Effects Of An Early Wingclip?

Guest Ainon

Guest Ainon

Some days ago I got a new budgie, she's (? I'll call her she now) 12-16 weeks old and she's been wingclipped

I bought her at a local petshop, the reason she's wingclipped is because she's been sold one time before but they turned her back (and aparantley the gave her a clip while they had her).

It's not a very good clip, she can't fly at all, just jump/flutter to the hight of acout 10cm/4 inches of the ground. If she's high up and tries to fly she falls straight down at the floor (I don't have her high above the ground bacause of that)

I've never had a young budige clipped (or young parrot of any kind), she's just a baby! The only experiance I have with clipping bugies is when I was forced to clip Bug when he broke his wing.

How can this early hard wingclip affect her?

Anyone with experience?

How long time du you think it's before she can fly?

Do you think I should clip my other budgie as well since she try to take of when he start to fly?

I'm so afraid she'll hurt herself :D

I don't really want clipped budgies, I love having them flying around.

Here you se how much they clipped her. All her primaries are gone :grbud:

175927.jpg

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Merlin was wing clipped very early too - I know at least under 12 weeks

It won't affect her too much once she has her first moult her flights will start to come back in.

Merlin is going through a 1st moult and he just got is flights back and he is doing great. He just has to learn where he has to go and not fly into walls.

Your other one shouldn't be clipped if you don't want to because he will teach her how to fly and get around.

Your clipped one will learn he can't get very far very fast (Laughing out loud) - Merlin did. And the short flight that they have will excerise their wings and he will get more and more lift.

So I wouldn't be worried.

Guest pixie25

As Lovey said i wouldnt worry too much, if she's 12 weeks old she will soon be starting her first moult anyway, and her new flights will grow through in no time at all :P

then after that it is up to you whether you decide to keep a few of her primaries trimmed or not.

If possible try and avoid letting her crash on her chest - that can be very dangerous for her if she falls heavily from a height, anything from feather cysts to broken keel bones, so just be aware of that.

Guest Mandie

Stitch was clipped from very very young (before his first moult anyway) the only real problem he had was one feather grew back crooked in the first moult but he fixed it himself.

After a while she'll figure out not to jump off high places and the good part of the clipping is they're more reliant on you so if you're wanting to tame her now is the right time to do that before the feathers grow back.

At least it's not a permanent thing, she'll be up and flying around in no time :)

Guest pixie25
if you're wanting to tame her now is the right time to do that before the feathers grow back.

At least it's not a permanent thing, she'll be up and flying around in no time :(

Yeah i agree with that - i had casper trimmed before his first moult so i could tame him and because it would be safer for him while he got used to the house etc.

a lot of people choose to trim before the first moult so that it only lasts a few weeks and they can get a head start on taming, and then if you do a good job while they're young there isnt always a need to trim them when they're older. :D

Edited by pixie25
Guest eterri

Doesn't look like a bad clip at all as far as which feathers were cut and how many. She probably just didn't have time to really develop those muscles and that's why she falls so far. A lot of people don't realize that sometimes a clip that works for one bird doesn't work for the others. I've even had birds do great on a particular clip only for them to start falling too fast later on. It's a weird and delicate thing to deal with but as long as she isn't crashing hard and you're careful with her, she'll be fine.

This is a great time to really bond with her, use it to your advantage. :D I can understand why you prefer flighted budgies, but she hasn't been hurt in any way and she will be just fine in the end. She'll be able to start flying a bit with just a couple of flights grown in.

Guest Ainon

The thing is that she's crashing very hard.

I decided to clip the male to since whenever he fly away she tries to (no she havent learned that yet and she's been clipped for at least 1,5 weeks). But ofcourse I didn't clip him that hard, he doesnät crash into the floor if he tries to fly.

I only had the options to separate them or clip the other budgie to, and I chose te secound opinion since they really love eachother and I'm sure Bug would trade away his flight-ability to be with Cricket.

• Member ID:  1,744
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  235
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

My little guy Omlet was like that too when I got him. Very young, didn't know how to fly, he would plummet to the ground everytime he tried to fly. I was worried that he would never learn frankly hahaha. So during my training, I made sure that he was in a quiet bathroom with just me so he usually wasn't frightened enough to fly away. After his moult, he did learn how to fly though and now the little bugger is faster than any of my other budgies, (Laughing out loud).