Lisachromis

Cere Question

okay, I've got a question. I've tried searching for the answer but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Tango is a dilute green spangle. She's approximately 11 months old now and I have yet to see her cere change colour. This got me wondering...

Do dilute females have ceres that change colour and if so, when should I expect it to change?

I haven't read anything about the dilutation affecting the cere color. Meaning in color to change to a crusty brown? and breeding condition or the light blue?

I meant to the breeding condition crusty brown. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

The female dilute will have the same cere color changes as all the other mutations. Is it still pink, or is it white?

l'm not quite sure what the answer is to your question is either because l have a sky blue opaline dilute female and she is about the same age as yours (11 months to a year old ) and l still haven't seen her cere change to a crusty brown either , right now her cere is a very light blue with white . here is a link to her picture ( scroll down she is the secound picture , claire) that is what here cere is right now .

Edited by birdluv

Guest Shellball

My girls range from 5 months to 1 year old and none of them have changed cere color. I wonder what age they should change if they are not in a breeding situation?

Shell, usually by 10 months or so. They do not have to be in a breeding situation to have the cere change to brown. What makes the cere brown is the amount of estrogen the bird is producing. Some don't mature until a little later.

l'm not quite sure what the answer is to your question is either because l have a sky blue opaline dilute female and she is about the same age as yours (11 months to a year old ) and l still haven't seen her cere change to a crusty brown either , right now her cere is a very light blue with white . here is a link to her picture ( scroll down she is the secound picture , claire) that is what here cere is right now .

That sounds like the colour of Tango's cere too. That's what made me wonder.

Guest Shellball

:grbud: Thank you Rainbow!! I am not sure if any of my girls is quite a year old, but getting close. I guess they are just slow bloomers!! I will be watching them though. Do any other types of changes occur at that time because of the estrogen?

okay so if I have a budgie that has a crusty brown cere and when I got her was told she was 6 months old and would now be 8-9 months old, does that mean she may be older than first thought or just that she is an early bloomer? :grbud:

yes her hormone levels could just be higher in her system, it does not mean she should be bred. Like teenagers girls just because they get their period at 13 doesn't mean they should get pregnant :grbud: (nothing against anyone who may have) there is a degree of maturity that comes with raising a clutch and most breeders agree between 15-18 months old they should be.

:D Thank you Rainbow!! I am not sure if any of my girls is quite a year old, but getting close. I guess they are just slow bloomers!! I will be watching them though. Do any other types of changes occur at that time because of the estrogen?

You might notice increased chewing behavior...perches, toys, paper, etc. Maybe a little more guarding of the food dishes, LOL. I know estrogen makes me eat more. :)

okay so if I have a budgie that has a crusty brown cere and when I got her was told she was 6 months old and would now be 8-9 months old, does that mean she may be older than first thought or just that she is an early bloomer? :)

I had 2 birds that began to get a tan/brown cere at 5 months of age, and the youngest hen from the last clutch still had a whitish-blue cere at 10 months. Hers was not fully brown until she was about a year old. She was surrounded by both sexes, so it wasn't an issue of there being no males around. It was just normal for her to stay a baby for a little longer. :) The rest were brown around the 6-7 month mark. It very well may be the case your hen is the age you were given.

Guest Shellball
:) thanks again Rainbow. If you only knew what my estrogen did to me!!! :) I am so glad I don't have to deal with it anymore!!!!! Menepause is *** but the sweetness of the light at the end of the tunnel is sooooo good. Life is good without hormones!!!

Isis is a dilute of some sort and she is just over a year old and her cere is very crusty brown at the moment.

yes her hormone levels could just be higher in her system, it does not mean she should be bred. Like teenagers girls just because they get their period at 13 doesn't mean they should get pregnant (nothing against anyone who may have) there is a degree of maturity that comes with raising a clutch and most breeders agree between 15-18 months old they should be.

Thanks lovey, I don't plan on breeding her any time soon, :) was just curious, because you hear so many different stories, the woman that I actually got her from was breeding them and I am sure she is breeding them as soon as they come into condition no matter how old they are, because I asked her something about breeding at the time and she pointed out another girl that she had there (a lutino I think) in a cage that she said was 3 months old ish and said to me that she was ready now, glad I didn't take her info and just run with it, I want to do as much research as possible before I even think about it :)

Guest shareno
okay, I've got a question. I've tried searching for the answer but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Tango is a dilute green spangle. She's approximately 11 months old now and I have yet to see her cere change colour. This got me wondering...

Do dilute females have ceres that change colour and if so, when should I expect it to change?

My dilute...she changed around 8 months and there is no question at all that she is female. The change is quite drastic. She went from this light blue (I couldn't decide what sex she was) to a dark, dark brown. I don't have a question anymore about her sex :-)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have noticed she's alot more defensive of the food dishes, and I've noticed that the last few times I've changed the paper on the bottom of the cage, that there's one specific spot that's been chewed. I didn't expect the budgies to go after the paper like they (she?) did. I know the finches will to add to their nest. Didn't look like any had been eaten, just destroyed and nibbled on. So... just a matter of waiting to see the change.

Thanks!