• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

As discussed in another topic.

We are asking for Questions for the Budgie FAQ section at the top right hand corner of the forum.

If you have a question regarding Show Birds in particular or have an answer that you have given out regularly, please post it here.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

What exactly is the definition of a "show bird" ?

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247

What exactly is the definition of a "show bird" ?

A Show Bird is not just a bird that is Breed and Placed in a Show Cage for a Judge to see. A Show Bird must want to show. Budgerigars have the ability to Throw the feathers on their forehead (Frontal) forward and up. This is the "Blow". This is part of showing. Like a Peacock shows off his tail to a Peahen. The Shape and stance is also very much on show.

The Bird really does look like it has Attitude.

mainfeats.jpg
Edited by daz
Guest candacelast

why show budgies? meaning...i've shown dogs and this is to enhance the pedigrees and gain championships and points, more points the better puppys bred from these dogs worth more, ect wondering if the same works for budgies?

why show budgies? meaning...i've shown dogs and this is to enhance the pedigrees and gain championships and points, more points the better puppys bred from these dogs worth more, ect wondering if the same works for budgies?

It is baically the same. There are three classes of Show entrants (Australia). Novist, Intermediate and Open.

To progress through the classes you must win, not come second. Each time you win a division, against 5 or more birds in that division you get a point. When you achieve enough points in a period you move to the next level. The higher the level of cause the better your standard of birds are and the more they cost for others to buy. If you look through English Breeders web sites you might see that they call them selves Champion Breeders. This means their birds win at the Champion level.

Oh you can not show a bird that you haven't bred.

Guest candacelast

so if you were to give me a nest of fertile eggs, i hatch, hand rearer ect can i show it? or no because i dont own the actual parents?

do people co-own budgies as they do in high leveled dogs?

so if you were to give me a nest of fertile eggs, i hatch, hand rearer ect can i show it? or no because i dont own the actual parents?

do people co-own budgies as they do in high leveled dogs?

Oh you can not show a bird that you haven't bred. By that I mean buy a bird and show it.

1. If you take the care and attention to have the eggs hatched and raised from the egg to Nestfeather (Fledglings). You have the right to put your Breeders rings on the bird.

You must belong to a registered club to have Breeders rings. Your rings are registered to you. If someone tries to Show a bird with a ring that is not theirs they will be disqualified.

2. Yes some people from syndicates and show birds under that name. Eg Church and O'Rielly, The Jones Family.... etc. But you must show under that registered name. I show under my own name.

On the Issue of rings, there are two types in Australia. There is a club ring. and a coded ring.

Coded rings are specifically for a particular breeder eg. IBS XX -6 1201. XX is the initials or mark of that breeder. IBS stands for Ipswich Budgerigar Society

Club rings are just that for a club. PR-6 394 PR stands for Pine Rivers. My Club.

This ring is Registered with the Australian Natonal Budgerigar Council as my Breeders rig.

This ring was in fact Fluffy's ring. It stays with him.

Guest candacelast

interesting, is there a limit on how many birds one breeder can entery into anyone show? i understand that there are levels but if i were to i dont know ...show in the open ....i can i have 12 birds showing or is it limited to so many in each level?

interesting, is there a limit on how many birds one breeder can entery into anyone show? i understand that there are levels but if i were to i dont know ...show in the open ....i can i have 12 birds showing or is it limited to so many in each level?

I have not heard of a limit. It costs here $0.50 per entry. I have seen many birds being entered by one breeder. You can only ever be in one class eg Novist, But you can enter in as many divisions as you like and have more than one bird in each division.

An example of a Divisions

Black Eyed Self

Greywing Darkwing

Clearbody

Lacewing

Dilute

Clearwing

Recessive Pied

Saddleback

Crested

Dark Eyed Clear

Fallow

Continental Clearflight/Dutch Pied

etc......

Would it be feasible/possible for a person who only breeds a few birds to successfully breed show birds? I mean, if they didn't have the space for a huge aviary but had a large indoor setup and say, less than ten birds, could they somehow still do well in showing birds if they started off with a few pairs from good stock?

Edited by eterri

Would it be feasible/possible for a person who only breeds a few birds to successfully breed show birds? I mean, if they didn't have the space for a huge aviary but had a large indoor setup and say, less than ten birds, could they somehow still do well in showing birds if they started off with a few pairs from good stock?

Yes they could Terri. They would have to have good birds to start with and the will power in deciding which offspring to keep and which to cull. But they could do well.

I bought two birds, paired them and in their first clutch was the chick that came 2nd in it's class.

About how much should someone expect to pay for their first pair?

The pair I speak of above the cock cost me $80.00au at auction and the hen cost me $30.00au direct from a breeder.

In hind sight I could have gotten a decent pair for $60.00 to $100.00 direct from a Breeder and saved some money.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Perhaps, Daz, you may like to talk about the points system of judging birds. A few people have commented that some show winners shown recently had what they perceived as "flaws" like flecking etc. When it comes to judging, flecking may not be seen so much as a flaw since the markings are only a part of the point score system in judging YES ? There being points for certain aspects of a bird when it is being judged.

