New Member Of My Flock - Twisted Leg Budgie

Guest Tweet007

Guest Tweet007

Hi everyone,

Well, Martin the Warrior has settled in nicely in my with my kids. He's super hand-tamed now and quite a happy addition to our home.

Yesterday, we went to look at another parakeet for another family member. She fell in love with this stunningly beautiful burrie - kinda sorta aqua with green/yellow highlights on his chest - it reminds me of irridescence.

He's not as tame as Martin, and demonstrated his displeasure with me by trying to saw thru the skin between my thumb/first finger. As he didn't break the skin, I didn't react, and he soon got bored of that as I tickled behind his ears and murmured to him and all those good thingees you can do with burries. :-)

I noticed he had zero interest of stepping onto a finger or a perch...but he was okay with being picked up. It was then I noticed his right foot is kind of twisted (but he can contract his toes). He doesn't seem to be able to stand up normally yet...he's about 10 weeks old.

The lady who had him was very forthcoming about Mattie and had wondered if anyone would find him attractive with his leg that way (apparently lots of people want typical healthy parakeets :-) ).

Now, I have troubles with my ankles...and so you can guess that immediately, I was attracted to Mattie. Such a determined little birdie! He wasn't clipped prior to my coming so that's probably why he didn't have much reason to stretch out/exercise his leg (he could fly to whatever he wanted). While there, we spent half an hour in the bathroom gentling Mattimeo (bathrooms are my favorite spots for one on one birdieTraining, at least in the very beginning). And then we began the loooong drive home.

Onto my questions! :-)

1.) I bought a roll of twine yesterday and spent some time braiding ropes from which to hang toys, beads, etc. I'd like to give Mattimeo interest in using his twisted leg to strengthen it, and thought if I put a rope that starts at the bottom of the cage and increases in height via an inch at the other end, that might make a good climbing ladder. Any suggestions regarding this?

2.) I'm keeping Martin and Mattie in separate cages for now, but will consider letting them see and talk to each other. My kids' concerns is that if they do that, they'll totally ignore the bonding that was started 2 days ago with Martin. I think if the interaction is limited (ie, when we're not home the cages could be next to each other) that shouldn't cause an immediate regression. Comments?

3.) Birdie weightlifting! :-) I know parrots love holding one toy in their foot and beaking it...do parakeets do the same thing? If so, I can make little birdie dumbbells that are light enough to be flung about by Martin or Mattie. Useful idea?

In closing, both birdies have charm aplenty...and I think I can give Mattie a super life where a twisted leg is simply just there...and not an encumberance. Suggestions, of course, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Barbara

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Aww poor Mattie :ausb: I'm glad you where willing to take him on anyway. At this age the leg will not improve sometimes when the baby is still in the nest a leg problem can be fixed before the bones set. But all you talked about will help in him mantaining the use he has now. Different shapes and thickness of branches and the use of rope for different feel and balacnew ill halp all budgies excerise their feet.

There are toys out there on the market that look like little dumbbells I haven't seen any used, budgies wil kick about the little balls with the bells in them.

Did these two come from the same place? If not a quantine period is needed of at least a month. SO you can monitor behaviour for any signs of sickness. The stress of a new place and weaken them enough for a disease they where fighting off to get the upperhand. I would also think of doing this anyway to get the bond strong with the human side of the family.

I must say you seem to be doing a wonderful job on the taming side of things :ausb:

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Can you take a picture of the leg it sounds like it may have been splayed at birth and not possibly corrected. There may still be time for correction with the right method. But a picture is best.

Always quarantine for 30 days, this makes sure both birds are not carrying any underlying illness that we can't see with the human eye (and they do), along with continuing to bond. If you put them together now your 1st one may loss interest and your 2nd one since he is not super tamed yet will definitely bond with the 1st one. 30 days is suggested avian vets suggest 90 days because of megabacteria.

Some budgies use their feet to play others don't it is not as common in them as in bigger birds. Most don't hold a toy or food in 1 foot like the bigger parrots. Pretty will use his foot to grab a toy to hold it for a short second but not for a long period of time.

Sounds like everything is going :)

Guest Tweet007

Hi! I'll try to get pictures soon.

Mattimeo is one rather unique birdie. He *loves* burrowing into my clothing (or any dark place). I put on a second shirt over my first one so he'd get a good hold...and he's been perched on the right side of my chest now for half an hour. I figure in a bit I will take him out and see if he can be interested in exploring more of the environment - maybe make him a shoebox maze or something.

Has anyone else seen burrowing parakeets?

Best wishes,

Barbara

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

To me it looks like the result of broken toes that have set in a new position. Doesnt appear to be splay legged at all. Just a funny foot. He should be fine. Seems to be coping well enough on a perch. But you could put some flat perches in if it seems necessary. By the way, pleased to "meet" you....I am Karen alias Bubbles. :)

Guest Tweet007

Hi Karen,

To me it looks like the result of broken toes that have set in a new position. Doesnt appear to be splay legged at all. Just a funny foot. He should be fine. Seems to be coping well enough on a perch. But you could put some flat perches in if it seems necessary. By the way, pleased to "meet" you....I am Karen alias Bubbles. :blush:

Thanks for the comment!

