• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have a solution that worked for splayed legs. You have to catch it early....under 2-3 weeks. So keep a close watch on your babies in a nest and begin treatment early to effect a remedy.

It best to catch this problem before the 3 week old stage but give it a try. I use a piece of flat makeup sponge ( rectangular in shape across the width ) ....cut two tiny holes or slits in it between half an inch apart or three quarters of an inch apart. Next is the difficult bit....you need two people. One to hold the budgie baby offering its legs and feet to go through the hole and one to make sure its feet and toes go through safely.

A handy tip for putting the legs through is to cut a section of plastic drinking straw and slit it up the length. Wrap that around the budgies leg and push it through the holes...once through slip the plastic straw off the leg. Once you have both feet through the holes, push the section of sponge up past its "knees-ies" to the top section of leg. If too much excess sponge sticks out trim some back. I have used this method successfully already and a severely splayed baby was totally fixed. This enables the budgie to still get around in its box, doesnt tangle like some other methods may do. The only occasional problem can be rejection at times by the mother but most are fine with it. Make sure baby can still get up there to be fed and help it get closer to Mum to be fed if it is having trouble. Check the "splint" in a week...remove and see if legs are better. I usually at this time. if not quite right yet, re-do the split just a fraction closer in together for another week. By then it is usually fixed.

pupssept173.jpg

pupssept174.jpg

pupssept175.jpg

This baby was severely leg splayed and now you wouldn't know anything was ever wrong with it

ju06060.jpg

nerwen052.jpg

Don't just assume this problem is caused by the floor type of the nesting box or a hen sitting too tightly over the chicks. It can be caused by a lack of calcium in the babies. Best to use a concentrated calcium only supplement both in the drinking water for parents and babies and also by drops into the beak of the affected babies. CALCIVET is a brand we use here in Australia...a calcium supplement that can reverse the symptoms of splay legs if caught early enough. Use both the make up sponge repair method and the supplement together and you should acchieve some success.

Additional reading material

http://www.bcv.asn.au/Beginner.htm

Edited by Elly
ADDED TO FAQ

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2

Exactly what I was looking for... thank you very much.

I show you a picture of my newborn chick, s/he is 10 days old and I hope I can correct her/his problem with this method.

Here it is:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/207/dscf0765nv4.jpg

The right age to be helping this chick. But please also put the baby and parents on a calcium supplement as well. Good luck. :(

QUOTE>>>>>"The earliest sign of the "splayed chick syndrome" is a dark red discoloration of the knee joint noticeable at about 5/6 days of age. Later, both the knee and the hip joint are discoloured, followed by the chick lying flat and being under developed. " UNQUOTE http://www.bcv.asn.au/Beginner.htm

Edited by Bubbles
  • 10 months later...

• Member ID:  3,708
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,285

Kaz, I have a chick who is developing splayed legs, 14 days old. I'll upload a picture tonight but sending my hubby out to get the sponges.. what size is best to buy?

Kaz, I have a chick who is developing splayed legs, 14 days old. I'll upload a picture tonight but sending my hubby out to get the sponges.. what size is best to buy?

Generally in the cheap shops you can buy a mixed packed of them...different sizes and shapes. The kind you want isnt very thick but it is dense foam, not like the foam for bath sponges but more tighter density. A tip for threading the legs through is to cut a short section of a drinking straw and slit it lengthwise....wrap the babies leg with the straw and thread it through your holes. Push the sponge up under its butt and cut most of the excess away so it can get around and not topple over. At the same time treat parents with water soluble calcium ( I use calcivet ) and give one drop of calcium solution to the baby by beak once a day for 7 days. :P

Edited by KAZ

thanks kaz... trying to make the splint now.. I've already added the calcivet to the water and onto the chicks beak tonight... I hope I get this right.. (Laughing out loud), cause it's gonna be a georgous spangle

Edited by Ravengypsy

here are photos of the splayed legs... I've since splinted them tonight as instructed (to the best of my ability) but no pics of the splints yet.

These were taken earlier tonight at 14 days old,

000_2958edit.jpg

000_2966edit.jpg

The chick isnt too bad...you should have success with that :P

• Member ID:  3,776
  • Content Count:  556
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  4,660
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know how far apart to make the holes in the foam? Is there a specific measurement or just an estimate?

I put mine a half inch apart as suggested

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know how far apart to make the holes in the foam? Is there a specific measurement or just an estimate?

Depends on the size of the budgie. You have to bring them in a little closer than a normal position. Leave it on for a week and check, then back on for another week to be sure if it needs it.

Ravengypsy...post a picture when you can :)

Edited by KAZ

I'll take a picture when I get home from work and post it first thing. I'm thinking of leaving work early sick anyways, it's one of those days.

My chick is about twice the size of yours in the photo... should I have spaced it out more? (Laughing out loud)

Edited by Ravengypsy

I'll take a picture when I get home from work and post it first thing. I'm thinking of leaving work early sick anyways, it's one of those days.

