Hand Feeding a baby

Guest maltabudgie

Guest maltabudgie

I would like to hand feed the baby birds but i don't know when shall i start what i give them and how

Any help?

I read somewhere that this will make a good bond between me and this chicks as i would like to tame them.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I personally think that with budgies it is best if the parents raise them. There will be no difference in how the babies will bond to you. I found that they got used to me while they were in the nest box. Once they came out, since they were used to being handled some anyway, they were not afraid at all.

I bought some handrearing formula after Skittles laid 7 eggs because I thought that was a lot of eggs and if they had all hatched I was worried they wouldn't get fed enough. But I never had to use it, as my birds ended up being great parents for their first time. :blink:

Guest oscarchik101

seems like that would be a LOT of work, and mine tamed own fine - they're from a petshop which buys like in bulk (petsmrt and petco). if it were me, i dont think i would bother

I started when they were fully feathered-about 3 weeks. Before I would clean out the box, I would just put my hand in and let them look at it. There's always one fearless bird who starts tasting your fingers right away, then there is always one who hides his face in the corner, thinking you will disappear. Other's start to scream. :blink: I would just touch them at first, then make a circle with my thumb and fingers around them. If they jumped out I left them alone, if they sat there I'd pick them up an inch or two off the box floor. I always talked to them even before I started to clean out the box, and when I checked on them twice a day I'd talk to them with the top open. They get used to your voice, and soon know who you are. When some of the birds were old enough to have left, the one's who were still in and looking out I would pick up and hold over the cage so they could see where everyone was. :wacko: Then I'd put them back.

Edited by Rainbow