Going into the nest box But not in Condition

Guest maltabudgie

Guest maltabudgie

Sky(if it is a she cause i thought it is a male) is all the time in a nest box which she made her's. The problem is that she is not in the condition as her cere is nearly white when it is supposed to be very dark brown. Sky looks to be paired with a budgie i think is a she as well 'Polly'(which has a pinkish cere). Now Polly feeds her as well!

Any idea what is they are doing? i am confused :blink::D:wacko::unsure:

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Polly is a boy. Some colours in budgies make the males have a pick cere instead of dark blue. The most know is the lutino (all yellow). Umm and it does sound as if Polly and sky are paired up and possible getting ready to start family making. Do you only have to the two? Cause if so I would just take the box out if you don't think it is the right time for her to breed. If not well you could take them out and away from the boxes.

If you can put some pics up it would help greatly to work out the gender of the two.

Edited by nerwen
Guest maltabudgie

in that cause i will start calling him paul as it is nearest to polly! he is all white exept for his chest as it is light blue. i will try to take pics. thanks for now!

Guest epiphany

Some pics would be very helpful. You said that you put a nest box in, so obviously you want to breed. It sounds like they are both male, if one's cere is white and the other's is pink.. I'm not sure about Sky. She could either be too young or male, I'm not really sure.

Try and get some pics up, and just see where it goes. Do you want them to breed? If you don't, take the nest box out as almost 100% of the time budgies will not successfully breed without a box.

If you're not sure if Sky is old enough/ready to breed, check the ring on her leg. It should tell you what year she was born.

Guest epiphany

The ring.. I can't think of what to call it, ring might be right or wrong.

The ring is the round tab thing that goes around the budgie's foot. Some budgies have them, some don't, but it's worth checking out anyway, just in case.

• Member ID:  70
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

yes i call them rings mine have my own personal code on them,the year they were born, and a number so i can look back at my records and know to the exact date when the eggs were laid and when the bird hatched also which were its parents ect

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Bands would be easier - very few budgies are banded here anyway - so it's all in my head. :blink:

Au contraire, oscarchik - :blink::unsure:

only the expensive birds have bands...

Just make a few trips to the vet...suddenly your unbanded budgie is VERY expensive!! :lol::lol:

Guest oscarchik101

yeah i know... thats not what i meant. i meant big parrots like macaws and cockatoos. most of the tiels i see dont even have bands. the conures do though...

and believe me, i've been to the vet SEVERAL times.

you should never buy a bird without a ring on really unless you really trust the person you are buying from as you can not be sure of the age

I know what you really meant oscarchik - I was just being silly. :unsure:

I agree hath, but I don't think I've ever seen a budgie for sale over here that was banded, except for a pair of exhibition budgies that was in one of the local pet stores. The regular 'pet budgies' aren't banded. I have a pretty fair idea of the ages of Rainbow and Skittles, but only because I know what to look for when purchasing one. But you are right-I don't really know their exact ages. There aren't any local breeders that I'm aware of, and the pet stores don't give out their exact source (I've asked) so we've no choice. I tried to get their hatch dates when I bought them, but was told that was impossible. Other birds however are regularly banded, which I never could figure out why. The size of the bird doesn't seem to matter, as lovebirds are banded and they are smaller. I think it's because people generally think of budgies as 'beginner birds' or 'throwaway birds' (YIKES!) and as being so common that they just don't band. Plus it is not required. :blink:

its not required over here but i would think that at least90% of budgies are ringed

here in australia most pet shop budgies are not banded but if bought from a bird dealer or a breeder they are. i have 32 with club rings, which is better coz u can see how old they are. i am going to put bands on the babies that are hatching this week, my fist batch-how exciting

i think they are comfortable as the birds dont show any signs of discomfort. it is just a small metal band placed low down on the leg. even the babies dont seem to notice its even there.

miriam :bluebudgie: