chest pain, abdominal cramps and fever.

The following recommendations may help keep your bird Psittacosis-free:

Quarantine all new birds and Psittacosis test them before mixing with your flock.

Health check and Psittacosis test any new pet birds within 48 hours of purchase.

Clean and disinfect the cage or aviary once a week with an appropriate cage cleaner.

Use a weekly health programme.

Psittacosis Treatment

by Dr. Rob Marshall

Chlamydia treatment Instructions for Pet Birds

Chlamydiosis (Psittacosis) is a serious and common disease frequently encountered in Budgerigars, canaries and parrots. The symptoms of Chlamydiosis are not always obvious. Eye infections, breathing difficulties, feather picking (itchiness) and lethargy are common signs in pet birds. The droppings are usually green in colour and may be watery in nature.

Psittacosis is diagnosed by a special cloacal sway test, together with a culture from the throat and of the dropping. Once diagnosed, treatment with Chlamydia treatment and Megamix is given for 45 days. This treatment in birds with Psittacosis will markedly improve the activity and happiness of your pet bird. Megamix is a citric acid solution and when mixed with the Chlamydia treatment antibiotic, it permits minerals and grits to be given during treatment. Dr. Marshall recommends that Turbobooster, F-vite and Energy supplement are mixed with sterile seed during the long antibiotic treatment. These additional supplements help recovery and limit the side effects often seen with prolonged antibiotic use. *See attached sheet.

After treatment, reinfection with Psittacosis can occur immediately after this treatment for any of the following reasons:

Re-infection from new untreated birds.

Re-infection from other birds (especially wild or aviary parrots, pigeons, doves, finches or canaries).

Dosage InstructionsType of Bird Dosage

For Budgies, cockatiels, peach-faces and other parrots: Chlamydia treatment – ¼ teaspoon to 250 mls of water.Megamix – 1 ml (10 drops) to 250 mls of water.

For doves, pigeons and poultry birds: Chlamydia treatment – ¼ teaspoon to 500 mls of water.Megamix – 2 mls to 500 mls of water.

Lorikeets: Chlamydia treatment – ¼ teaspoon to 500 mls of water. Megamix – 2 mls to 500 mls of water.

Canaries and finches: Chlamydia treatment – ¼ teaspoon to 500 mls of water. Megamix – 2 mls to 500 mls of water.

Other Instructions

Clean and disinfect cage one a week with an appropriate cage cleaner.

At conclusion of treatment, return to our clinic for a repeat Psittacosis test.

Introduce Ongoing Health Programme.

Edited by Bubbles

Straight from the reciept, Ozzie was given a treatment of Vetafarm Psittavet via injection (for the psittacosis i imagine, i was told the injection lasts a week - explains why we have to go back next Wednesday) and Baytrill for the related infections/bugs (he had a high bacteria count or something in his poo, the vet did a gram stain). There is one avian vet in Canberra so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do other than what he can tell me and the medications he uses for his patients.

I don't mean to sound rude at all! I'm stressed and worried that Ozzie's going to die. I have ONE vet to go to and have to trust what he tells me, because i don't have any other options.

Edited by Bea

Straight from the reciept, Ozzie was given a treatment of Vetafarm Psittavet via injection (for the psittacosis i imagine, i was told the injection lasts a week - explains why we have to go back next Wednesday) and Baytrill for the related infections/bugs (he had a high bacteria count or something in his poo, the vet did a gram stain). There is one avian vet in Canberra so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do other than what he can tell me and the medications he uses for his patients.

I don't mean to sound rude at all! I'm stressed and worried that Ozzie's going to die. I have ONE vet to go to and have to trust what he tells me, because i don't have any other options.

Psittavet is a doxycycline as far as I know Bea. It is recommended treatment for psittacosis. You are on the right track so don't worry. It may be wise to ask for a treatment for the other birds water too. A large container of doxyvet was $50 and lasts a very long time. There may be smaller containers to do your other birds. No calcium while they are on the psittavet or doxy, and no vegies.