My chick is about twice the size of yours in the photo... should I have spaced it out more? LOL

Its best to put the legs closer than a normal position to correct the problem :)

PS That photo was taken before I trimmed the sponge back a bit ....

Here's a picture of the splint which is working great. I took it off today for a few minutes to check him out and the legs are doing better already (standing up on it's own now) but still needs a few more days on. Pics taken today.

splayedlegbrace.jpg

000_2994a.jpg

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Hey Kaz, Apart from a make up sponge will another sponge do the job too ... I think that my 2week old may have splayed legs - I give the birds the calivet that i bought from you but I had no nest materials in this time as the hen kept taking them out and using her feathers instead , Chicks joints are red however where the Hip is is darker pink I will try and post a picture Need battereis though

Hey Kaz, Apart from a make up sponge will another sponge do the job too ... I think that my 2week old may have splayed legs - I give the birds the calivet that i bought from you but I had no nest materials in this time as the hen kept taking them out and using her feathers instead , Chicks joints are red however where the Hip is is darker pink I will try and post a picture Need battereis though

YES sounds like splayed legs for sure. One drop calcivet to the beak of the chick each day for 5-7 days and more calcivet in the parents water. Sponge is makeup sponge as it is higher density and is firmer. You may find some from an old loungesuite cushion and maybe you can rob a sliver off that if you cant get to the shops. It can wait a day or so.

This has more to do with calcium or lack of it than to do with hens sitting too tight or nesting materials.

Edited by KAZ
  • 1 year later...

:emoticon112:

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  6,015
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  205

Thankyou so much for the helpful advice!!! It was only by accident that I came across this page when I was doing a general search about caring for babies. After reading I noticed my 3 little ones had mildly splayed legs, the oldest is 14-16 days old and the youngest is around 8-10 days old. We did the sponge splint for all 3 and in 24hrs they are all walking and sitting nicely in the box instead of flat on their faces. Thankyou!!!! Mum seems happy too, as she has been more than happy to let us take the babies out for a little while every day, and also when I cleaned the box.

We just used the round makeup sponges that you use to apply powder/foundation. They were perfect thickness and density, and managed to only need half a sponge for each bird. It doesnt at all look as perfect as the initial photos on here but it appears to of done the job. We didnt use straws or anything to get their legs in the holes, I just poked their foot through while my partner stretched the hole open. Then I was able to pull their legs all the way through, gently of course.

Edited by luckaholic

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

good job luckaholic

Have encountered a problem. Splints only lasted a day, however the budgies legs had greatly improved in that time. We put new splints on again today and it appears the oldest baby has fallen out of the box not long after, and had almost wiggled out of the splint. So I took its splint off as its legs seemed reasonable, it can walk well. I will check the splints on the other babies tommorow.

My concern now is not only the impossibility of a splint staying on the eldest, but also the falling out of the box. I dont think it had been long as the baby was still reasonably warm (it is cold outside). It didnt appear hurt (although im not an expert and the box is a fair distance from the ground), so Ive put it back in the box (after warming him/her up) which Ive now put on the bottom of the cage and moved everything around, much to the annoyance of the mum and dad. Will the mum still know the box is there? I dont have time to hand raise them let alone worry too much about them (doesnt mean i dont care, i just literally dont have alot of time), and so far the mum has looked after them perfectly.

Any help would be most appreciated!!!

Have encountered a problem. Splints only lasted a day, however the budgies legs had greatly improved in that time. We put new splints on again today and it appears the oldest baby has fallen out of the box not long after, and had almost wiggled out of the splint. So I took its splint off as its legs seemed reasonable, it can walk well. I will check the splints on the other babies tommorow.

My concern now is not only the impossibility of a splint staying on the eldest, but also the falling out of the box. I dont think it had been long as the baby was still reasonably warm (it is cold outside). It didnt appear hurt (although im not an expert and the box is a fair distance from the ground), so Ive put it back in the box (after warming him/her up) which Ive now put on the bottom of the cage and moved everything around, much to the annoyance of the mum and dad. Will the mum still know the box is there? I dont have time to hand raise them let alone worry too much about them (doesnt mean i dont care, i just literally dont have alot of time), and so far the mum has looked after them perfectly.

Any help would be most appreciated!!!

If the holes are too large in the sponge or are slits the legs can come out. Takes a couple of versions before you get it right. One day is not enough to make a difference if the legs were splayed. If any excess sponge all around trim it away so it doesnt get caught up.

Its preferable to not move nestboxes about amidst breeding but if you have to you will have to observe and see what difference it makes and be prepared to change it back.

