• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,285
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I'm very sorry to hear about the baby bird Kirby :wub:

I don't think that it's your fault. I think that it may have been one of those things. It wasn't getting fed and you thought you'd try to find a subsitute mother for the baby. The mother you chose didn't want to be chosen at that time. Unfortunately, she took it out on the baby. You tried to help with what you had. It would be worse if you hadn't tried to save it. Though, with the air escaping his chest, I seriously doubt that it would have made it no matter what you did.

I'm really very sorry about this, and let's hope that the other babies get taken care of better.

:wub: little pink blob.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  2,071
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  910
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,880
  • Birthday:  28/03/1961

It wasnt your fault Kirby. Newly hatched chicks are extremely hard to hand rear. I have been doing it for years and I still have problems, so dont go blaming yourself. You did your best. Try and use an eye dropper next time instead of a syringe. I find I have more control it you are able to feed the chick a drop at a time. They need to be able to swallow their food gradually. :angel1:

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Kriby it wasn't your fault, you did what you could, if I was in your shoes I would have moved the little one to the other nest as well with fingers crossed things would work. You did your best that's all that can be asked.

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

Oh Kirby (((((((HUGS))))))))

I am so sorry to hear this... I hope all goes well with the rest of your babies. :wub:

:wub: lil baby

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

You did the best you could, Nathan, under scary circumstances and with the best of intentions and with a caring and loving heart. :angel1: Not your fault. With these experiences comes learning and knowledge, but life throws us curved balls, like with Ariel. You weren't to know she would be like that. Just because she was this time and just as Belle was unsure of what to do with "this" baby, doesn't mean they will repeat the behaviour with the next chick. I had a mum that did that with two first babies and was a brilliant mother for the others born after. I was lucky enough to have a choice of mothers that I could put the unfed babies to. I have tried handfeeding very young babies and it has to be the hardest thing in the world to do and to get right. Add to that the stress you feel knowing that their life is in your hands....can be a lot to bear. Your little one was here for a moment but she/he knew LOVE :angel1: Don't weigh yourself down with guilt, just move on and hope for better things :wub:

PS I would have done exactly what you did.

Edited by Bubbles

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

I just rtead this Kirby. i am sorry for your loss. You should have another chick hatching tomorrow or the next day. I would leave it in the nest for a couple of hours if you check and find that it is not being fed. Make up the mixture to the recommended dose and temperature. Dip your fingure in and let a drop or two on to it's beak. It should start to feed. Do this for about 5 to 10 drops, don't rush. Then put it back in the nest. Do this every hour until the hen starts to feed it.

All the best.

Oh try a couple of bread squares, 2 cm square, soaked in milk with a little sugar sprinkled on to it. Get this to the hen, it's supposed to help bring on the crop milk.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I had a similar experience when i bred Lilly and Sandy last year, they weren't feeding their youngest baby. I got a tiny little spoon and fed it about 2-3 drops of watered down egg and biscuit mix, that filled her up just enough to call for food but her parents still didn't feed her, i put her in Buzz's nest box and lucky Buzz and Gherkin took care of her - they already had a few babies though so didn't mind one extra baby. I'm really sorry that you lost your little one. :wub:

• Member ID:  1,930
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,440
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  10,220

Thanks guys

Daz...il try that bread soaked in milk with suger on it. Does it reallt work?

I felt like i was god, choosing who dies and who doesnt. He was seriously injured (VERY BRUSED, his whole wing and body were black :( )...but he was eating! I felt soo happy...then all of a sudden my mom was like "oh no! Wheres his heartbeat :( ". Baby 2 shoul be here tomrow, but i have a felling it will hatch early morning tonight like the other did as its HUGE (i candled him to make sure hes okay)... Im at school from 7:45am-4:30pm mon-friday...Since this baby will be born on friday during school.. wish it was other way around as in i wish he was bron on friday night so i could have the weekend to feed him every coiuple hours. Would feedig him at 7am, 4:30pm, 7pm, and 11pm be enough to at least get him crying enogh for Belle to feed him/her? Its a 9hour gap from 7:45pm-4:30pm...

Kirby :) Lets hope baby 2 is better off :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I ditto what everyone said ((hugs))

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

So sorry Nathan. Glad to hear you got the hand feeding mix. I really hope she will start to feed the next baby, but just in case you will be ready. I would be scared to put one in with Ariel again. Hopefully you can feed it until it chirps loud enough for mommy instinct to kick in and she can take over. And who knows - maybe it won't be necessary.

Let's hope!

• Member ID:  2,155
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  1,162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  7,840

Aww Nathan, I'm truely sorry hear that the poor little tige didn't make it. :P You did your best and take comfort in knowing that the little one did know love and felt love the short little time that it was here with you.

{{{Hugs}}} so sorry hun.