I don't want to scare you. You have done all the right things and you are monitoring Ozzie's weight too. When you said baytril, it seemed to be the wrong path of treatment. But the Psittavet is correct. With someone like yourself, so caring and observant with the birds....you will come out of this okay. Chin up and all the best Karen :angel1:

This is a link to the topic when we had psittacosis go through.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....&hl=psittacosis

Edited by Bubbles

Psittavet is a doxycycline as far as I know Bea. It is recommended treatment for psittacosis. You are on the right track so don't worry. It may be wise to ask for a treatment for the other birds water too. A large container of doxyvet was $50 and lasts a very long time. There may be smaller containers to do your other birds. No calcium while they are on the psittavet or doxy, and no vegies.

I don't want to scare you. You have done all the right things and you are monitoring Ozzie's weight too. When you said baytril, it seemed to be the wrong path of treatment. But the Psittavet is correct. With someone like yourself, so caring and observant with the birds....you will come out of this okay. Chin up and all the best Karen :angel1:

I'm just so worried sick that Ozzie's going to die and all my other indoor birds will get it and die too. I had no idea that it was really deadly and now i'm worried sick. I don't want any of my birds to die. I'm scared to death that it's going to be long and expensive to treat and that dad will get fed up going to and from the vet and spending money. It would seem as though Ozzie's a carrier based on the fact that twice in his life it's popped up during a stressful time, so what would stop it happening again and again. :budgiedance:

I remember reading your post as it was happening.

Why would the vet give me the impression that it was easily treatable, he didn't give me the impression that it was really deadly. Just that it was really common - more so with the warm, wet weather we've been having.

Edited by Bea

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Bea from what I read in Karen's article that it can be treated but it can harm the immune system so that is something when Oz pulls through and is healthy to discuss with the vet. Additional vitamins to boost his innume system but certain ones that act together you don't want filler veggies but those that can boost the immune system. I remember Terri saying she was reading an excellent book all about budgie nutrition. Thinking of you. I agree with Karen too treating everyone and especially if he was exposed to the new babies.

I'm just so worried sick that Ozzie's going to die and all my other indoor birds will get it and die too. I had no idea that it was really deadly and now i'm worried sick. I don't want any of my birds to die. I'm scared to death that it's going to be long and expensive to treat and that dad will get fed up going to and from the vet and spending money. It would seem as though Ozzie's a carrier based on the fact that twice in his life it's popped up during a stressful time, so what would stop it happening again and again. :budgiedance:

I totally understand your worry and concern for your birds Bea. It's a bit of a shock. My best advice is to assume the other birds have it (whether they do or not ) ....as they have been eating together etc....and treat them all with the Doxyvet or Psittavet powder in their water for the recommended 45 days. Your vet should confirm that course of treatment. Its the one off cost of the powder and you just mix it up into their water daily. It worked for Kens birds when we caught it in time. Just remember no vegies or calcium, eggshell in eggfood, or cuttlebone while on these meds ( check Ozzie's cage and remove that stuff ).

You are super vigilant with your birds and their needs, so just think positive and keep tuned to their health as you always do. There hundreds of people on here behind you every step of the way.

Wish I lived closer. You need a big HUG :angel1:

Edited by Bubbles

I totally understand your worry and concern for your birds Bea. It's a bit of a shock. My best advice is to assume the other birds have it (whether they do or not ) ....as they have been eating together etc....and treat them all with the Doxyvet or Psittavet powder in their water for the recommended 45 days. Your vet should confirm that course of treatment. Its the one off cost of the powder and you just mix it up into their water daily. It worked for Kens birds when we caught it in time. Just remember no vegies or calcium, eggshell in eggfood, or cuttlebone while on these meds ( check Ozzie's cage and remove that stuff ).

You are super vigilant with your birds and their needs, so just think positive and keep tuned to their health as you always do. There hundreds of people on here behind you every step of the way.