Have encountered a problem. Splints only lasted a day, however the budgies legs had greatly improved in that time. We put new splints on again today and it appears the oldest baby has fallen out of the box not long after, and had almost wiggled out of the splint. So I took its splint off as its legs seemed reasonable, it can walk well. I will check the splints on the other babies tommorow.My concern now is not only the impossibility of a splint staying on the eldest, but also the falling out of the box. I dont think it had been long as the baby was still reasonably warm (it is cold outside). It didnt appear hurt (although im not an expert and the box is a fair distance from the ground), so Ive put it back in the box (after warming him/her up) which Ive now put on the bottom of the cage and moved everything around, much to the annoyance of the mum and dad. Will the mum still know the box is there? I dont have time to hand raise them let alone worry too much about them (doesnt mean i dont care, i just literally dont have alot of time), and so far the mum has looked after them perfectly.Any help would be most appreciated!!!
If the holes are too large in the sponge or are slits the legs can come out. Takes a couple of versions before you get it right. One day is not enough to make a difference if the legs were splayed. If any excess sponge all around trim it away so it doesnt get caught up.Its preferable to not move nestboxes about amidst breeding but if you have to you will have to observe and see what difference it makes and be prepared to change it back.
Hi,We made the holes quite small but big enough to stretch over the birds feet. How far apart are their feet normally? The eldest hatched 9th or 10th April, then the next hatched 11th or 12th and the last hatched 13th or 14th April. Its late now so will check things in the morning. I moved the box in a panick after I found the eldest on the bottom of the cage.I read on another site about using pipe cleaners as splints, what is your opinion on that? I thought it may be a dangerous thing to do. I will also post some photos in the morning of their legs.
Have encountered a problem. Splints only lasted a day, however the budgies legs had greatly improved in that time. We put new splints on again today and it appears the oldest baby has fallen out of the box not long after, and had almost wiggled out of the splint. So I took its splint off as its legs seemed reasonable, it can walk well. I will check the splints on the other babies tommorow.My concern now is not only the impossibility of a splint staying on the eldest, but also the falling out of the box. I dont think it had been long as the baby was still reasonably warm (it is cold outside). It didnt appear hurt (although im not an expert and the box is a fair distance from the ground), so Ive put it back in the box (after warming him/her up) which Ive now put on the bottom of the cage and moved everything around, much to the annoyance of the mum and dad. Will the mum still know the box is there? I dont have time to hand raise them let alone worry too much about them (doesnt mean i dont care, i just literally dont have alot of time), and so far the mum has looked after them perfectly.Any help would be most appreciated!!!
Dont know why I said "one day", we put the splints on them on sunday just gone, and checked them yesterday(tuesday) and they had taken one leg out. So hopefully they lasted more than 24hrs.
  • 4 months later...

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

Just wondering, but I have a chick that I have tried this method on, and the parents are very persistant.

I have gone through 3 sponges in 4 days, with the parents chewing it and tearing it.

They dont eat it, just use it for nest lining. What will happen if this chick develops into an adult?

Picture of chick in nest:

DSCF9662.jpg

(Far right)

DSCF9717.jpg

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

You could try the bottle brush tie method? Or some other soft coated thin wire tie off type method. Be very careful to make a fixed loop that cant be shaken off but wont tighten or you'll lose the feet to strangulation. One method I considered trying was to use to open leg rings (the ones you can close around the leg and then release later if you want). Tie some wire or string to each ring, and then close the rings over each leg. Worth a shot.

Youll need to move very quickly as your chicks look older than 2 weeks. Please read back the entire thread as there is some great info here. I would try pipe cleaners, but just ensure the sharp end of the pipe cleaner is bent around so to prevent injury to the birds.

May I also mention it is ESSENTIAL you get some wood shavings for the box, as bird seed is too slippery and doesnt help the birds legs either. It also looks like your box is plastic.....also a huge no no for babies which can very well be the reason why their legs are splayed as they cant get a gripping on plastic. You will need a wooden box (or at least a wooden base). Use timber that is a little roughed up, not smooth timber. You need to do this immediately though as it will be too late if not already.

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

Youll need to move very quickly as your chicks look older than 2 weeks. Please read back the entire thread as there is some great info here. I would try pipe cleaners, but just ensure the sharp end of the pipe cleaner is bent around so to prevent injury to the birds.

May I also mention it is ESSENTIAL you get some wood shavings for the box, as bird seed is too slippery and doesnt help the birds legs either. It also looks like your box is plastic.....also a huge no no for babies which can very well be the reason why their legs are splayed as they cant get a gripping on plastic. You will need a wooden box (or at least a wooden base). Use timber that is a little roughed up, not smooth timber. You need to do this immediately though as it will be too late if not already.

Haha sorry that isn't my box! Well, my photography box lol.

Even I am not silly enough to use an icecream container as a nesting box.

My birds get taken out daily for check ups. My nesting material is wood shavings and seed, mainly seed at this age though.

And I have read the entire thread :P

Also only one chick is splayed.

I will try the makeup sponge again I think.... or I will try putting a split ring on one leg and linking it to the other closed or split.