• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  825
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there all just wanted to poke my head in and say hi I am also a newbie and here is a picture of my budgies white one called winter and the blue/grey one is called stormy

budgies005.jpg

budgies010.jpg

• Member ID:  2,601
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  57
  • Achievement Points:  435
  • Birthday:  30/04/1975

Hi there! Winter and Stormy are beautiful birds. I have two greys and had a beautiful white boy until a few weeks ago - they're such pretty colours. :)

I found this site fairly recently too and am surprised at how much time I spend here poking around learning things I never knew I should've known - even after having pet budgies for 20 years!

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Welcome!!

• Member ID:  2,009
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  805

Hi and welcome. It's a great site.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

hi and welcome to the forums :P

winter and stormy are real cute , and yes l find this site really addicting , (Laughing out loud) :)

• Member ID:  2,883

Hi all thanks for the welcome, I am finding this site very helpfull, I haven't had the birds very long about a week I had 2 finches before that were given to me and they both died not sure why the first one went in its sleep in its nest and the other went a couple of weeks later not sure what happened as they both looked fine, anyway have always wanted budgies and my sister has had budgies a couple of years so I got a couple, I did want to tame them but they were more interested in each other than in me and I felt bad for them being in a small indoor cage so I moved them to a bigger outdoor cage and they are very happy in there, anyway I had a little success with taming them as they aren't really afraid of me I can get my hand in the cage and near them without them freaking out, they even get game enough to put one foot on my finger but thats as far as it goes hehehe, can anyone tell me is it okay to put sand in the bottom of there cage, I have newspaper in there at the moment but the wind seems to blow it around a bit and therefore the bottom of the cage will be hard to clean, also has anyone got any idea's on why winter doesn't want to fly in the cage stormy is a real show of and fly's all the time from one perch to another and around the cage but when it comes to winter getting around she will jump from one perch to another but she prefer's to climb everywhere else?

wow thats really long winded hehe sorry if i have bored anyone hope ya can help with my questions :wub:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hi all thanks for the welcome, I am finding this site very helpfull, I haven't had the birds very long about a week I had 2 finches before that were given to me and they both died not sure why the first one went in its sleep in its nest and the other went a couple of weeks later not sure what happened as they both looked fine, anyway have always wanted budgies and my sister has had budgies a couple of years so I got a couple, I did want to tame them but they were more interested in each other than in me and I felt bad for them being in a small indoor cage so I moved them to a bigger outdoor cage and they are very happy in there, anyway I had a little success with taming them as they aren't really afraid of me I can get my hand in the cage and near them without them freaking out, they even get game enough to put one foot on my finger but thats as far as it goes hehehe, can anyone tell me is it okay to put sand in the bottom of there cage, I have newspaper in there at the moment but the wind seems to blow it around a bit and therefore the bottom of the cage will be hard to clean, also has anyone got any idea's on why winter doesn't want to fly in the cage stormy is a real show of and fly's all the time from one perch to another and around the cage but when it comes to winter getting around she will jump from one perch to another but she prefer's to climb everywhere else?

wow thats really long winded hehe sorry if i have bored anyone hope ya can help with my questions :rolleyes:

Sand is fine. Try getting the white sand that is safe for childrens sandpits, not the builders sand kind. Its easy to brush away seed husks from the top layer of the sand too, so it's good for the base of your cage. Stormy may be indulging in some hormonal showing off by his flying behaviour or just plain happy to be in a bigger cage. Winter may be missing some flight feathers, so check her over just in case. Some people clip their birds too young as well and the youngsters don't learn to fly properly earlier on. Your finch that died in the nest may have been eggbound, especially if it was too young....happens sometimes as its hard to tell the ages of finches. If you are possibly using the same cage that the finches were in, its essential that the cage is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected just in case they had a disease that is transferable to the budgies.

Cheers karen

• Member ID:  2,883

thanks for that Karen the finches I had were atleast a few years old or atleast that is what I was told when I got them, and I have done all that with the cage and it was a couple of months inbetween when the finches died and when I got the budgies and I changed all the perches and my partner even painted the outside of the cage for me :rolleyes: the lady that I got the budgies from said that she hadn't clipped them and she does fly is she is frightened like when my 4yr old daughter walks over and squeeks at her which I have tried to stop, but she is 4 and she thinks she is talking to them hehe