• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Does anyone have or has had a budgie with only one leg? Rainbow has almost lost the use of his right leg, and I'd like suggestions on how to make his life easier. I took him to the vet, and we don't know whether he has a tumor that is pressing on the nerve, or if somebody bit his foot. No masses were felt in his abdomen, and this came on rather quickly so I don't think that is it. At least I really hope not. It also seems to be a little discolored to me, so I think one of the other birds got ticked off at him. Squabbles have been happening more frequently with them lately, I think because they are getting into the breeding mode again. Anyway, I am beginning to think there is some nerve damage to his foot. Right now, he is seperated in a cage by himself, but he hates it. Yesterday he didn't eat all day, except for some millet. I felt sorry for him so I let him out to fly and the first thing he did was fly to the other cages to be with all the other birds. I let them out too, and after much screeching and flying around he pigged out on their seed so I know he was starving. Then he settled himself in one of their cages and I had a hard time getting him out. When he is out with them he is so much happier, but he tends to overdo it with moving around (he thinks he can still mate with the hens, but he can't with one leg) so I have to really keep watch. Once he starts losing his balance alot some of the other birds begin to pick on him and the other males I have begin fighting him for females. :) So, does anyone have any suggestions? I've never had a special needs budgie before, but anything I need to do will get done.

Guest oscarchik101

((((((((((rainbow)))))))))))

oh im so sorry! my peanut got his foot caught in the carpet and he went lame in one leg too. his was nerve damage. i had him separated, and he stopped eating also. so i put him back in the big cage. but then... ::sniffle:: :)

i hope yours turns out better! i'll be praying for you.

• Member ID:  70
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

i would let him take his chances i know this sounds hard but if he is pining and not eating he wont last i believe he will find his own niche it could no will be hard for him but in the long run better

• Member ID:  198

Well, so far what I have done is put him by himself in the cage he had before I got the big ones. It is in the same room, same spot it was before. I put a nest box in the bottom for him to use as a platform in case he wants to sit flat-footed. It was the only thing I could think of to put in his cage that wouldn't scare him... I put a plate of food on it and bought some more seed cups that you hang on the side of the cage and put one at the end of the highest perch, the other one next to the platform. I think he didn't eat before because it was hard for him to get to where the food was. He has a ladder leading down to where the food and water cups that came with the cage are in case he wants to move around. He has eaten from the new cups I've placed in his cage, so that's a good thing. He is truly happiest though when I let him out and he can fly to the other birds.

I may put him back in with the other birds eventually, but I just can't do that until I know he has adjusted and is not in pain. Right now I think it still hurts, and as long as it does I'm afraid he could hurt himself even worse if he gets picked on and can't get away. He still wants to mate with all the hens, so as long as he is still interested in that I feel pretty good about him. It's just sad. Does anyone have any other suggestions about what I can do to help him adjust to only being able to use one leg?

Oh dear Rainbow this is a difficult one. I have no personal experience of this so all I can think of would be to perhaps put something soft on the bottom of his cage so that if he does fall,he won't hurt himself.Maybe a soft towel?

Also,I wonder if his other leg might possibly get stronger and maybe he will be able to support himself on it? I have seen one legged pigeons etc.which seem to cope quite well.

Perhaps use only those thicker ropey type perches so he can get as good a grip as possible.Or maybe will he need thinner ones(I'm not sure which would be best as I'm not sure about bird anatomy etc.)

If he enjoys flying it would be nice to allow him to do this even if you have to rescue him from the other cage afterwards.

I'll carry on thinking and let you know if I can think of anything else.

Julie

**Update**

At this point, I'm pretty sure he will not have much use of his leg anymore. He can perch with it, but I don't think he has much sensation in his toes, as he "misses" the perch and sometimes can't "find" it with that foot. He can still grip it, but with three toes pointing forward - I don't think he can feel they are in the wrong position. The smallest toe points forward instead of back. He has to land just right before they are all pointing the right way. He does much better on very thin perches, but most of the time only uses one leg. Sometimes I let him stay in the big cage with all the other birds, sometimes he seems to prefer to be by himself. At first, he let other birds pick on him and chase him away from food, but the past two days he is starting to take up for himself and will hack back. I'm proud of him for that, but feel like I have to watch him extra closely in case a serious fight breaks out. I think all the birds are feeling their oats, so to speak, as the hens are VERY grumpy now and are starting a lot of fights. I think it has something to do with the urge to breed...

Please, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm always open to them and appreciate them very much. :bluebudgie:

Hi Rainbow,

I've been racking my brains on this one and the only other thing I can come up with is would it be possible for him and a close buddy(or even a new bird!?!) to share a cage of their own?

Also I'm sure Chirpy won't mind me saying this but what about asking her for suggestions as she has some experience with special needs budgies I think?

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking him back to the vet today. He's not getting around so good, and I'm a mess. :(

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

oh poor Rainbow (both the person and the bird)

*good vibes sent your way*

I hope he learns to live with it the porr little man. the only Idea I had reading the post was the same as julies but a friend in the cage with him and he may settle down a bit and eat better. Also have the branches as low as possable for him in case he does fall.

Thanks everyone for the support and good wishes. We think he has a kidney tumor, but he is on some meds that seem to be making him feel a little better, even though he still can't use his leg. I'm not sure how long I will have him, but he is in good spirits and still is holding his own when I let all the birds out together. As long as he is happy, so am I. :(