New Budgie...whats All This Body Language Mean?

Guest Laura Wine

Guest Laura Wine

Hi,

I'm new here. Great website, I am learning soooo much :rip:

I just brougt this little him/her home last night. I havent had a budgie since I was a kid. I think I will name this little guy/girl Flash.

budgietz0.png

Anyways...I wonder if someone can tell me what it means when a bird closes his eyes when you talk to him...almost like he's asleep. He was also opening his bill and wiggling his tongue this morning when I talked to him....and made little clicky noises with his beak.

Just wondering how to read his body language, I dont want to scare the little darling.

Also, and guesses on sex?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

You can go to www.budgietalk.com excellent information on taming, caring for your budgie and more.

Personally it sounds like she is comfortable with you which is a very good thing. You can also do the same by closing your eyes and blinking slow this shows your budgie you are not a predator but a friend.

Guest Laura Wine

Thank you Lovey! I have never noticed it before, like my coos made him sleepy, but his eyes would open back up when I quit talking to him. I also got him to step up :rip: What a little honey...I'm in love

they can do that to you

quiet in the wild means predator so the talking is soothing and to him it is like another bird cooing him. So when you stop he becomes alert making sure there is nothing there to harm him. When you leave or if it is quiet in your home play soft music it helps them relax.

Pretty was a sole budgie for almost a year and I always left music on and even with the two now I still do if the house quiets down or when we leave.

Security is big for birds.

• Member ID:  1,938
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,201
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,740

He is very cute little guy :rip:

Guest Laura Wine

Thanks so much for the tips and information Lovey. I like the birdtalk site :rip:

Wish I had left the radio on for the little guy/girl. My house is sooo quiet during the day.

Your two darlings are adorable. Is there a certain type of music they seem to like best?

well I like country so that is what they listen too (Laughing out loud) but everyone has a different preference really as long as there is background noise they will be okay. :rip:

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Flash is a very pretty little male/female ? and obviously is comfortable with you as he/she is not demonstrating fear in your presence. I always leave the music on for my birds, I just go middle of the road soft rock/pop but my landlord swears they like country and western better! :rip: Don't think it really matters to them. :D

Guest WoodieCloud315

Awwww he or she is a cute little stinker! (Laughing out loud) Yes it's a good idea to leave sounds on as they are sensitive to too quiet. I guess they become tense with quiet thinking that some other big, horrible thing is out to get them. Mine like classical music and apparently they love the AC! So yes, keep some music on when you're gone so they feel better about your being gone. Makes them feel safe and comfortable.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum. I think Flash is a boy. If you have only had him for a day, the closing of his eyes could also be due to him being a little afraid. Kind of like "if I close my eyes maybe this person will go away" or "if I can't see them they can't see me"... Not that there is anything wrong with you :ausb: I think it is a normal behavior for a new bird. :D They are like toddlers emotionally.

It sounds like he is settling in pretty quickly if he was talking back to you this morning. That's always a nice thing.

Guest Laura Wine

Thanks ya'll, I appreciate the advice and encouragement, thanks for the warm welcome :rolleyes: Thanks for the sex guess Rainbow!

(Laughing out loud)< yeah, he was probably closing his eyes to make me go away.

I am trying my usual pop station on very low. He can also hear the birds outside (I live on a farm).

I came home last night (about 24 hours after bringing him home) to find him sitting in the food dish. He jumped out. When I opened the door to work on the step-up training, he jumped back into the food dish (hung on the open door)...my face and hands right beside him, and proceeded to eat with wild abandon. I noticed the seed/pellet mix is 1/2 wasted...he just picks out the "good stuff"...maybe I should have called him bulldoser beak.

I offered a pitted fresh cherry...he almost tried it. He ignored the couple of fresh spinish leaves I clipped to the side of the cage.

This morning I opened the door and he jumped to the floor :huh: he tested the carpet and played on my shoe. The encouraging thing, he was content to explore inches from my face. I picked him up to return to the cage after a few minutes and recieved my first birdy bite. It didnt hurt at all. Once in the cage, he sat on my finger for about 5 minutes. This time I had to get him to step off...oh, and he gave me his first chirp when sitting on my finger.

Don't mean to ramble too much, but he is soooo cute. I look at your profiles and notice everyone seems to have more than one budgie. (Laughing out loud), I can understand why. They're all so beautiful.

Budgies if given the opporunity will only eat the seed they want it is usually the millett in the mixture. To help avoid waste and a fat budgie feed them rationally they really only need 2 teaspoons of food a day, along with a mixture of veggies and fruits as a treat. You can hop over to the nutritional forum for more ideas and questions :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  1,796
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  894
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,145
  • Birthday:  04/04/1978

hiya, Flash is gorgeous - he looks just like my Oscar!! as for shutting his eyes and clicking his beak i think he is enjoying you talking to him. Oz does the same and its very cute!

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

What a gorgeous budgie Flash is. I think Flash is a he. More pics please. He really is darling!!

Guest Laura Wine

Okay, Flash is a boy :wub: So far it's unanimous. I appreciate the tips!

He continues to make himself at home. He found the swing last night and spent the night on it. So far he is pretty well silent...only one tiny chirp once. He flew out last night and explored the room again...this time I put his cage on the ground and he jumped back inside of it on his own.

I will take some more pictures tonight ((Laughing out loud), I feel like a new mom)

Cheeky- Flash does look alot like your Oscar...do you have more pics?

Lovey, than you so much for the solid advice! I will check out nutrition threads!

Wow Shawna, what a beautiful flock you have!...(Laughing out loud), Wylie looks almost day-glo green...is he really that bright?

Now that I have seen so many beautiful variations of budgies...umm, I am tempted to get more....aghhhhhhhh, how does one choose only 1 budgie? They are all amazingly beautiful.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

:wub: I can't see the picture now, but he does sound a cuite. and I love the name :)

Welcome to the site

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

I will take some more pictures tonight ((Laughing out loud), I feel like a new mom)

Wow Shawna, what a beautiful flock you have!...(Laughing out loud), Wylie looks almost day-glo green...is he really that bright?

Now that I have seen so many beautiful variations of budgies...umm, I am tempted to get more....aghhhhhhhh, how does one choose only 1 budgie? They are all amazingly beautiful.

Thanks!

yeah! I can't wait to see more pics. Your budgie is my favourite colour ever. I hope to get a spangle that colour some day. Thanks for the comment re my flock. They are great. Wylie is really an awesome green. He looks flourescent at times. I'll be posting some new pics soon. And I have tons in the pictures thread if you look back. And look out - they really are addictive. I started with two in January and now I have 12 - yikes!!!!

• Member ID:  1,592
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  817
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,305

He's so pretty. They're so cute when they're babies. Flash looks like he'll have a great personality once he gets used to everything. I saw a little guy that looked just like him a couple of weeks ago that I really wanted to get.

Edited by HurdyBirdy
  • 13 years later...

• Member ID:  9,192
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  5

Hi everyone. I just adopted a young budgie today. He hasn't eaten yet. He did peck on a stem of seeds I offered him.