New Budgie

Guest Frollet

Guest Frollet

Hey All

Just got a new budgie, (i havnt had one for a few years) he looks so awesome... i got him from a pet shop, the owner of wich is a bird breeder but she wasnt in today so i didnt get much advice, i think the bird was hand reared im not sure tho, it dosnt have any problems sitting on my finger, but it hasnt had anything to eat or drink. it concerns me a bit he just sits on his pearch looking at me while he is in his cage, i think he is about 10 weeks old or around that he is quite small, but all advice would be much apreciated, and ill get a photo for everyone (he is such a beautiful bird)

And he dosnt have a name yet :P

-Frollet-

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Welcome Frollet :P

I'm glad your little one is already happy with you. He may also be in a bit of shock and stress due to the capture and transport to your house, and now being all along. So try not to handle him often for the first few days. But if he happily hops onto your hand by all means don't stop him.

Budgies live in a semi arid area of Australia and can go days with out water, and when they do drink it will be rare for you to see it. If you want to watch for it (to settle your mind) they will tend to drink late afternoons.

As to the seed he may not have found the seed dish yet, if you don't have a grill on the bottom of the cage you can sprinkle some there for him to find. If you do have a grill a small dish down low might be found easier than the dish.

OR you can put up a sprig of millet to the side of the cage near a perch, they love that and it will try him over for the next day or so until he settles and can find the seed dish.

Guest Frollet

thanks :P he just didnt want to get off my hand when i went to put him into his cage so i held him for a while, ive sprinkled some seed on the floor now... and i have no idear what millet is im guessing a plant?

and he just started chirping a bit :D there any other plants from the garden he might like? im also concerned his water dish might be a bit big for a young budgie i havnt put much water in it incase he gets stuck in it

i was going to ask something else but my brain goes blank when i type forum posts

-Frollet-

:P Hello and welcome! Glad your new budgie is sticking close to you, but don't stress him/her out much in the first few days,they have to get accustomed to their new home (cage). You should, however, fill his water and seed dishes FULL as he is new and getting his bearings and doesn't know where to look for stuff. Millet is a treat (long sprigs of seeds and should be given sparingly or as a training device as it has a high fat content). This is the time to introduce dark greens and other vegetables and occasional fruits while he is still a baby. It will make him familiar with foods that are good for him, please read the section on nutrition and all the best to you and your new budgie, enjoy! :greenb: Edited by Phoebe

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

welcome our forums a nice site to read and learn is www.budgietalk.com it was created by one of our members eterri.

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Welcome to the forum. This is an amazing place. The members are so helpful. In just a little over a year I went from the new owner of 2 budgies to 16 and I've just recently started breeding. Everything I know I learned here from these great folks and the information provided on this forum. Did I mention that budgies are addictive :P

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi , welcome to the forums . l agree with shawna that this forum is full of info and helpful members and also that budgies can become very addicting , last year l started out with 2 budgies and now my flock has become 6 and l'm planing on breeding them soon .

Guest Frollet

Hey Guys

My Birdie is settling in well, he found his food and water and is eating and drinking, im getting him some toys from work tomorrow (i work at an animal supplys wholesale warehouse... free stuff is neato (only if its damaged... i got some lice and mite spray for birds free cause it had no lable)) but anyway i can get anything i need, i just would like some input on toys and feeds that i may need, prefrably befor tomorrow thanks guys

-Frollet-

-Edit- i also got pics of him havnt got off camera yet :(

Edited by Frollet
Guest Frollet

sorry for impatientness, but i really would like answers befor the morn, ive been reading all this stuff about pellets but i cant find what they are actully called, i cant get basically anything from work i just need some advice thnks

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

pellets or sometimes called crumbles in aus, can work for some. A mixture of both is better than just seeds or just pellets. I tried to get my birds to eat it to help with weight but they wouldn't touch it. Other might be able to help with more info.

As to toys, if you want to him him tame and bonded more ot you don't give him toys with a mirror. They bond to the bird they see rather than humans. Budgie seem to love the balls with bells in it or anything noisy like that :( Ones that can be chewed and/or shredded they like as well.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

They seem to like rope perches too, anything rope like really. Wooden perches of all kinds of diameters, natural branch types over dowels. Try not to get the sandpaper type perches,...they can hurt their feet. As Nerwen says no mirror toys, but anything colourful and fun and rattly and noisy ....

Cheers Karen :lol:

Guest Frollet

Thasnks Bubble

i sent nerwen a list of what i got without advice, (didnt get to view forums in the morn) i think i did well altho i cant be bothered typing it all out again this time of night, he seems happy with his new toys, and absolutly intriguied by his swing, he jumps on and is like "whoa calm down" jumps off wait til it stops and does it again its cute

we dont sell rope pearches at work but ill keep an eye out for them we dont sell millet either do most pet shops carry it? or do i have to go adventuring to find it?

Cheers

-Frollet-

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Millet can be bought from most petshops and also from supermarkets in packets or boxes. Use millet as a treat and training food....i.e. reward system. Its good that you are asking all the right questions. Your bird will be very lucky to have a home with you :blush: