• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  750
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  14/09/1978

Well I have a small problem with my babies. I gave two of them to two friends both friends were back with the babies in 4 hours. Like me they had been going through the continous high pitched heart wretching screeching. I could hear them coming over the screeching going on in my house.

We couldnt figure out what the issue was so we put them in the room together with their siblings and they quieted done a bit put them in the cage and they stopped and preened each other for hours. So I again have four babies who wont be seperated is this usual they all happily get on my hand although not quite as tame as I would like.

What do I do, are they suffering from seperation anxiety they went nuts until they were together again. I dont mind having them together and keeping them my friends just liked them.

And then I wonder what will happen if one of them dies (god forbid) or escapes (god forbid also) what then? :wub:

• Member ID:  3,109
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  135

I have only experienced this behaviour in very young babies, How old are they?

• Member ID:  3,073

They are fledged, cracking seed, flying not so agile yet but good enough, they are approximately 2 months old now thats what baffles me. I would understand it if they were quite young but they are not. I have to train 2 of them together or else they wont stop screeching and freaking out.

I have a similar problem.

My baby budgie has that same heart renching scream but he is only 3 weeks old, is this normal?

I have him in a softly lined show box as i dont have a small cage yet to keep him in and i feed him every 4-5 hours (when his crop is empty) and I spend allot of bonding time with him which is when he starts to sqwauk! it takes him a while to calm down. its like he wants food as he nibbles at my fingers whilst he schreeches. ;)

Yours is normal mine used to carry on like that when they were young.

However mine can now look after themselves however thay carry on like lunatics when seperated didnt care when I moved them out of mum and Dads cage and into there on but god forbid should I ever try to seperate them they just go mental. When I say screeching for 4 hours i mean non stop for 4 hours it was like been stuck in a nightmare

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

it is normal for budgies to call each other young or old. if your friend wants one and lives in a different home the budgie will adjust yes it will call but once it adjusts it will call to the owner not the other budgie

it may take a week, if your friend lives with you and you can't stand the calling they will probably have to stay together ;)

Does that help?

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

I would suggest you try putting them in different cages in different rooms and cover them over for a while. This is just an idea i thought of since I've not had this issue, when i keep Scuttle by himself while the others went out to the big aviary he didn't fret, he would call out to them as they all do with the wild birds but not scream for the others.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

You might have to go about seperating them gradually. Putting them in cages next to each other. etc. Shifting them, apart from each other, a little every day, until they are in seperate rooms from each other. And when you go to seperate them into different rooms. Do it for 1 hour the first day and then put them back in the same, room, but as far away as possible from each other. Then extend this time period every day.

Another thing is to remember to not pay any attention to them while they are screaming. And if they stop, lavish heaps of attention on them and give them millet and treats etc.

I hope this helps. :)

Yeah that does help guys thanks. I was just so suprised that they freaked out so bad I guess I will just have to keep them together if all else fails but I will definately try these ideas I dont want them to fret for each other as at some stage I may need to seperate them like if one falls ill or something.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I think maybe if you give it another week or so, they may outgrow it. It sounds like they are just not ready to be seperated. I went through something similar when I seperated the first clutch of babies by themselves while mom and dad were busy with the second. After two days of screaming I put them back in with Dad (as he was the one doing all the screaming!) and they stopped. I bought a second identical cage I think within the week, placed it next to the first one, and then put the babies in it by themselves and all was well. I wouldn't force them apart, after all if it takes another week or two for them to gain a bit more confidence with being more independent, then so what? A few weeks really isn't a big deal to us, but could make all the world of difference to your babies.

Yeah I have just decided to let them be at present. I agree with you Rainbow. I think they just very close the bubs feed and preen each other all the time. They in a cage together mum and dad not worried about them leaving and the bubs happy as long as they together.

We will see maybe they sense I didnt really want to give them up who knows. :blush:

Guest Sco-tie

all birds will call when separated from their mates but they wil ajust, unless they are like some species that mate for life but budgies arn't so simply seaptate them and cover them with a towel so thay dont get shock and dont pay any attention till they stop screaching.

hope this helps.

Sco-tie