Sign in to follow this  
Guest Freeman

The Adventures Of Atticus The Latino Prince

Guest Freeman

Hi all

Got my first budgie last week (11/7) from another member here Cindy. Atticus was born 9/5/06. Still unsure of the sex but for now he is a boy. Just thought I would start this topic so I can keep a constant little diary for him and who ever is interested.

Over the last couple of days I have been having him on my hand eating millet. As soon as I open his little home he jumps straight onto my hand now - no need for steps ups :D. Today I thought I would try for some photos while he was muching away, but he got nervous and went for a fly and landed on his favourite perch - ontop of the curtain rail. After some coaching - waving around millet:) - he came and flew back onto my finger - my clever boy made me proud :). I think it was a fluck though :) as after some more flying he tried again and again. He would fly down and hover and then fly back up to the curtain rail, perhaps my finger holding technique is wrong. Hoping he will do it again tomorrow :D

I bought him a yellow budgie buddy the other day. He now snuggles it, oh so cute :). can't wait to get him camera proud so I can show him off to you all :)

Cindy if you would like to post a picutre of Atticus's parents that would be great for his little family tree :)

how cute that is neat I will enjoy reading your entries

One thing that I have read and will suggest is the plastic buddy (I know there is a difference of opinion and you make your own choice) but if you want him to bond to you they suggest not to have mirrors and budgie buddies. Some birds can become very protective of these objects and become defensive over a period of time.

I know when Blinks was a single budgie Bea had removed his mirror which was his favorite toy, so you may want to talk to her about her experience.

I didn't put anything in for Pretty when he was a single from the beginning because of many people on this forum advised against it and just reading through sites and books.

Anywhoo glad he is coming along well :)

Wow sounds like a little treasure ^_^ Can't wait to here more :D

Guest Freeman

Thanks Lovey for your advice. Poor Atticus will loss his budgie buddy tomorrow ^_^. It's so funny that they get protective over there little toys, next they will want to run the world :D. Maybe I will ration it and let him have it once a week if he is a good boy and does his homework :)

that is a very good idea

I believe Bea would give Blinks his mirror when he came out and it wasn't a matter of training for Bea but you can use it to train and tame.

See mirror or budgie friend or not they will get attached to something they are social creatures that need number around them. Pretty got way too attached to his plastic balls and I mean too attached so I had to take them out and only give them to him when he was out and about. If I put them back in the cage he was right there talking to them, banging them all day long it was not healthy just taking to 1 object all day long that you ignore the world around you ^_^.

Guest maximillian

Seeing a budgie play with a ball would be sooo funny. I might have to buy one of those & try it out! What funny creatures budgies are!! :(Laughing out loud):

Cheers,

Tracey

you will be surprised how much they like them because of the bell inside

I hung my up and then when I took it out hung it on the side of the cage because he kept taking the ball and flinging it over the edge. I took a video it is somewhere in the Budgie Picture forum probably back 4 months but it was cute. ^_^ - I bet if you wanted you could do a search and find it.

Edited by lovey

Guest maximillian

It's funny, 'cause I saw them in the pet shop, but thought they'd put them in the wrong place! I thought they were cats toys!!! ^_^

Will have to go buy one now! (Hubby will kill me, 'cause I just got a bigger & better cage today!!) :(Laughing out loud):

Cheers,

Tracey

(Laughing out loud) they sell them for budgies and cats ^_^, mine where actually marked as budgies but they cat ones are exactly the same.

Guest Phoebe
^_^ And, if you buy 2 sets and take one apart, Atticus will just love to throw the loose balls off the top of the cage when he is out and you will love to learn how to be a budgie slave and pick them up and return them! :D

Guest Lin

Oh, the slave training begins :D:P:P You will soon find out who rules the house - and it's not you or your hubby :ausb: Can't wait to hear all about your Atticus's training, and can't wait for pics :P

Edited by **Liv**

Thanks Lovey for your advice. Poor Atticus will loss his budgie buddy tomorrow :ausb:. It's so funny that they get protective over there little toys, next they will want to run the world :D. Maybe I will ration it and let him have it once a week if he is a good boy and does his homework :P

My first budgie Giny had this plastic buddy too, but she was attacking it, so I had to remove it - now she's got a real buddy and looks happier :P

I believe the attacking comes from frustration that the plastic budgie is not recepicating the attention back.

Guest Freeman

This week Atticus has found his appetite. Every time I look in on him he is feeding his face and is still enticed by Millet. I call him the millet pig :( and hope to teach him to ask for his millet :book:

Are budgies moody? at the beginning of the week he was very active and training was going well - on tues I had him continually coming to my hand with no problem, sitting on my head and shoulder but wednesday came around and for the rest of the week all I could get him to do was sit on my finger. I am hoping this week will be a bit more eventful...

I did give him his first misting, not his favourite thing, but he was okay with it. I had him straight on my finger as soon as he had dried off a bit and gave him some millet for being a good boy - I think he will doing anything for millet :(

Is it possible that budgies are attuned to colour, I usually wear dark colours and the other day i had a pink jumper on and he seemed quite hesitatant to come on to my finger..... perhaps this could be a training technique ... wear certain colours when you have to do unfavourable things to them, and other colours when you want to play - mmm I think I have gone budgie bad :(

I do know that budgie can see color exactly like us and even ultraviolet so the answer is yes. I have heard of some budgies being sensitive to what their owners where. I know if I where a white shirt that Pretty doesn''t like to jump on my shoulder as much as if I wear a shirt with more color.

I would say budgies have hormonal swings not sure about mood swings. Did this mood start after you misted him? Because he will remember that especially if he didn't like it. Now he wouldn't be mad at you that is a human emotion but a little scared or taken back afraid you might do it again.

Use the millet as a continued reward treat and he will come around. I only use it for rewards I don't hang it up on their cage, in fact the only time they get it is when they are sitting my on finger :(