I do have an update. Mattimeo was trying to burrow into my cupped hand which was on my chest, so his twisted leg stuck out. I took a chopstick and gently tried seeing if the toes could contract - they did! It might be he has a week leg and is not used to gripping normally. So I figure if I let him open/close his foot around the chopstick also rotate said chopstick while he's holding it to stimulate the nerves, perhaps he'll regain active use of it.

A data point,

Barbara

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I think your budgie is the luckiest budgie in the world to have found you as his owner :) You seem to have it all together and he can only improve in leaps and bounds with your caring attitude and budgie physio :P Best of luck.

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

What a lucky budgie to have you. Keep us posted on his progress. He is a fine looking budgie - great colour!!!!

I would think a she because the cere is light bluish but the flash could have washed it out. Take a picture without flash and toward the camera.

She/He would be a Type 2 Yellow Face Normal

Looking good on the perching

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,551
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  910
  • Birthday:  07/11/1991

Wow! his toes look better already.

Keep up those chopstick exercises :sport:

how is this little one doing?

Guest Tweet007

Morning,

Mattimeo is doing simply peachy. I think his leg is allaround weak - at least now he can perch a weee bit normally.

I recently got a circular dog toy from the dollar store that has fabric in the middle; I clipped that to the top of the cage and Mattie now uses that as his roosting perch. It's quite cute! Here's a picture:

http://www.lingstar.com/images/perch.jpg

(let me know how the colors came out - I had to photoshop it a bit so ignore the blue room you might see. The parakeet colors seem to be okay).

We regularly take almost all budiges out in the morning (I now have a rescued budgie who is rather fearful of hands) and put them on the kitchen table so they can enjoy their pellets and breakfast. They're taking to pellets pretty well!

Thanks for asking

Barbara

Edited by daz

good to hear what cuties :P

:D Hi, Mattimeo is very sweet and lucky you took him in. My aunt had a budgie with a deformed, weak foot called Tippy and he was just fine. :P:P Your other guy is sweet as well.
Guest Tweet007

Morning,

My flock has grown!

Last week, two new birdies have become members of the Ling Flock. First off is my peregrin falcon, Sir Rowen:

rowen.jpg

He's 1/2 English, 1/2 American. What colour would you call him? Over here across the pond, I've never seen such a budgie before. He's a solemn chap.

And I was given Snow! Must get pictures, but Snow appears to be a red-eyed white spangled runner. Her feathers and toes grow in quite weirdly, and her beak continuously overgrows. I clipped the ragged tail feathers and gave her her own cage. Instead of clinging to the floor, she now happily perches halfway in the branch in her cage! I've even heard her make some happy noises towards my other birdies as well.

She has pretty poor foot-holding capacity, so I can carry her, cupped in my hands...but she'd fall off if I put her on my shoulder (so I won't even try that).

Mattimeo, my other handicapped birdie, is doing just peachy, as are the other 6 members of my flock. I did have to rename one of them, who was earlier called HD....he had been a cage bird for years and is quite afraid of people. One day, he climbed outside the cage (I always have the cage doors open in my living room) and I had to bring him back eventually. This action earned him the new intials "LP"; he grabbed hold of the skin between my thumb/forefinger and just wouldn't let go. My kids were transfixed by this action (more so by the fact mommy still smiled and talked happily to the birdie as she was being gnawed to pieces).

Oh, and LP? It stands for "Land Pirahna". :-)

Enjoy,

Barbara

Edited by **Liv**

Sir Rowen is a cute I love him he looks like a falcon, his eyes are black yes? I would say he would be a cinnamon and the body looks diluted to a light blue?

Snow are her the eyes red or plum? If they are red it could be a fallow (a picture would really help though) to decifer what Snow is, or an ino or a lacewing.

I would love to see more pictures of your rescues and set ups how wonderful it must be :D to know you are helping out these little ones. :P

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Hi barbara, Your peregrin Falcon is a cinnamonwing ???? cant see the colour well enough for my eyes.

Have you quarentine the birds. If you haven't heard of quarentine, click on the links in my signature to is how and why. :D

Snow sounds a bit of a worry to me that she might have what is know as beak and feather disease. Is there an avain vet in your area that you could take her too for a check?

Rowan is a cutiepie, and the name is perfect for him.

Guest Tweet007

Hi!

Snow sounds a bit of a worry to me that she might have what is know as beak and feather disease. Is there an avain vet in your area that you could take her too for a check?

Rowan is a cutiepie, and the name is perfect for him.

I received Snow from a store specializing in parrots; upon being asked, I was told, the bird had seen a vet and told BFD was not the reason. So long as Snow is not contagious, I'm happy she's a member of my flock (although she will always have a separate cage for her own security).

As I'm working right now in the morning (it's 5:34am), I can look over and see Mattimeo happily perched on his hammock that I made him. He always roosts there in the evenings. :-)

And thanks about the name of Sir Rowan - I chose that name as the rowan tree is considered sacred in many of articles I've read regarding Stonehenge. The Standing Stones are one of my interests.

Best wishes,

Barbara

good to hear that :budgiedance: You take such great care of your birds I'm sure they all think they are in heaven :)