Novice budgie owner....

Guest unquiet_gravy

Guest unquiet_gravy

Hiya to everybody, I've just joined. I bought my first budgie back in April and he is a really sociable, tame bird. However since his cere turned bright blue, he has become, how can I put it? very randy. He isnt interested in the little plastic friend I bought for him, and prefers our hands!! A few days ago I noticed his beak looked very flakey and cracked. Yesterday I spent the night out with friends, returning at noon today to find feathers loose in his cage and Tweety unble to fly. I dont know if they have fallen out of his wings or if he has pulled them out. He grooms himself a lot and is very wary of trying new foods. His favourites are the fruit and nut budgie treats on sticks; his leat favourite, cuttlefish, he just walks all over it and poops. He will steal crumbs of bread though, and has been known to steal little bits of cooked potato and carrot from our plates.

I have been reading the posts on LB..... am I having the same problems? Usually he is quite noisy and chatty, he seems quiet tonight. I dont know if he is sulking after being alone or if this is also health related. :D

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

How old is your budgy? (what a fab name you have!!!) it sounds to me like he is having his first hormone hit! moulting, getting randy, poor thing, (Laughing out loud)! Is he getting a little bit snappy aswel? it often seems to follow the other two! make sure he has top quality bird seed, try him with a bit of broccoli and other veggies (sometimes they prefer them lightly steamed to raw) Dont worry if he only young and not very adventurous with his food, its often the case. To me, it really does sound like a full on hit of hormones! let us know how he gets on :D

Welcome to Adams wonderful site!

Anne xx

• 1 month later...
Guest unquiet_gravy

Hiya Ann, thanks for the info, you were quite right! It was his first moult and he has fully recovered and is his usual randy self. :)

I am now pondering over getting him a girlfriend, as I am beginning to feel a bit used and abused :)

Guest angel121

:) Hi i got my budgie in June this year and he went all randy too so i felt i should get him a friend and now 5 weeks have passed and he lives next door to a shy grey boy budgie but is very happy and his randy sessions have now been reduced down to only the odd day. He calmed down a lot after his first moult too. But still hangs onto his bell and humps the perch making little noises as he does so.

:(Laughing out loud): :)