Sign in to follow this  
Guest lozza_139

Mother Budgie Attacking Babies Beak

Guest lozza_139

Hi, this afternoon one of my mother budgies atacked it's baby, when I checked to see the babies one of them had a blood-covered head and beak had been attacked to the point where I can see it's tounge. There is nothing left of it's beak.

I was wondering if anyone knows why a budgie would do this so I could try to stop it from happening again.

Thank you

Laurie

Edited by lozza_139

Guest Lin

Firstly, pull the baby, and any other babies. Take this poor one to an avian vet IMMEDIATELY. It's ahard to say why she has done it - are you breeding in a clony situation? Or is it closed breeding? Anything scare the Mum? How old is the baby? Maybe she is ready to breed again. If you can give us some more info, we can help you out. In the meantime, Dad should feed the babies, if not, you will need to handfeed. But the little one really needs urgent vet attention - without a useable beak he will need help feeding for the rest of his life.

Guest lozza_139

I have taken the one she attacked out and also the mother, the father is feeding the other two. I am not breeding a clony situation, but it is closed breeding. Nothing has seemed to have scared the mum as everything was okay yesterday and the other two babies are good. The baby came out of the box so I left it in the bottom of the cage where the father was feeding it the one that had been attacked has no top beak at all but has a bottom beak. The one that got attacked is the youngest of the three of them. The babies are about 4 or 5 weeks old, fully feathered but not feeding themselves as yet.

well mum attacked them becuase she wants to empty th nest again to start the next round. Please call your avain vet NOW tell the receptionist ( who is normally a vet ***/nurse) what happened and beg to have the bird seen too. Infection can set in quickly here and the bird need to be seen rightaway, as lin stated.

Guest Lin

For different reasons birds can turn like this. The most likely suggestion is she is ready to lay another clutch, and has decided that the babies should leave the box. Dad should be fine with the babies, and, see what the vet says about the one with the beak issue. Let us know what the vet says - helps us to help others when we get feedback. If you can post a picture too, then we might have some suggestions for you. In the meantime, you need to set yourself up to feed the baby - a syringe sounds like the go here. How confident are you with that? Have a look around this site - I know I myself needed help with feeding babies earlier this year, so there are a few posts to do with it.

Good luck, and, please, the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask, so ask whatever you need to - it is a very scary thing to have this happen, and we are all here to support you.

Guest lozza_139

Hello, thank you for your replys.

The bird was already out of the box and the other two that were not attacked were in the box. So I wonder why she had picked on the one that was out already, the father wasn't feeding it but he feeds the other two in the box

Guest Lin

Who knows why budgies do anything? :ausb: She might have seen that one as competition for the box, or maybe Dad was stopping her from getting to the other 2,and, when a woman is angry someone, anyone has got to get it :)

Please let us know how the injured one gets on, we are all praying for a quick recovery

This is just heartwrenching to read about...I feel so helpless for this poor little one. Please let us know what has happened since the attack and has the baby been to the vets? Please update.....

Guest eterri

Beak injuries are VERY painful for budgies. :blink: Please call the vet if you haven't done so already. This is most definitely an emergency. Do you need any help finding an avian vet?

That sounds so scary. I hope your little baby is going to be okay soon.

Guest WoodieCloud315

Poor baby budgie :blink::blink: I hope this little one pulls through okay. I would definitely separate this little guy or girl from its mother. Poor thing :fear I can't imagine how the little one will survive with no upper beak.

I would guess the little one tried to get back in the nest box. Normally a hack or two is enough to keep the baby from trying it too many times, and mom will usually stop at that. Since the first baby fledged, s/he would now be seen as a threat to the ones still in the box. Once they leave for good they generally are not allowed near the opening anymore. I also think she's about had it with this clutch and wants to start another family. What a horrible thing to have happened. Please let us know what the vet says.

Any new news on this baby budgie ?????????????? :fear

I think some bird species (including parrots) kill their babies (the runt) in order for the rest to survive. Maybe that has something to do with it. Keep us uupdated.

budgies don't they will make sure all are feed while in the box. They will breeding continious clutches while the feeding is good in the wild becuase they know numbers is safer. Yes when the food runs out they will leave the nest sites as well as any babies not old enough to fly but will not kill on of a clutch for the other to live.

I am concerned that we havent heard any follow up on this baby budgie...........what's happening ? :P

The bird was already out of the box and the other two that were not attacked were in the box

as it was out of the nest are you sure it was not the father did you provide a platform so the chick could hide underneath

A Female has attacked the baby from another female budgie when she was gone to feed herself . I suddenly came to the room to see what happened and noticed this . budgie's mum came to the nest but I feel like she is now killing her own budgie instead of taking care of the attacked baby . She is constantly pointing her beak to the  baby's wounds . I couldn't see that so I have separated them . Please could you let me know if that is common or the mother doesn't want this baby now as the baby was attacked by some other female .