• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,235
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  29/06/1979

Some of you might remember my budgie Gloria who I thought was egg bound but after taking her to the vet found out she had a hernia. Well anyway she has been spending her days for the last few weeks in a cage inside my aviary so Oliver her gorgeous fat boy of a lover (i must post a picture of him) cannot 'get' to her. I have now put up another aviary and was wondering of i didn't put nesting boxes in this aviary would it be okay to put Gloria and Oliver in there with other birds. The vet said that because of the hernia an egg cound not pass and it would probably kill her. He spends all day sitting on her cage talking to her through the bars. It just hurts me that she has to stay in a small cage when she can see the others flying around. Would Oliver be heartbroken if I was to move Gloria and leave him where he is. Heeheh this sounds like days of our lives. :blush:

If I put males and females in my new aviary but do not supply nest boxes, is it true that they will not breed. I have heard a few stories about egg laying on the ground tho. hmmmm bit confused. haha

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

No nesting boxes will stop the urge to raise babies ....usually. But it doesn't necessarily mean your pair wont have budgie sex and try to have babies / eggs etc. Who knows whats in a budgies mind? :blush: Has the vet said whether or not the budgies mating will cause her a problem as well...or just laying an egg ? She may well produce eggs just the same. It probably isn't worth the risk. It seems worse now as the male is so near to her in the cage and we all like to hear a "love story" ...it's romantic even when its budgies. Out of sight might be the best way to go here. They may call out to each other for awhile but it should stop and if he meets another girl....problem solved. You know your birds best and should come to the decision that works best for you and your birds. Good luck :)

• Member ID:  2,561
  • Followers:  0

The vet said the hernia will not allow the egg to pass. Therefore getting stuck. So I don't want to risk it. You are right I might just seperate them and see what happens over the next few days. Oliver also has a friend George (heheh) so maybe he will keep Olivers mind off Gloria. :blush: Thanks for your advice. :)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

could you give her a female friend? I would think that would be safer I would risk giving her a male friend. Pheobe here on the site couldn't get her 2 to stop laying at all even with no nest box.

• Member ID:  2,561

Yeah thats what i thought maybe i should put only females into the new aviary?