Sign in to follow this  
Guest brandel

Not Flying Right

Guest brandel

sorry if this is not in the right section. i just got a new boy on thursday and they cut his wings for me but they cut all 10 primarys and he is not flying right. our cage is 26 wide by 18 deep and he cant fly from one side to the other he dropes to the bottom. if he is out of his cage he can fly a distance and land smooth. do the 10 cut primarys couse him to not have short distance flying. please give your sujestions. :D

Guest brandel

so snowball was in the living room and took of to fly up to his cage and he flew up and then back he tryed it like 4 times and he went almost strate up and then back about 3 feet :D any ideas

I'm sorry they cut so many off each side...he got a bad wing trim. He is probably a little off-balance. Plus 26" isn't that great a distance, so I wouldn't worry about him not flying in the cage. All the wing feathers will give balance as well as allowing flight. Are there a lot of toys in the cage? Maybe he cannot fly from one end of the cage to the other without bumping into toys. Also you must remember if he was flying before the wing trim, it will take a few days for him to learn how to navigate without those feathers.

Guest brandel

he was a full flight bird at the pet store i moved the toys out of his way so he could fly. i am woryd that he will drop and hurt himself should i lower all the things in his cage his cage is 36" high so that is quite a drop?

You can lower things if you want, but budgies usually like the highest spots, so he may start hanging on the side of the cage near the top if there are no perches there. He should be able to navigate around the cage fine using his beak, and he will learn to balance again. It is out of the cage that I would be more worried, until he realizes he cannot fly and comes to depend upon you for all his transportation needs. :)

He is getting more flight out of the cage because he has more of a lift and in the cage he is not. He will adapt quickly and start to jump from perch to perch. I wouldn't worry to much and take Rainbow's advice :)

Edited by lovey

Guest brandel

that helps a lot thanks i was so worryed so should i space things close together so he can just hope and not fly from one thing to next?

no it is good exercise and trust me they learn how to hop far :). Like I said he will adapt and get the point quickly :) They are smart.

Guest brandel

poor snow ball has passed on :angel1: he went to fly or hop from one purch to the next and fell hard 36" he seemed okay but i was keeping an eye on him then he started acting funny and was very puffed up so i decited to take him to the vet and on the way there he passed away. the vet sayed that when he fell he broke a blood vesal and was bleeding internaly and there was nothing that could have been done even if he had been taking instintaly to the vet.

I am sorry for your loss. But 36" isn't very far. He would have to hit something hard. I am wondering if there might have been something else. A sickness that he has hiden that may have been the cause. My first bird died in 1 hour from looking ill to passing on. He ate some poisonous dried flowers we had in an arrangement.

I'm really sorry to hear this. :hap:

I'm sorry to hear about snowball. I think it was probably something that he had beforehand, because my budgie can't fly and she is constantly falling from the height of about 4 ft or so and she never gets hurt.

I once had a budgie who did die after he fell, but I think he had a heart attack which caused him to fall. Because he could fly and he was happily sitting on top of his cage and then suddenly he just fell off. He didn't fall that far, but when I picked him up he was alive, but floppy and scared. Then he just died in my hands. He was such a cute budgie. :hap:

Edited by Sailorwolf

I have to agree with Daz and Sailor when I read this I thought OMG he really had to hit hard and I can't see it logically happening. I believe there was an underlying reason not just the fall. I am so sorry for your loss and if it was the fall that was a freak accident nothing you could have prevented and it wasn't caused by the wing clip. Do know that. ((Hugs))