Wish I lived closer. You need a big HUG :angel1:

He doesn't have any of those things in his cage. I'm going to have a week of being worried sick before i can ask about treatment for the whole flock. I wish i had persisted while i was there instead of letting the vet brush the idea away but he seriously did not give me the impression that it was necessary. :budgiedance: I tried talking to mum about my worries and she just got angry and stopped talking to me, she thinks birds are so much hassle when they're sick and cause me all this worry. Same with dad really. I wish i could go back tomorrow and get treatment for all of them. I feel like i'm taking a big risk now, waiting for more to get sick before treating...

I wish I could help. You will worry...you won't be able to help that ...so phone the vet tomorrow and request some psittavet powder for the rest of the birds. Beg, borrow or steal for the money for the powder and do not be swayed. Only then can you put your mind at rest that you are doing ALL that you can. :angel1:

Here is an article of help

A Psittavet is an antibiotic that suppresses Chlamydia psittaci in the bird but will not significantly harm the normal organisms that live inside the digestive system, even with long term treatments. It is administered by mixing with the birds' drinking water, or the injectable form can be used in birds that will not drink water.

Dr Gestier outlined a number of considerations to be taken in treating birds with Psittavet.

Psittavet should be given to the birds in the late afternoon due to the fact that they mostly drink at dawn and dusk, and also because Psittavet degrades in sunlight. This does not harm the birds, but the treatment does lose its effectiveness. For this reason the drinking water should be changed daily and have a "fresh" dose of Psittavet added, and should also be shaded as much as possible. This may involve making a small shelter to shade the water container. Because birds are creatures of habit, it is preferable not to move the container, as this may stress them.

Water containers should be made of glass, stainless steel or glazed terracotta, not plastic, ordinary pottery or galvanised iron which all tend to react with the treatment and degrade the antibiotic. Similarly, other substances should not be mixed with Psittavet, as the antibiotic is fragile and could degrade.

If it is available, birds will prefer to drink untreated water. For this reason all other sources of water should be excluded from their cages in order for the treatment to work. This could involve timing the treatment so that it is given during the dry months in which rain, dew or fog will not collect on the wires of their cages. Any time spent where the birds do have access to plain water should be added onto the treatment time to ensure that the birds are given enough antibiotic for it to be effective. Any foods with a high moisture content, such as spinach, should not be given to the birds, as this will reduce their need to drink the water and thus the amount of antibiotic ingested by the bird.

It is also important that the treatment is given during the warmer months of the year when the birds will drink more water and thus take in more of the antibiotic. During the colder months birds will not drink as much water and so the treatment will not be as effective.

Every seventh day during the treatment the birds should be fed soaks and greens and Soluvet added to their water.

Once the treatment program is finished, the birds will be free of Chlamydia psittaci, however the organism can re-infect birds if present in wild or introduced birds that come into contact with the treatment birds. For this reason routine screening of faeces should be carried out by veterinarians to check for the bacterium, and a routine treatment should be carried out, preferably in the warmer, drier months to assist in preventing Psittacosis from returning.

After treatment, it is important to re-establish any organisms n the birds' digestive systems that may have been affected by the treatment. This is achieved by administering Probotic, or freeze-dried bacteria, that re-colonise the digestive tract.

Without proper management practices taking place, the Psittavet treatment will not be as effective. These management practices include the maintenance of hygiene, adequate nutrition, a clean water supply, good housing conditions, smaller numbers of birds per cage, and quarantine of all new arrivals. All of these practices will reduce the stress that cage and aviary birds will undergo and thus their susceptibility to Psittacosis.

by Dr. Tony Gestier BVSc. (Hons.), MACVSc.

I'll ring in the morning and hopefully be able to talk to the vet. Convincing dad to drive me there to get the meds is another matter...

• Member ID:  2,952
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

Oh Bea I wish I could help.I hope Ozzie and all your birds pull through this, which I am sure they will.You look after your birds really well and give them all they need and more.My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ozzie and sending you lots of hugs over the internet.

Well Oz has perked up BIG TIME! :( He's been scoffing down the millet and his poos are looking normal (i imagine because he has food in his tummy to poop out). He's chirpy and enjoying some sun in Tim's room.