I think, you Daz, may have some insight to share on that aspect.

Cheers Kaz

Arr this is where I show my true colours.... Honesty :)

I haven't got a clue on the point system. ;)

I have trouble understand it when one of my birds is penalised as a netfeather for not being correctly marked but Markings and Colouring doesn't come into nestfeathers (chicks that have fledge but haven't gone through their first moult) because they moult out.

But a flecked head wins the division. :D

I will though find out this information and will post it.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I can answer the points system thingy if you like.

There is a scale of points in judging of a show bird. It is a guide to the relevant importance of exhibition features.

TYPE

General conformation, including size, balance, deportment, condition, head size and shape, and depth and width of mask............................. 60 points

COLOUR

Quality of colour in body, ground areas and markings..........25 points

MARKINGS

Pattern and clear definition or absence as required by

variety standards .............15 points

** so if a bird has flecking (spots and marks on its head where it shouldn't be by the standard) but is pretty good in another area....it may well win over a bird that doesn't have flecking but is not quite as good in body or stance.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Bubbles

Thanks Bubbles. We all have something to offer and Learn :)

Edit: You got the standard :D Great. I just checked it and you were perfect.

Edited by daz

• Member ID:  2,626
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,460

A very interesting discussion, I really enjoyed reading it. Now to show my ignorance about show birds but is there a mutation or is it "Division" that is more coveted by Show people above others?

1. What does the stand mean (or posture) of the bird? How do you teach the birds to stand in the position for the judges? What is the correct posture to stand in when being shown?

2. We know we are supposed to feed our pet birds a well balanced diet of seed, pellets (if you chose), veggies, grains, fruits etc.. What do they do for the show bird? And why?

3. Do show birds have a lower life expectancy then our pet birds? Are all show birds considered of the English strain? or are their any American Show Bird Standard?

4. Cheek spots, throat spots what are they? How are they to appear on a winning bird?

5. What type of preparation grooming wise is needed right before the show? Is their any plucking of mismanaged feathers, throat spots, are the birds bathed before the show? How are the feathers kept in excellent condition?

6. Winners are expensive and valued as in any show program. Do these birds have special treatment at home? Separate aviaries, in smaller show cages so they don't get injured, etc... Show dogs are pampered in the sense that they don't want the dog to be injured or the hair damaged etc.. Are there the same precautions for show birds?

7. For show breeding program do you stud out the male or pay a studding fee if you have the hen? If so what can you expect to pay on the low, average and higher ends?

8. What mutuations are valued the most and why?

9. Is it true that certain genes are not favored in the show ring? Can you tell us what they are and why?

(okay I am questioned out for now (Laughing out loud) but I would love to know the answers some I do and some I don't) :P

Edited by lovey

• Member ID:  1,592
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  817
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,305

1. Where were the first budgie shows and in what country were the first show budgies bred? Were they in England and is that why sometimes show budgies are referred to as English? I read that the colder climate in England had something to do with their development - true or false?

2. Are budgie shows and clubs more common in Australia and the U.K. than the United States?

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l don't know much about showing budgies , so this might be a silly question but If your show budgie win do you get a cash prize ?

A very interesting discussion, I really enjoyed reading it. Now to show my ignorance about show birds but is there a mutation or is it "Division" that is more coveted by Show people above others?

With the shows I have been to, no not really. A normal bird as in Normal Blue or green is required more for breeding as it will assist in the pairing. That is why you will here breeders say pair an Spangle to a good normal. But Shows have the full arrange of Mutations.

Though having said that some breeder consintrate on particular breeds. I am leaning more towards the Spangle Variety.

how does one find their local club? can I as a none meber go to a show to see the birds showing?

The best way is to contact your Countries main organisation. eg Australian National Budgerigar Council, The American Budgerigatr Society, The World Budgerigar Organisation.... etc.

1. What does the stand mean (or posture) of the bird? How do you teach the birds to stand in the position for the judges? What is the correct posture to stand in when being shown?

This is breed ino the bird. The same as the other features..

2. We know we are supposed to feed our pet birds a well balanced diet of seed, pellets (if you chose), veggies, grains, fruits etc.. What do they do for the show bird? And why?

Show birds are feed the same basic feed but we demand a better quality seed that has a better nutricianal value. Different Breeders have different Water Management where by the birds are give suppliments such as Probotic, Vitamins, Calcium, and other mixes that are a closely keep secret. I use Apple Cider Vinagur to stop Mega. Some use Oranges to assist feather quality and shine. The chicks at hatching are fed a high Protien mix to assist growth, same as a body builder.

3. Do show birds have a lower life expectancy then our pet birds? Are all show birds considered of the English strain? or are their any American Show Bird Standard?