Baby #2 is here!!! :D

It started hatching before i went to school at 7:45am this morning...Then i came home and hes fully out of sheel crying away. I made up some mix and took him out to feed him. All was well..except!!! He was opening his beak!!! :P:( :( How can i mkae him open it? Then as soon as i put him in the nest he yawned a HUGE yawn... Then snapped a peice of shavings by accident in his lil mouth. But wouldnt open it for the mix... It was kinda getting cold so i heated it up a bit...but hes was starting to get cold so i put him back under Belle for a buit to keep warm. PLEASE HELP GUYS!!! HOW CAN I MAKE HIM WANT TO BE FED!!! He is probably 3 hours old..or maybe 2 and a half hours old not really sure...Belle isnt feeding him, nor is Kirby but they are keeping him warm...and the bread soaked in milk sprinkled with suger isnt too apatizing as neither Kirby nor Belle have ate any :(

Kirby

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BABY 2 IS BEING FED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(:D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His lil crop is big now...So i bet Belle fed him as soon as i put him back in the nest!!! :D :D :D

Kirby :P

• Member ID:  2,071
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Content Count:  910
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,880
  • Birthday:  28/03/1961

Thats fantastic news Kirby!!!!! Yipeeeeeeee!!! I am so happy for you!!!! Told you everything would work out fine. Sometimes it takes the mother a few hours to feed their bubs, so dont panic so much! Have a great day at school!!! :P:(

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l'm sorry for your loss :(

l'm so glad to hear that your 2nd baby is being fed :P

Hey guys...

Baby 2 is doing great! Crop still has food in it...beeing sat on well. Im just worried as Belle is sitting VERY snug on him, and i have a feeling *** have splayed legs :( But thats fixable with Kazza's makeup sponge technique :( Hopefully... Iv decided on names by the way!!!!

Id like to Introduce you to Abba!!! Which means 'born on thursday' (which he was) in aborigional names :( He's a lil charmer i tell ya...(see food in crop?)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/pet.../MVC-002F-2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/pet.../MVC-003F-2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/pet.../MVC-012F-1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/pet.../MVC-004F-3.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/pet.../MVC-007F-3.jpg

Then about school...ive been home for 3 hours now...and its 6:15pm right now. Someone is ocming over to buy my 15g saltwater fish tank at 8:00pm...and im watchin 'Survivor" the show at 8pm once the guy leaves. As for school tomrrow..im really not feeling well (ive had a bad cold the past 8 days or so, but its really getting bad now... my mom said i look terrible tonight, and i feel very sore, tired, and exhusted (ive done nothin to make me sore excpet waling home from school) so its weird. But its becuase my immune system isnt that great at the moment as im on hardcore medicine. So i want to stay home tomrrow...and sleep, and watch for baby and make sures hes safe. And just htought id note i didnt even think this guy would hatch today as its only day 17...and the other one hatched day 17 to :P weird eh! Both under the normal time...

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Oh great news Nathan. You have wanted a successful clutch for so long now. Good luck on the rest. Abba is adorable!

Your so right about wanting a healthy clutch for over 2 years now...So i hope it gets better now and the remaining 6 eggs hatch, and all 7 fledge healthy :P

Im going to go check on baby, and clean my room as the guy coming for the fish tanks comes in an hour...and ive got to clean my room, clean the tank a bit, walk my dog, vacum, and get things ready to give to the guy whos buying the tank... Ill be back on in about 2 hours probably... Bye guys!

ps- Does everyone like the name Abba or no? I dont but i know it will grow on me...and its funny becuase he was born on Thursday (which is today)... :(

Kirby :(

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Kirby I want you do to some thing very difficult... Leave them alone now for a day. With out looking. It will give the hen a chance to come to terms with feeding.

Yesterday morning I lost a 5 days old chick. It was the 2nd of 4 that hatched. I don't know why, it was well feed as where the others. The fifth was born yesterday afternoon about 5 ish. I've let the hen deal with it and this morning it was well fed as the others.

I big rule is that nature can look after it self (Quote from Jurasic Park). We only need to be there in case there is a hick up :P

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Gald to hear little Abba is doing well :P Seems even Belle has learnt something from the last time.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

YAY Abba !!! All looking good now Kirbs, I agree with Daz, leave em in peace for awhile till parents get the hang of it. Just look at the nesting box and push positive thoughts in there. Leave it shut for awhile. You get well and stop worrying so much. :P

Yay thanks!!!

Abba is FAT!!!!!!!!! Belle is feeding him like theres no tomrrow!! :( :( :D Very snuggly with the fellow eggs...and Belles being great to him :P There was air in his crop before, but its now gone :D ... Thanks for all your advice...and im going to do what you suggest...as i know Belle would appreciate not seeing me, and baby would be more ocmforyable in a dark nest for a while...until baby sister hacthes :D :D :D (Laughing out loud)

Kirby :(

Edited by Kirby

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Yeah Kirbs, I agree leave them I know you are excited but all new parents need an adjust period and quiet time :)