No not as a rule. Show birds are maintaned at a higher level. It would be far to say that the majority of pet birds live in a closed cage and feed seed and water. I know that doesn't happen with our members here. Many Breeders especially in England have Air conditioned and heated aviarys. Top Show Breeders spend a lot of time and money looking after their birds and the last thing they want is for the bird to have a short life. In the late 1800 birds were exported from Australia to Collectors around the world. In the beginning part of the 1900 this was stopped. England, Americain and Europe started to show their birds in competition and developed the birds in their own ways. During world war II England suffered badly in many areas. Food was a shortage and many breeders had to kill their birds so that the little seed that was availible could sustain a smaller population of birds. After WWII the english requested birds from Austrailia to restock the birds that they lost. Australia refuse to release birds in masses and so the British needed to find a way to increase the population. In breeding was done for this purpose. I believe that the total population of English Budgies can be traced back to 40 birds that were left after WWII. This inbreeding or line breeding cause the english bird to alter to the type you see today. In America and Australia this wasn't a problem. WWII didn't effect our population as bad and so we didn't consintrate highly on line breed until we saw the outcome from England. Austrailia and America have show birds as do many counries in the world. But the term English Budgie has stuck i some places to refer to a "Show Bird" Each Country has it's own Standards for show but I think they are very much the same. We have English and New Zealnad judges come to Australia to judge our "Nationals"

4. Cheek spots, throat spots what are they? How are they to appear on a winning bird?

Cheek and Throat spots are colourations on the feathers. Nearly all varieties are required to have 6 large round throat spots. (albions, lutions, recessive pieds.... etc are exampt) Throat spots are required to be a certain colour eg Greys and Greygreens are to be Grey.

5. What type of preparation grooming wise is needed right before the show? Is their any plucking of mismanaged feathers, throat spots, are the birds bathed before the show? How are the feathers kept in excellent condition?

The birds should be dressed before the show. This startes with the attention to damaged or broken feathers. Cutting them will intiate the process for the body to replace it. (Hopefully before the show) Closer to the show time The throat spots that are in the wrong place or too many are removed by cutting or lightly plucking. The birds is bathed in a mild shampoo. The birds that have white heads eg Normal blues hae baby powder dusted in there feathers to enhanse the white colour. in the last week leaing up to the show the birds are lightly srayed with a fine mist of water to encourage preaning that releases the natural oils in the feathers. So at the time of the show the bird is in the best condition. Obviously the birds need to be brough into Show condition which is different to breeding condition.

6. Winners are expensive and valued as in any show program. Do these birds have special treatment at home? Separate aviaries, in smaller show cages so they don't get injured, etc... Show dogs are pampered in the sense that they don't want the dog to be injured or the hair damaged etc.. Are there the same precautions for show birds?

They are pampered. Same as many valued pets. But most have a life with the other birds flying in the flights. It is only when the show time comes that the special treatment as above is done. They are placed in stock cages a week before the show to protect them and make it easier to handle. All the birds are feed well. The top show bird is well looked after but so is the birds that he/she came from.

7. For show breeding program do you stud out the male or pay a studding fee if you have the hen? If so what can you expect to pay on the low, average and higher ends?

That is a matter for the breeders. Some in club members usually do this for nothing. You still have to remember quarentine proceedures. 35 days for quarentine and then the breeding this process can take up to 3 months from the time the bird leaves the original breeder until it gets back. The original breeder can't use it until it goes back through the quarentine period on the way back. So with this you either take a chanace in losing a lot of birds by bringing in a desease or you just don't do it.

8. What mutuations are valued the most and why?

All birds of good quality are valued but good quality normals for breeding are always in demand.

There are two types of birds in show breeding. The stock bird that hatches the winners and the winners. The Stock bird may not win on the bench and the winners maybe terrible breeders.

9. Is it true that certain genes are not favored in the show ring? Can you tell us what they are and why?

Flecking is one. Flecking is when the frontal feathers have black markings. Flecked birds are penalised for not having clean frontals. Fleck birds though can give better head shapes. Offsprings from Flecked birds can be flecked themselves. It is a feature that is wanted in breeding but not on the bench. If you have a fleck bird you must make sure to have good recordes to track it. Another is the type II yellowface. The body colouring of many varieties must be solid. The bleed from a type II will fault this ruling. Type I is fine.

(okay I am questioned out for now lol but I would love to know the answers some I do and some I don't) :P

1. Where were the first budgie shows and in what country were the first show budgies bred? Were they in England and is that why sometimes show budgies are referred to as English? I read that the colder climate in England had something to do with their development - true or false?

I don't know where the first show was held. The reference on the "English Budgie" I address above.

2. Are budgie shows and clubs more common in Australia and the U.K. than the United States?

I can't tell you that. You might need to do some reseach Here is a start A.N.B.C. they might be able to give the numbers of clubs in Australia and then you will need to find out from other countries. I'd be interested to know.

l don't know much about showing budgies , so this might be a silly question but If your show budgie win do you get a cash prize ?

Some Clubs or organisations do give cash prices at the top level. I have seen one.

PR-054.jpg

PR-053.jpg

Here are some Troffies from the last Show I was at.

Question if the show birds are put into aviaries are they scared like many other birds that you add into a cage? When being shown they don't look scared? Are they tamed or trained or what (Laughing out loud) :P.